Hi. My brother was diagnosed with temporal lobe epilepsy. He said his attacks come suddenly and he feels like in a dream. Yesterday we were sitting in the room and he had hallucinations ov voices and people. And we were alone in the room. It lasted for a minute or two, and after that he was confused for a few minutes. I would like to hear how is it treated?

Hi. I suffer from temporal lobe epilepsy. I control my conditions with meds for partial seizures. However, many seizures med can be used to treat temporal lobe epilepsy. Some people use combination of these meds. You didn`t say how old is your brother. For very young children with partial seizures, Tegretol and Dilantin may be prescribed. Children over 3 years of age take Frisium. Children over 4 years of age four usually take Trileptal. Dapakote and other valproate meds are usually prescribed for kids over 10 years of age. FDA approved seizure meds include Tomapax, Keppra, Neurontin, Lamictal, Zonegran, Gabitril and pheobarbital. Surgery is an option for some people with temporal lobe epilepsy. The outlook varies. Some 50% of kids with temporal lobe epilepsy outgrow their condition.

A suggestion for anyone who has recently started meds. Do not stop taking them, as they may not work again, when you restart (if they worked at initially). I have been through all potential meds for TLE now, carbamezapine worked initially, but I stopped taking it. Now no current meds work.
Also, from my experience, cigs and alchohol bring on seizures when using meds. (I have read medical reasons for this). My specialist told me that they were fine, if not over done, but this was not correct for me.