I want to go on Wellbutrin for depression I have had for more than a year, and I just wanted to know personal experiences from taking it for depression. Did it make you happy? What were the side effects? I already know the basic ones because I have done research I just wanted to know from actual people what they have experienced.

Also, if I go to a psychiatrist, would i be able to suggest this medication and say i compared an researched and would feel the most comfortable tying this? Or would they just rule me and tell me what to go on without considering my feelings about it (I'm 19).

I am 30 ,and I know your feeling of worrying that your doctor might not take you seriously,after all everyone has the right to participate in ones treatment .Your know your body and you know what it works for you and what doesnt . You know what you need.Be brave and go ahead and ask for a change in medicine .Specialy after spending so much time researching. Good for you.I been there before,but if it happend to you too,try changing doctors. Oh by the way ,I was in zoloft but it was not doing much for me , after so many years ,almost beaging to have them change it for me to something else , I finaly told my psyquiatrist that if she dont do something about it ,I will be force to quit on my own that non-sence .She talked to me about Welbutrin XL ,I try it. Been on it for the last 3 month and so far it has given me grate results,the best one has been loosing weight as one of the side effects. My moods is much better and I feel like I can funtion much better now.Go for it! You will not regret you did.Best wishes.

I became depressed 2 years ago at 18 (so we became depressed at the same time) and up until now have been on Lexapro. I went from 5mg to 40mg with my tolerance always a step ahead, so a couple weeks ago my doctor switched me to Wellbutrin 300mg daily.

For some reason my doctor had me quit cold turkey (which was horrible), so far a while I was eating a TON to keep the pain in my stomach down. That lasted about a week but now I'm having bizarre side-effects from the Wellbutrin, most notably vertigo, nausea, dry eyes and mouth, extreme emotion and bloody stools.

The nausea and vomiting has been pretty non-stop for the last 6 days, but my dopamine fueled emotion have been much more crippling; while I was watching a particularly intense movie (City of God, NOT for depressed people) I got so drawn into the story and emotions of the characters that I had an anxiety attack when a woman suddenly suffered a violent crime. The people I was with said I reacted like I had actually been violated in my past (as far as I can remember I haven't been).

I'm half hoping this is a common reaction to Wellbutrin, but has anyone else experienced this? Is my doctor just a sadistic id**t or something??

I have been on well B now for a month or two and I haven't felt better- I came down with horrible depression right after winter term- where I would sleep 20 hours a day cry and I couldn't get up or do anything and hated everyone and was having horrible anxiety attacks if I had to interact with anyone- including my mom!- But after my perscription- I slowly got into the habit of waking up early everymorning, showering, and started getting motivated and confident! I have been able to have a steady apetitte and I have a little bit more energy before- it helps greatly!- No side effects yet whatso ever- its like being normal but a little bit better feeling. i was on zoloft and fluxotine before and they just sort of numbed me and made me feel like I wasn't myself or different- a "fake happy"- but Well B. makes me feel like I am just a better version of my true self- it really is great I think.. At least give it a try- I know it is known to have the least side effects, and the best response in terms of weight. It is also known to help with relapses in terms of depression and whatnot. I would at least try it.

I am in agreement with 'guest's' reply. I have tried prozac, celexa, zoloft, cymbalta and effexor with either weight gain or horrible side effects. I withdrew from zoloft when I was in my second trimester of pregnancy and I could barely walk.

Wellbutrin has offered my no side effects so far. I have not gained weight but do not feel sick from it so I am eating as normal. I find I am not interested in eating as much as I used to.

I feel like myself but not mired in depression. I can do all the things in my day that I have to but I don't feel buzzy or wired. I still dread the laundry but the difference is instead of putting it off for weeks I do it weekly without the pull of my depression keeping me on the sofa.

Good luck to you!!

I've been on Wellbutrin for a few weeks. I am also prescribed Prozac, which I have been taking for several months. I haven't experienced any bad side effect from Wellbutrin yet. I agree that it makes me feel "like I am just a better version of my true self- ". Maybe it's the combination with the Prozac (Fluoxetine).

