Anyone here have seizures only while sleeping? Mine are lasting a couple of minutes. Is this common?

My kid is having seizures while sleeping from recently. I took him for some tests, EKG, CAT, MRI and they said that nothing is wrong with him, just that he has seizures. It’s hard for me as a mother to understand how he has never even been sick before and now he suddenly has a seizure disorder with no explanation as to what caused.

my niece in law has just started this problem too after becoming a woman and doctors say they can not find anything wrong after proper testing.

I am 30 years old and just started having seizures in my sleep unfortunetely my son is the one who witnessed it. I have had test done and I was told if they came back fine I would still have to take the medicine.

To those of you who have questions about sezuires and can not get a straight answer from a doctor....rest assure you are not the only one. I had grand-mal sezuires as a teenager and went through the process every test imaginable...CT's MRI's numberous urines gruelling questions of are you on drugs, what did you do different, etc. the end result is they NEVER found out what was wrong, they put me on medicaiton and I eventually grew out of it. Don't get too frustrated with the doctors because they can not give you a clear, clear answer. The mind and nerve system is very complicated and sometimes they just can't explaine becuase they really don't have an explanation. When testing fails them - they simply are left guessing. This doesn't mean they don't want to and they are not discounting your true fears and anxiety.

I am very sad to report that my 10 yeard old daughter just exhibited signs of a sezuire at church yesterday. Which is why I am on this site today. As much as I wanted to freak out and beleive me I was, I just remained calm because I didn't want my daughter to get upset about it. I do not want to put her through the riggers of testing with the end result of I do not know. For now, I put her in my bed with me at night and I am monitoring her. If I see anything else I will take her in for some testing and accept the medication they will give me to control it. Will I leave with an answer - probably not. The most important thing to me is for the sezuires to be under control so we can resume some normalacy in our life.

Just my thoughts and experiences.

I can totally relate to all of you. I have had "sleep" seizures since I was 12 years old. I'm now 34 years old. I would go years without having a seizure and then out of nowhere I would have have one. Recently, in one night, I had 5 seizures. I have never had that many in one night. Now a lot of things have happened in my life in the past 7 months. In February I was in a car accident where the other driver didn't survive. My boyfriend broke up with me because he couldn't handle things with the accident and some personal things in his life. I just finished college (that's a good thing), but now I'm looking for a job. That's stressful in this economy. I truly believe that mine are now back with a vengeance because of stress.
I am on Depakote (just recently switched off Keppra because I was having too many seizures) and that seems to control them when I'm stress-free or have much less stress. Anyone have any tried and true methods to reduce stress? OR...is anyone currently on anti-seizure meds AND anti-anxiety meds at the same time? I wondered if that would help me at all.

I have had seizures in my arm, in my sleep since i was about 14. I am now 21 and i have recently been having full body seizures in my sleep. I thought i was the only one out there who was having them because the neologists I have seen have not come across my case. They have assumed i have epilepsy, dystonia, and/or a bad sleeping disorder. I refused to take any medication because i have seen the side affects of epilepsy medication and as the doctors cannot be sure thats what i have, I don't believe i should be on it. If they can prove thats what i have then i will go on the meds but i do not want to be a zombie all day because I am fine during the day, its just that i hardly get any sleep. It is really quit scary because no one knows what I am going through and how frustrating it is. I have had so many tests and nothing has come up. It's just good to know there are other people out there with the same problem... (Well its not good, I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but you know what i mean).
I am at university, and I too believe it could be to do with stress, as I had a bad one the night before my exam. I also find it worse, the night after a big night out. When i had a good sleeping pattern going it improved, and when i had all nighters up with assignments or going out, it got worse. So i think it is important for proper sleeping patterns, lack of stress and a healthy lifestyle.

I wholeheartedly agree with your insight.

Two seizures I've had while sleeping were in periods of great stress for me

lissa_marie2003 wrote:

My husband just had another seizure while sleeping. This only seems to happen under stress. The doctors can find nothing wrong with him, and it scares him a lot. We just don't know what to do.

My husband has had seizures for around 10 years. He only has had them while sleeping. He is 38 yrs old. He takes valproic acid (a high dose) every day and sees a neurologist and still has seizures about once or twice a year. Tests all come back ok. The don't know why he has them. I do think they are stress related but wish we could do something to totally stop them. Does anyone know if there is a difference between valproic acid and depakote except the price?

