I started taking Wellbutrin SR about 3 years ago for depression. It worked well on depression, however after loosing up to 500,000 dollars gambling, and simply not being able to stop..I decided it might be the Wellbutrin. I contacted my Doctor and stopped the Wellbutrin and now all of my urges to gamble have stopped. I no longer have this compulsive behavior. I want to know if this has effected anyone else and to warn others that if you have any tedancy to gamble, it is my experience that I would not take this drug.

Some people have reported experiencing compulsive and addictive behavior while on Wellbutrin, such as severe mood changes, sexual behaviors, and picking up addictions. It's not very common, but I know of a couple of people on this website who have stated that they've experienced a difference in their lives such as you've described while on the drug. Perhaps in the future a report will come out about this drug's effects.

I have also been on the generic form of wellbutrin for about 3 years. Before that I sometimes went to the casino with my mom lost 20 bucks and was crushed. about a month after taking bupropion I started gambling $1000 to $2000 per night. when I stopped taking it for a short period all of my gambling compulsions had gone.

Bupropion is supposed to treat compulsive or pathalogic gambling, so how is it that it can treat people who already have a gambling problem to lower their desire to gamble and turn people who did not have a problem before taking the med into pathological gamblers?

I noticed my gambling went up after taking Wellbutrin also and that I didn't get very upset after losing

Just like some antidepressants can cause thoughts of suicide so can this drug ... increase drug and other addictions.. most addictions are based upon dopamine neurotransmitters.... etc...

some anti-depressants can bring out bi-polar disorder in some people. if you notice you're taking more risks (like gambling) or having weird mood swings, it could be a sign that you might have bi-polar disorder. also, when you go from being rock-bottom depressed, to feeling like you're on top of the world, you almost have an invincibility feeling. that's why it's possible that some people can commit suicide while on anti-depressants. before, you wouldn't have the energy to even roll out of bed, let alone kill yourself. now you can do anything, like losing large amounts of money, shopping until you drop, and even killing yourself. these side-affects aren't good, and you should try experimenting with other medications before settling. medicine should fit you, not the other way around.

I have always gambled but about 3 months ago I started welbutrin and my gambling has increased dramatically, at levels I have never bet.
It is like I am in a trance and driven to loose money.
JPC

I also took wellbutrin for depression. Its strange because I told the doctor I was a compulsive gambler and was suffering depression from my addiction and was looking to stop gambling. He prescribed Wellbutrin or the generic equivalent. after that, my gambling spiralled way out of control. I started stealing from my employer to fuel my habit. I couldnt understand why I was doing it. I knew it was wrong but couldnt stop. Before that, I never even thought of stealing to feed my gambling habit. I had got fired from previous jobs for doing piss poor work but never stealing. I actually had some years when I turned a nice profit from gambling.
and you are so right, its like I am in a trance and driven to lose all my money.
I wonder if we should seek legal advice? Let me know what you think, guys!

I can also say that while on buproprion (and also abilify and cymbalta) I have for the last two months gone on a gambling frenzy.  I spent my entire paycheck two months in a row and have put myself in serious financial jeopardy.

Not on Wellbutrin currently, but I never had a desire to gamble much before, but now, after on Paxil, am a compulsive gambler, having lost close to $150,000.

I had taken Wellbutrin for many years.  A terrible problem with slot machine gambling.  If I heard a cash register ring in the right way I could not stop myself from getting out to the casino to play, I just had to go!  It was awful.  This went on for years until I finally self banned myself from the casino and would be arrest for trespassing if I go there.  My retired doctor called me one night and told me she was listening a program on NPR about Wellbutrin and gambling and thought she better call me.  I stopped taking it last Spring... it took a while but the compulsive urges that just wracked me are completely gone.  In fact I went to one casino that is far away that I didn't ban myself from just because of the distance and after losing $40 I was done.  It made me sick to be there and I left.  Usually the paycheck and more was gone and I'd leave when I had no resources to draw from anymore.  I don't know how to get the word out though.  How many are suffering the same problem?  

I've also had issue. Compulsive gambling only happens after downing a few drinks... Just stopped the med as of today.

I didn't gamble but I took Buproprion or however you spell it like a little bit my junior year of high school and I think I was fine... Then I started it again last August and just stopped it. I don't know if it was the drug or me, but I definitely felt "numb". Like I did things normally out of character for me, but it didn't hurt me. I just kept sleeping around and drinking heavily despite the pain I was causing other people. I don't know... I think it has a little to do with Welbutrin. 

KimP wrote:

Wellbutrin, per my MD and my own use, is similar to speed. I lose my appetite, talk too much, and overspend while using it.

Your story makes sense to me; I wonder how many others have been similarly affected. Class action lawsuit?

I'm on it and went crazy gambling. Have just cut dose in half and am getting counseling. Still don't know if this has anything to do with it.
C.