*crysrush222*

Has anyone gotten sore boobs from taking Wellbutrin? I have breast tenderness as if I were pregnant, but not quite as bad. I am NOT pregnant. I added 2 meds recently, which I know I shouldn't have but I did. The other is Prevacid which I've been on before and deoesn't do this. I started taking that b/c Prilosec was not doing it and Prevacid just came OTC.

Any thoughts?

Hello all. I was just described Wellbutrin today after trying two different SSRI's which caused me to have horrible side effects (Lexapro and Zoloft). I had horrible insomnia, muscle cramps and amplified anxiety on both. I became depressed (more so with anxiety) after having a kenalog injection for asthma 3 weeks ago. Since then, I have suffered with terrible depersonalization, anxiety and just blue feeling, like I will never be my "old self" again. I am hoping the Well-B will help pull me out of my slumber ive been in. Wish me luck all!! and I will pray for all of you as well.

oops I meant "prescribed" Sorry!!

After a long and fruitless search for some way out of my depression (other than amphetamine), I read about wellbutrin (or Zyban as it is in the UK), and realised it might help. I am on a 'reduction dose' of Dexedrine, and to be honest was suicidal, exhausted and about to give up - last chance. Went to see my GP and asked for the stuff, well aware it is not licensed as an anti-depressant here, only as an aid to give up smoking.

I was sort of honest about my desire to give up smoking, but told him what it was really about, and after careful checks he agreed. So, with trepidation I took the first dose, and nothing spectacular happened as I expected. This is on top of ten DEx and 40mg of Citalopram (an SSRI which hardly helps). The next day however I was a bit naughty and took two, and noticed a definite lift in mood. Aware this might be a plecobo effect, I have continued to take two a day for over two weeks, and the results have been remarkable.

Not once in that time have I contemplated suicide (about all I thought about prior to Zyban), I'm sleeping less, more active... even (dare I say?) 'positive'. It is no placebo effect, this stuff works - for me anyway. Any side effects have been negligible compared with the benefits - rather vivid and intense dreams (almost all highly enjoyable, ahem!), a slight 'restlessness' at night, and a couple of times a peculiar sense of 'the whirling pits' like when you have drunk far too much. Oddly, that only occured upon wakening and disappeared as soon as I was up and about - no sense of nausea luckily, just a bit dizzy?

I strongly suspect this stuff will help many sorts of addiction and atypical depression, and will inevitably be licensed here soon for more than mere smokers! As it is, with no intention of giving up, I have halved my smoking, and am drinking less too. One warning - it increases your sensitivity to booze, so do be careful! But then you aren't supposed to drink with it at all, so...

Therefore, to sum up, personally speaking I cannot recommend it too highly! I'd particularly suggest that people with cocaine, amphetamine and drink problems give it a go... it hugely reduces craving. It may even help opiate addicts, but I am not an expert. Good luck to all who try it (and don't try it), you have little to lose!

Hi, this is my first post to a forum. I just wanted to say that I just came off Prtestiq ( a horrible withdrawal) is was put on Bupropion. I am now in my 3rd week and feel great. I still smoke and seem to be eating more. I am only on the lowest dose until my next Dr's visit. I hope then I will get the urtge to quit smoking and overeating. But all in all I feel so much better. I do not just lay around all day . I feel much more energy and much more aware of things. ( I would say I was numb on the other antidepressants. ) I will update after my next Dr's visit. So far so good.

Just go to your family doctor. They will likely get it for you. I have been on it for only 1 week and felt a difference almost right away. My side effects are dry mouth, jittery at times, loss of appetite, and recently, breast tenderness. Hope this helps.

I do.....started wellbutrin 2 weeks ago...does the tenderness pass?

Tomorrow will be one week for me on WellB and I will up my dose from 150 to 300 as instructed by Dr. I have extremely full & sore breasts! I feel great other than that. I began it to quit smoking but have found I love this new me! I feel happy, energetic, & my appetite is definitely decreased without any weak feeling.

Hey! I am going through a similar situation and was prescribed wellbutrin. did it help with your depersonalization? thanks so much! a response would be so amazing