Hello! I have been suffering from severe headaches in the last couple of months. A college from work told me to try keppra. I looked for info on keppra and it is said that it is used to help with seizures. Could I use it for headaches anyway?

Hi there! I suffer from partial seizures and I have been taking keppra for some time. I don’t know if it is used to treat/prevent headaches but I know that I was experiencing headaches while on it. It was one of the side effects I was having with this drug. Sorry I couldn’t help you more! I just thought I could share this info for you! You may find it useful!

I have been using Keppra for Chronic Daily Headaches and Chronic Migraines. Yes, it does help. Not only does it control the Migraine attacks (as they are called), it is slowly helping to resolve the daily headachs as well. It works by stopping the "spark" let's call it that starts the Migraine attack in the same way it (in higher doses) stops the spark that starts a seizure from traveling through the brain.

If you are having serious headaches and or unrelenting headaches the only worthwhile endeavor is to find a headache specialist to treat you. Mine is a neurologist that treats nothing but chronic headaches. Other doctors aren't much help as they don't fully understand the problems.

Hope this helps!

I have suffered from Chronis Daily Headaches for years now, and have tried Topamax, Depakote, and just today my doctor and i decided to try the Keppra. Topamax worked, but every few months we would have to increase the dosage b/c my headaches were getting more frequent. The depakote worked as well, but i experienced the weight gain and hair loss with that, so i wanted to try something else. Hopefully the keppra will work. This was the first website i have found that has had any information from an actual patient about keppra working for headaches. So...Thanks!!!

is it normal for keppra to make me have pain my the midbrain?

Thank you for your comments about Keppra helping with your chronic headaches. I just started keppra for migraines this past month and it has cut down the frequency and severity of the migraines I was getting almost daily. The only thing is I have been a little more forgetful and spacey but I'm wondering if my brain and body just need to adjust to the new med. I have tried topamax, gabapentin (Horrible! - made me disoriented), etc. but keppra is the only thing which has actually worked to ease the migraines. I'm excited about it because I've actually cried when migraines were crushing for 3 days straight a few weeks ago.(At the end of 3 weeks straight of bad headaches due to barometric pressure bouncing up and day daily). The crushing headaches usually just happen when there is a thunderstorm, but this past weekend when thunderstorms were surrounding me, i had headaches, but they were not crushing as before. Praying that all of you on this site get relief from your pain. Be blessed!

I take keppra 250 mg twice a day.i started jan 2018.i don't have cronic migraines but in the past ive had three seizures all were shortly after a migraine.i been ruled out as epilep. in dec 2017 I had a migraine hit me.i don't remember any of this,just what my daughter tells me.i went the her house,was satting in the drive-way my son in law saw me and came up to to me.he said I had no ideal where i was who I was or anybody.took me to local hosp I was totally unresponsive for 8 hrs,was then transferred to big city hosp.ran all kinds test mri,eeg ekg,you name it.when I came back around some 24 hrs later,i had no memory of the past 40 some odd years.i didn't know my kids, grand kids.NOBODY.after a matter of hours my memory started coming back as far as family.but from the past was gone.my buddies come to visit ask me things from the past fifty years take to different places I knew way back when.my memory retuned pretty quick in the past three months,but still have gaps.i remembered how to drive and leaned things such as skills,i never lost those memorys.my neros say its tga- transient global amnesia.a harmless illness that goes away after time but can be brought on by migraines and other causes(,look it up).id rather not take keppra,i don't like the way it makes feel some what fuzzy minded,sleepness,tired etc .but I don't want to end up" lost in space" agin. up until a week ago I was tolerating keppra with no problems,but started feeling a little spacey last 3 days.felt like a migraine coming on,tingling my face,randon thought going through my mind etc.i lay in the floor away from furn took deep breaths, it passed.so keppra works in my case.BUT one thing(,which is kind funny,) prior to this past week I didn't smoke but I had the worst craving for a smoke,sooo I bought some..i can know trace the sick feeling after taking keppra the past week with smoking.time to quit smoking I think .anyway I feel confident enough to drive etc.taking keppra--.so good luck with keppra.

well,iam going to do a 180 degree turn from my last post.primary doc had me wean off keppra,i cut down to 125 twice a day,still felt like c**p.after a month on the 125 dose.been off three days now,feel halfway human today.but I still have some lingering sick feelings,dizziness,forgetfullness etc,but they come and go.unlike you guys my migraines are minimal,maybe 4-6 times a year.i pop couple of aspiran,and work them off in a day or so.doc and hospital staff are puzzelled on the seizure,but they assured me the tga episode is likely one time deal.and I would outgrow it.wellll I better get to growing,iam already 70!!.the time between my past two seizures were almost 20 years,my migraines are always brought on by heat and missing meals.so iam going to try and stay off the keppra if I can.iam sure my neuro will agree when I see her in july.something interesting today,i feel like migraine coming-on today,i took a 125 mg keppra lay down for 30 minutes,i felt great ,still do.so maybe for me keppra may stop a migraine dead..ill try it agin if I get another migraine,see if it works.heck I might even retire from engineering this year and spend my kids inheritance.so good luck,ill keep you posted if the keppra stops the onset of a migraine.