I am a smoker for over than 35 years now.
I usually smoked a pack a day, but there was some periods when I smoked a three packs a day!
I have never had any problems caused by my smoking such as lung diseases or similar.
Until now!
I’m 60 years old now and I started to feel discomfort during normal respiratory actions. I can hardly breath and I started to spit blood and some black discharge.
My doctor said that I’m in a big risk to get lung or bronchi carcinoma and tuberculosis and I should quit smoking immediately or my life is threaten.
I can imagine my day without a cigarette so I started to doubt in my will and desire to quit with smoking.
My friend told me about some Wellbutrin medication that could help me to quit smoking.
Anybody used it? Is it worth trying?

I used it for three months and I quit smoking. I was a bad smoker for 20 years before.
Wellbutrin is indicated as an aid to smoking cessation treatment.
Treatment with this medication should be initiated while the patient is still smoking, because it is required to achieve steady-state blood levels of bupropion (main ingredient of Wellbutrin).
You must understand that this medication is not enough for you to quit smoking. You must have strong will also and help of the family and friends.
The goal of therapy with Wellbutrin is complete abstinence.
You didn’t mention did you drink alcohol in your life because it could cause cirrhosis and Wellbutrin should be used with extreme caution in patients with severe hepatic cirrhosis.
Think about it, contact your doctor to get more details and start with your therapy as soon as possible and in a few months you will be a new man, like my self.

devenny wrote:

My doctor prescribed it to me a week in advance of an exact quit date that I had for myself. That way its in your system before you quit. You have to lst make up your mind that you are determined that this is what you need to do, and on that quit date you begin. Wellbutrin worked on me in an opposite way. My side effect was extreme depression and I was crying all the time before I even got to my quit date! The morning I woke up(my quit date morning), I was crying in bed and I wasnt crying because I was quitting smoking....I didnt know why, and didnt even feel like smoking! My sister called the pharmacist and she told her to get me right off the wellbutrin, that it was working on me in the opposite way it was suppose too. I went off from it that day and and felt alot better as the day went on. That day was my last day of smoking after being a smoker for about 30 years. I have not touched one since and I thought I would never be able to do it. That was on December 31, 2000. You have to want to do it. I prayed and asked God to take it from me, that I could not do it on my own. He did....I never had bad cravings that day and I have totally overcome the thoughts of ever starting up again!....YAY!!!!!!!!

Hello! Maybe I will go a bit off topic here, and not mention wellbutrin but it is about quit smoking, so I will just add in what I have to say. I agree with what sistacrista said about quitting. No product will help you go off cigarettes. You need to be prepared for this challenge and want it really badly, and if it significantly ruining your health ( having troubles breathing and stuff ), you have an extra reason to do so. I was a heavy smoker for 8 years. Now, I know 8 years is nothing compared to 35, but still I was an addict. I would never forget to bring cigarettes with me, and if I ran out at 1 am, I would put my cloths on and go out to get some more. But after 8 years I decided it was enough. As I didn’t believe myself I would make it, I went to the clinic and asked for help there. They told me that the best possible way is abstinence, and nothing else will make me quit. So, I quit the next day. Three days after I smoked only half of the cigarette at a party and that was my last and it was 1,5 years ago. I was on a special diet, it wasn’t a diet, it was more like a healthy nutrition…to help me get rid of the nicotine from the body as soon as possible. NO alcohol, soft drinks like coca cola, candies…a lot of fresh vegetables and fruit. And ofcourse I had a full support from my family, and I really wanted to run away from this disastrous habit. So, you don’t need tablets or chewing gums, you need a strong will!!! Good luck to all of you who are trying to quit and congratulation to all of you who managed to do so!!!!!

My husband has been smoking a pack a day for about 20 years. He has been taking Chantix which is relatively new and it has been great. It's helped with the craving and the excessive salivation he used to experience if he went too long withough a cigarrette. He began to notice this within the first week. I would highly recommend it. Of course, these medications only help with the biological aspect of smoking. It aides with the nicotine addiction by blocking the receptors which release those feel good chemicals when the nicotine attaches. However, the behavioral aspects of smoking are up to the person to modify. But the Chantix pack has toll free numbers so that you can enroll in a support program and it's really great. He hasn't smoked in two months and after he completes the twelve weeks they will begin to lower the doses. Good luck to you and God bless!

