Hey bluedog
Still having the same side effects, and more. It's amazing how many things i can list off that are wrong with me right now!!! Going to see my doctor about it soon.

Good, I'm glad to hear about that! Please let me know how it goes and give me an update on it if you possibly can. Thanks :)

I'm so glad to have found this thread! I was on bcp for 13+ years without taking any breaks. I've been off of them for 5 months now and I have headaches every day. I had menstrual migraines while I was on Tri-Cyclen Lo (11 years) but they went away on Lo-Ovral 28 (2 years). Now that I'm off of bcp, I have mild to moderate headaches every day. I too have the lightheadedness. Several times I've felt just fine and all of a sudden I feel like my brain is shrinking inside of my skull. Freaked me out the first time it happened. It made me nauseous as well. It's happened a couple of other times too but not as badly as the first time. That was one month after stopping taking the pills. I'd say it happens once a month now.

I'm so glad to have found this thread! I was on bcp for 13 years without taking a break. I've been off of them for 5 months now and I have headaches every day. I had menstrual migraines while I was on Tri-Cyclen Lo (11.5 years) but they went away on Lo-Ovral 28 (1.5 years). Now that I'm off of bcp, I have mild to moderate headaches every day. I too have the lightheadedness. Several times I've felt just fine and all of a sudden I feel like my brain is shrinking inside of my skull. Freaked me out the first time it happened. It made me nauseous as well. It's happened a couple of other times too but not as badly as the first time. That was one month after stopping taking the pills. I'd say it happens once a month now.

About a week to two weeks ago I stopped taking Yaz at the end of the pack. I am 25, have been taking an oral contraceptive for three years, Yaz for the last year of those three years. I am now having migraine headaches. I have never had such a severe headache and I am convinced it is from withdrawal (hormonal, whatever) as there are no other factors that could have triggered this (little anxiety, no alcohol, no drugs). I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow. I imagine I will get an inconclusive answer, something like "if it persists, come back but I dont know if it's the BC." Will try to keep this forum updated on my results. This headache has been with me for over 24 hours now and ibuprofen only dulls it enough to deal with it. My head is spinning. And as strange as it sounds, I'm glad to have found this thread to know that I am not the only one!

I am in the same boat and so relieved to read that others have experienced the same. I was on BCP for 10 years (Ortho Tricyclen Lo) for the past 5 of those years. I stopped taking the pill about 3 weeks ago and for the past 2-3 weeks have been experiencing headaches like never before. At first, they were shooting pains in my temples and now they have progressed to steady pressure headaches, where I feel as though someone is pushing on each side of my head. At times, they make me nauseated & dizzy. The headaches are there each and every day, morning til night, and Tylenol does little to relieve them.

I am attributing these to the withdrawal of the BCP since the timing is perfectly in synch. It is so scary to realize the effects of synthetic hormones in the body and how different they must be from our own natural hormones; as our bodies fight to adjust to the change of stopping them. I stopped taking the pills because I am ready to consider getting pregnant, however with this realization of my own and reading all of your posts, I don't know if I will ever take them again.

I quit taking BC pills13 days ago (been on them 30+ yrs) so i can go get my hormones tested to see where I am in the process of perimenopause. The headaches have been there since stopping. Moving around my head- sometimes behind my eyes, sometimes like it is pressing on the sides of my head- light headed- almost nausous feeling. I see similar complaints but not answers. Has anyone talked to their doctor about this? I was just at mine and she had no answer. I will get my hormones tested then "get back on"
Anyone have any ideas?
Vicki

I have the same situation as most of you. I didn't start my next pack of Marvelon and the next day got a headache. I've had it for 2 and 1/2 weeks. The first week I also has some nausea and didn't feel like eating a whole lot. I've had a couple days the past two weeks where my headache got pretty bad by about 3pm and went home from work with a migraine and had to lie down all evening. This is definitely frustrating me and affecting me daily. I talked to a coworker whose daughter had a headache fairly non stop for 6 months after stopping the pill. I asked how they went away and she said she wasn't sure but after about 6 months her daughter got pregnant and then didn't have them. The one thing I know for sure is that the headaches are hormones and your body needs to start producing them itself instead of getting them from the pill. How to make it all go away...I have no idea...since if's hormonal I think we just have to wait it out. If anyone finds any decent sites or research about this, please post here, I'm not waiting for 6 months for these headaches to go away.
Thanks!

I'm having the same problem. I just turned 21 and couldn't get to Planned Parenthood in time to start a new pack so I've been off them for 4 days and my head has hurt everyday since. I've been taking them for 3 years. Now I'm not so sure I want to get a new pack tomorrow after reading what some of you wrote after being on them for like 10+ years. It sounds really bad and if I'm getting them after only being on them for 3 years I can't image the headaches for 10+ years. I just don't think they're healthy to have in your body, but I like not having to worry about getting pregnant. I just don't trust condoms alone. Ugh I dunno what I'll do.

