Hello. I have just started taking wellbutrin and on a night out I took two glasses of brandy. The following morning ( yesterday) I woke up with my throat closed and swollen. I don’t know how to react now because I don’t know it is because of alcohol or am I not taking this drug so well. The doc told that I can use alcohol but moderately and I didn’t drink much.

Swelling and closing of a throat is one of the side effects of wellbutrin. I think that alcohol consumption had nothing to do with it but don’t take my word for it. You should report any side effects to your doctor and decide with him if you need to change your treatment or not.

I have never heard of a side effect of Welbutrin being a swollen throat. I have taken this med for almost 4 years now. I have been suffering from a swollen throat feeling for 3 months now. Did I just develop an allergy to the Welbutrin? Hum?

That's a serious allergy. You might find yourself unable to breath. Stop taking the drug and see your doctor.

I've been taking wellbutrin for a couple of months now and have recently developed an "allergy" to alcohol because of it. At first, I noticed only that my tolerance had declined, but it was not a problem. Now, everything is great until I have even the slightest bit of alcohol, and then I begin itching all over my body, my eyes begin to burn, my eyelids swell, welts begin popping up on my skin, my lips swell, my hands swell and burn, it feels like my ears (inside) are burning & swelling, etc. Interestingly, though, no swollen throat issues. Nonetheless, I am no longer consuming a drop of alcohol.

I would guess you have had an allergic reaction to the brandy rather than the wellbutrin, if you don't have adverse reactions to the wellbutrin otherwise.

I've been taking wellbutrin to help stop smoking. My throat is all swollen. The medical person I saw is treating me for thrush but doesn't think that's what's wrong.

I've been on Welbutrin XL for one week. Within an hour of taking the pill,
I get a moderately sore/congested throat. Pharyngitis (sore throat) is
one of the common side effects listed for this drug on Epocrates.com.
By the next am, it's gone, but then it's time for another pill. I'm also
experiencing a headache and dry mouth. Hopefully, these will go away
once my body has adjusted to the med.

Does this happen every time you drink alcohol? I am wondering because I broke out in terrible hives after 4 weeks of being on Wellbutrin, but I have to admit that I was drinking (alot more then I typically do.) I stopped taking Wellbutrin because I couldn't identify what caused the rash. But I was worried about it!

Drank 2/12 glasses wine tonight after taking 300mg generic (budeprion) this morning. What should I do? I'm really concerned after reading about possible seizures.

I have been taking wellbutrin xL fro 4 weeks and I have had a sore throat for approximately 4 weeks now.

I have been taking wellbutrin and lamictal for a few months to treat depression and have a strange feeling in my throat/neck, a sort of tightning with trouble swallowing. is this what you mean by sore throat? could this be the drugs?

This same thing happened to me. I thought it was a white wine allergy, but two drinks with vodka did the same thing. Feet started itching, white bumps, swollen lips and tongue. then threw up all over the place in the morning. Before I started taking the medication, took at least 6 drinks to hurl. Does anyone know if this goes away if you discontinue wellbutrin?

Hello! I googled "buproprion + alcohol + itch" and this thread was a top result. I've been on the med for 5-6 wks now and I had no problem. I had also quit drinking bc I was scared of seizures. Well, recently a change in my life situation gave me a lot more opportunity to party, which I LOVE to do. Not so much on the night of drinking, but the next two days I would itch so bad that I couldn't stop scratching myself. It was AWFUL! Well, I haven't had a drink in two days and now I'm 99% itch free. I never had my throat swell or anything like that... but this def doesn't seem to mix well with booze. Good luck to all!

I have been having the same reaction to even the slightest amount of alcohol,within a few minutes of even a taste of any type of alcohol I begin to feel very sick; extreme head ache, neck pain, burning eyes, any light is very painful to my eyes,itching scalp,sweating, swollen glands ,sore throat. It takes almost two days to recover. I have been taking 300 mg of brand name Wellbutrin for over a year.I thought this might go away with time but it's getting worse. As time goes by, I find that side effects and interactions are getting to the point where, even though its helps with the depression,I question the treatment. Most people talk about the side effects initially.For me, I am developing greater sensitivity much later on