I'm 49 yrs, had my last depo shot in april 2010. i was due for another shot in july 2010, but informed my gyn dr. that i was told that i'm in the perimenopausal stage and he told me that he was not going to give me the shot. it's been 7 months (from july til january 2011,
i'm 50 yrs old) still haven't had my period. i have cramps, breasts are tender. how long does it take for my cycle to return?
i have type 2 diabetes & high blood pressure(controlled by meds). I read somewhere, that taking "very low dose birth control pills" is good. should i

Considering the fact that the age of 45 is considered average age for onset of menopause – officially a whole year without period means menopause has started. And to add to the confusion first signs of menopause starting are similar to those of stopping birth control like Depo Provera because both of these are in fact a large change in your hormonal balance. It usually takes a period of 6 to 10 months to regain complete menstrual cycle after stopping Depo. The problem is that birth control side effects like weight gain, breast tenderness, and depression do get better as hormones clear out of your body, but beginning menopause at the same time could be responsible for the same kind of signs.

Hey Nikols Thanks so much for your output. i'm just going to have to wait for this drug to get out of my system