I had been a smoker for 10 years and quit cold turkey last year which lasted about a year and then I started smoking again. I smoked again for 6 months and found it seemed much harder to quit with all the stress I was under. I finally realized I was depressed and went on Wellbutrin not even knowing about the smoking side effects but knowing I wanted to quit and feel happier. It worked! Wellbutrin rid me of all my cravings for cigarettes, I don't even miss them. There were some slight side effects the first week (ringing in my ears, frequent urination) but they eventually went away. I would highly recommend this drug to quit smoking.

I have been using Smokeless tobacco for years. Was recently prescribed Wellbutrin for depression. Heard that it was used by those quitting tobacco.

On my first day of medication, I accidentally ran out of chew at work. Although I anticipated cravings, nothing happened! I went the entire day tobacco free without any symptoms of withdrawal.

Did a little research and found that Wellbutrin often works quickly.

I have been tobacco free for 4 days now, simply no desire to use it. Like turning off a light switch. My therapist is amazed that the Wellbutrin worked so quickly, I don't care, didn't expect that side effect in the first place

Give it a try! Worked for me

I have just quit smoking and it has been exactly 1 week. To tell you the truth, I have had no withdrawl symptoms from using wellbutrin. I was prescribed wellbutrin for my mild anxiety and being a heavy smoker for 32 years, finally decided it was time. I have had to change my routine becasue certain activities made me want a cigarette. I have stuck with it and the only thing keeping me from lighting that first cigarette is knowing I have to start all over again. Good luck to everyone,

I have to agree with some of the other posters' experience. I took Wellbutrin for about 10 days, having set a quit date I stuck to it and it is amazing. Absolutely no desire to smoke in the last 72 hours. Or if so, barely. This truly has been a miracle for me, having smoked 2 packs a day for the last 13 years. Now I know, from experience, that once I quit this time I CANNOT HAVE ANOTHER CIGARETTE EVER AGAIN. I've made that mistake too many times in the past, and the risk is just not worth it.

Like most people who responded, I too have quit smoking easily with Wellbutrin, virtually no cravings. I smoked for 40+ years. Yet, all is not great, I have other symptoms of withdrawal from smoking such as headaches, constipation, cold-like symptoms of runny nose, sore throat, and the most frustrating, a cronic cough, much worse than the "smoker's cough" I had while I smoked. The cough is productive and has lasted for 2 weeks now. I have read on the internet from several sources that this cough is normal and is just the body cleaning itself of all the years of garbage I put into my body by smoking. The literature says the cough will stop in a couple of weeks. Well, it has been 2 weeks already and I still have it. I have just had a chest x-ray and a checkup (when the wellbutrin was prescribed) so my cough is associated with quitting rather than some more serious disease like lung cancer. Has anyone else had a productive cough after quitting smoking which has lasted longer than 2 weeks?

u guys have been a real inspiration to me i am 25 been smoking for 10 years a pack a day. Today is my 2nd day quitting. my girlfriend got me wellbutrin and i'm not scared of quitting after reading what u guys have said

I still smoke, I was put on welbutrin for clinical depression, my smoking didnt change a bit, I at the time had no idea it was supposed to make people not want to smoke, it did have a terrible side effect, bedwetting, how very embarressing, bet that aint in the little white pamphlet, and it did make me suicidal too

i have been a smoker for 10 years now and have been prescribed bupropion to quit smoking. it's now 1 week since i've been taking it and still smoking, not as much, so how long does it take before i will be completely smoke free. also my side effects are really weird atleast that's how it makes me feel. it's really hard to describe the feelings that i'm having. it's like i'm down tripping off drugs, that down and lost feeling. i can't concentrate, my stomach has this upset feeling most of the time i can never tell if i'm hungry or i want to throw up. i zone out alot without even knowing it. will these side effects eventually go away the longer i'm on the medication?

I just started taking wellbutrin on the 4th day get a little anxious but if works on helping quit smoking going to stick it out

I am getting ready to use Wellbrutin and was wondering what is a good target date to quit smoking. I have smoked for over 40 years and am finally down to a pack a day. Any suggestions, out there.