Hello. I am having some problems with my weight. I am 30 pounds heavier now than I was at the beginning of this year.

I don’t know what is happening, I do not eat more than I used to, I am physically active just as before, not less. I didn’t change a thing in my life style.

Maybe I am just getting older and my metabolism is slowing down.

Anyway, I want to buy Wellbutrin. Somebody told me it helped him so I am hoping I will at least stop  gaining pounds if I start using it.

Can somebody here tell me is Wellbutrin approved by the FDA or not?

I am not sure, but my sister here says she remembers reading an article about it. She says that it was approved by the FDA in 1985 at the beginning. It was marketed under the name Wellbutrin as an antidepressant.

But then, a certain incidence of seizures happened at the dosage of 400-600 mg. That caused the removal of Wellbutrin from the market. And this happened in 1986.

Later it was discovered that reducing the dose by about half reduces the risk of seizures in great amount.  Bupropion was then again introduced to the market in 1989 with the maximum dose of 450 mg per day.

Since I am bored with writing  this I am gonna make her to write you the rest.

Here I am. Don’t mind my lazy brother. As I was saying, Glaxo then developed a sustained-release version. This version is actually made to release bupropion hydrochloride at a slower rate. In 1996 it was approved by the FDA and then in 1997, bupropion was approved as a smoking cessation aid. It was marketed under the name Zyban. Now, Wellbutrin XL is the most recent version. It was approved in 2003. It is taken once a day. Since this new mechanism is changed and the dosing is reduced, incidence of seizures is much lower. It is comparable or even lower than of other antidepressants.