Hey to you guys who say you are having sleep seizers, what are you refering to? Lately i have been half waking up but my thoughts are tottally out of controll and I think it has to do with stress, when this happens i cannot controll my thoughts or my body , i usually wake up not where i went to sleep. People who have witnessed this claim that i am running around muttering things and that there is no way to wake me up. I am wondeing if this is a sleep sizure, i went to the doctor and they diddnt say anything was wrong. I am beginning to worry.

I have had sleeping seizures since I was 15, I'm 32 now. They are basically all controlled taking Trileptal and Lamictal combined. As a female I still on occasion have a seizure or 5 during monthly hormone swing. In those cases I can usually take an extra pill or two before bed to help keep my problems under control (though have to be careful I don't accidentally overdose my self, it's happened and getting sick from it is never fun).

Sometimes if I have a sleeping seizure I can break out of it conciously be cause the violent shaking wakes me up. If at all possible, I will get up and try to stay awake to avoid another seizure. If I can't keep my self awake, seizures will start chaining together that is to say each time I have one and I fall back asleep I wil soon have another and another each time getting worse until I'm exausted and in those cases I can almost always garunty I'll bite my tongue. After 17 years of this madness I have lost most of the taste buds on the sides of my tongue.

One thing positive about having exclusively sleeping seizures (if any thing can be found positive about having this disease) is it makes it easier to get a drivers license. I assume most states have regulations similar to here controlling people with epilepsy or seizure disorders who want to aquire a license to drive motor vehicals, BUT doctors can sign wavers for people who have being diagnosed with only having seizures when they sleep (with the understanding that you don't drive while sleeping). Although if you do get a license it is very strongly suggested that you never drive while sleepy.

Last thing to add. If you find you or someone you care about has been cursed with this disease watch out for depression, angry out burst after a "spell", and the ever present why me; it has taken me years to accept my situation and that I will never "grow out of" this. If necessary find some one you can talk to that can fully sympathize with the problem.

I started having the seizures while I was sleeping at the age of 26. But mine seem to have been caused a major head injury. One that almost killed me. Mine are a little different I wake up and walk around for about 30 minutes or so, then when I wake up out of it, I can't remember what happened in the last week. The memories prior to the seizure come back, but never what happened during the seizure. Which includes walking around in the street and trying to walk into my neighbors house at about 3 in the morning in my undies. MRI, CT, EEG show now abnormalities. But do get frustrated with the doctors. Because doctors are not gods, although they think they are. My neurologists didn't listen to a word I said or answer a single question. An I don't know would be fine with me. But they just nod their heads and don't say a word. My advice to all is to try to find a decent neurologist, although it will probably take a few years because no one will see you without a reference, even if you want to see a different neurologist in the same hospital. Mine seem to be under control with Keppra or Leviatracem. By the way cops are even more useless and lazy for doctors, they didn't even investigate me being hit in the head with a bat with 30 witnesses (too much work)

Hello. My life partner had her first seizure this past Oct. and has not been on medication for seizures until today. My partner had two seizures lastnight in her sleep. She has now had the three and they all have happened while she is sleeping. She has taken all the CAT scans, CTs and EEGs and no answer as to why this is happening. As I read through others stories, I realize we are not alone. This is the scariest thing I think I have ever witnessed. She is not to drive for 6 months, but reading other stories, its def a good thing. I am simply terrified for her and what this could meen for her for the rest of her life. We had not done anything out of the ordinary lastnight before we went to bed or even through the day. I have been the only person, because I sleep next to her, to know and be able to describe what it looks like. I am scared to go to sleep tonight... I am scared for her to sleep..I am scared I will miss something and she could be in harm. I am scared to wake up to her convulsing uncontrollably again, and I cant do anything to help her. What are others doing when a seizure happens? I just keep her as safe as I can and call 911..

I've been on Keppra for 6 months. I recently had a seizure while sleeping. I woke up, and felt nauseous, and dizzy , and confused. My tongue also hurt and I had a headache. I don't know whether it was a full-seizure or a partial seizure, but I'm known to have grand-mal seizures. Luckily, I was still on my bed, and didn't need to go to the hospital. My medication is now increased, and I actually haven't been diagnosed with epilepsy, noone really knows the trigger, and there is no known cause. My seizures happen randomly, and without any kind of warning, which is pretty scary.