I'm almost 27 and have been taking the generic version of Yasmin (called "Ocella") for a year to help with acne. I was recently diagnosed with a couple digestive disorders (celiac and colitis) and read that birth control can mess with your gut flora. I decided to stop birth control. I actually tried to stop it a couple months ago and got terrible headaches every single afternoon. I couldn't stand them, so I went back on B.C. again. This time I started taking a Vitamin D supplement (which is actually a hormone) of 4400 I.U. per day prior to quitting B.C. to see if that would help alleviate the headaches. I've also made sure to drink Gatorade throughout the day and have changed my diet to eliminate all grains except rice (for the celiac and colitis -- this definitely clears up the acne). Not sure what I can attribute it to, or if it's a combination of those things, but I've been off B.C. for about 1.5 weeks and have only had a couple bad headaches, but nothing near every day like I was before. If you're interested in Vitamin D, read "The Vitamin D Cure" by James Dowd. And if you're interested in diet to heal gut disorders (including IBS), read "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gotschall and "The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson or ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed. Hope this can help someone!

I've only been on the pill for two months and I stopped taking it and now I have head aches. They're not too bad but they're migraines right in my temple. I just wanted to post because a couple of you said that it was due to being on the pill for years and years so I thought I'd bring it to your attention that even I who have only been on for two months am getting them. This just strengthens my belief that I'm better off just not being on the pill...I really don't like how much it messes with your natural system and can do serious damage to your body.

This site is such a blessing. I too have been experiencing constant daily headache for about 3 months. I am sure its my hormones, but I want to get pregnant. Does anyone have a window of how many more months I will have to endure these headaches. So weird. Thank you so much.

Interesting. I suffer from migraines whether I'm on the pill or not. I've had a long-term migraine (goes away if I take medication but comes back daily) since I stopped taking the pill - I had been taking it for almost ten years.

It sounds like a lot of the other posters are experiencing migraine-like symptoms: extremely painful headaches, long-term headaches, nausea, etc.

I have a prescription for migraine medication that I use (maaxalt), but if I'm in a pinch and need an OTC solution, I find that if I take 3-4 ibuprofen with a significant amount of caffine (I usually drink a large glass of Mountain Dew) it often helps. Note that this is more than recommended per the label, though, so I can't guarantee that it's safe. Ask your doctor and all that.

Unfortunately, if you want to get pregnant, you shouldn't do any of these. I'm starting to worry about what to do once I start "trying."

My wife has had the same thing happen to her. She stopped taking birth control 5 days ago and has had a headache now for 3 days. I'm currently going to Physician Assistant training so I thought I would try to research what could be going on, and here's what I think is probably happening:

Headaches are caused by a number of factors, one being the rapid vasodilation (enlarging of the blood vessels) and rapid vasoconstriction (shrinking of the blood vessels) in the layer that covers the brain. Hormones like those found in birth control pills cause vasodilation; mainly from progesterone but some from estrogen. Thus a drop in hormone levels, like during the cessation of birth control pills, can cause a rebound vasoconstriction and resultant headache. This is evidenced by the fact that the prevalence of menstrual migraines are highest during menstruation when hormone levels are the lowest.

Possibly treatment options include simple things like warm compresses on the affected area that cause the blood vessels to dilate again and relieve the pain, and a trial of over-the-counter analgesics (Tylenol, Aspirin, Motrin, etc.). If this isn't helpful you can talk to your health care provider about starting the birth control again, or possibly a trial of a Beta-blocker like Propranolol.

vjtimko wrote:

Tmp1180 wrote:

I just stopped taking birth control pills after being on them for 10 years. Since I stopped I have had a headache that won't seem to go away?? Is this a normal side effect??

I am having this same issue. Been on a progestrone only pill for two years, just stopped, now nonstop headaches. I've been on other b/c in years past and never had this problem. Also, two neg. preg. tests but no period, 10 days late. Hope someone has some info.

Thanks and Good Luck!

With the late period and negative pregnancy tests, you probably have Post-Pill Amenorrhea. If your period doesn't start after 3 months then you'll want to go to the doctor.

As for the headaches, from the research I've done it sounds like it'll take at most 3 months to get rid of them. Your body just needs to readjust to making its own hormones again. That process can take up to 3 months.

The dizziness I'm really not sure about though. If your periods are significantly heavier after stopping the pill then it could be as simple as anemia. But I'd definitely go to the doctor about that symptom.