hello everyone i just join today because some of yours questions and experienced with yaz has caught my attention. i am jobless and on disability due to yaz. on jan. 19 i woke up with numbness in my right arm and didn't pay much attention thinking of it as nothing. but boy was i wrong... i had a seizure that night follow by a stroke. i woke up on jan. 22 at jefferson hospital. i ask my family and neurologist what has happened and they told me that the birth control cause a major blood clot in the right side of my brain (cerebral thrombosis) and if i had another stroke that night that i would have been dead. i just wanted to shared this story with all of you who has suffer the same symptom or less. if you would like to know all the details to the story please leave me a message.

I was admitted into the hospital 3 weeks ago. I was experiencing numbness of the entire body (primarily on my left side), my hands were cramping up and I felt like I was blacking out. The ambulance came to get me and I was brought to Florida Hospital, they quickly ruled out a stroke since I was so young, but focused on MS and Lupus (those tests came back negative). After 3 days they sent me home with no answers. So after 3 weeks of being in and out of the hospital and doctors offices (with minimal feeling and total weakness of my left side), I was sent up to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. After sitting with the neurologist telling him what was going on and him reading my reports he found the answer- I HAD A STROKE! This is the scary part- my stroke was caused by my birth control. He continued to tell me that in the last 6 months he has seen more and more young women (20's and early 30's) that are having strokes and all have one thing in common- YAZ BIRTH CONTROL, which is the brand I am on.
It is nice to finally have an answer, but I still have to go through tests to find out exactly where the clot is/was and if it's still there. He said I may never regain the strength or feeling back on my left side, but that is something we'll have to wait to see. I also can NEVER go on any type of birth control ever again! But I can't imagine not knowing that and still continue to take the Yaz, b/c I would continue to have strokes! If any of you are taking this birth control, please look into switching to another one. I'm not sure if the doctors at Florida Hospital know about this, but they were more focused on MS than they were stroke.

I too had at stroke from YAZ birth control. I was a 25 year old healthy female with no medical problems and never smoked. I started the birth control on a sunday and by the next day I started getting numbness in my right foot. I ignored it thinking I was just tired. By wednesday when i woke up my complete right side was numb. I have been thorough so much trying to figure out what had happen to me. By the grace of God, I have regained all feeling in my body. For some reason, I was left with a pinched nerve in my neck and arm that hurts me very bad at times. I still feel a little funny from time to time. My doctor confirmed the stroke after I had a cat scan and a MRI. I am going to talk to a lawyer about this. This has caused set backs in my life all over Yaz birth control. I am happy to know I am not the only one who has been affected by this.

I was so excited about Yaz birth control until I too had a mini stroke. This was the best birth control ever no more PMS, no acne, no food cravings all too good to be true. The first month I was taking it I had sharp pain in my calf and ignored the pain thinking it was in my head. Until about one month later I was on my way to meet my husband for lunch and I could not see my co-worker standing right in front of me. After many hours at the doctors office it was determined a mini stroke. So this is a warning do not take the poison Yaz birth control. I am a healthy 28 year woman that does not smoke and works out all the time

My wife had been on Yaz for less than 3 months when she had her stroke. She was 39 at the time. It is a year later and she is still recovering as is our entire family. I have basically become a single dad (3 kids) and caretaker for my wife. This was a high price to pay for lighter periods and better skin. This poison should be yanked from the market and the victims reimbursed.

I too had a stroke after switching to Yaz. What's even scarier is I didn't know I had one and continued using the pill up until November. I started having spasms on the right side of my body in August which is when I switched to Yaz and thought nothing of it...it progressed until it was a spasm in my leg and then had trouble speaking. It has been very frustrating in talking with many neurologists and have been on many medications for the spasms. Many of them do not agree on the diagnosis and continue to make changes to my medicine. I'm hoping that the medicine I'm currently taking will keep my spasms to a minimum. Has anyone else had any after effects of their stoke? I'm supposed to get restful sleep and stay stress free...not in this day and age is that possible! Has anyone thought about a lawsuit?

I am so angry that this birth control was promoted as a life saver to our periods and turned out to be an enemy to our bodies. I went on Yaz from Ortho Cyc Low to maybe feel better because the goal was to regualte me from naturally only having 4 periods a year to having one every month. Well on Feb 14th 2008 I came on my cycle and haven't stopped till this date and passing huge blood clots to where I can feel them come down. This is crazy I hate Yaz for screwing my body up

On July 11, 2007, the Yaz Birth Control Pill KILLED my 20 year old daughter. One week before she died she started to have shortness of breath, she went to the doctor and was diagnosed as Bronchitis little did we know she was throwing small blood clots that did not show up on xray because of her age the doctor didnot think about bloodclots. I am so lonely without her. I HATE YAZ.

I have been on Yaz for about 3 years now and have not experienced any problems. I think it is important to know that not everyone will have this kind of experience on this birth control. Almost every birth control pill has these risks. I do respect the fact that you all have had bad experiences with this pill and I am sorry to hear so. However, I do not think that all people on this pill need to switch as it is has been great for me as well as several friends.

As a nurse on a very large Neuroscience Unit which specializes in stroke care, I have been shocked by the increased incidence of young women experiencing devestating strokes. As I fall into the demographinc of many of these women I began researching their common risk factors and across the board they were all on YAZ. You all are not select incidents of this medication, this is an epidimic. I am not litigious by nature, but unfortunately all too often the only thing that gets drug companies attention is their wallet. This medication needs to be taken off of the market and we all have a responsibility as women to let ALL of our girlfriends know the dangers of this medication are so much more real than the quickly glossed over potential side effects that we all hear on the commercials.

i switched from a different birth control pill to yaz and developed a pulmonary embolism, a blood clot in my lung and I had to spend a week in the hospital. I have been doing some research on different websites and have found that a huge amount of women like myself have suffered blood clots from yaz and that some have lost their lives. Some have suggested starting a class action law suit and I agree. I have worked at a law office during the school year for the past 2 years and know an excellent personal injury lawyer looking to take on a lawsuit like this. If you too have suffered a blood clot or a loved one has and would like to be a part of the lawsuit please email me at apopa AT eden.rutgers.edu with your name and email address where i can reach you. Class action lawsuits require many plaintiffs so this will only be possible if many respond to this. Please help me and yourself.

**edited by moderator**

a few people experiencing side effects is normal because all of us were warned about the possible side effects before we were given the pill. however, a huge number of women with health problems stemming directly from yaz is not normal and should not be ignored. yaz should be held accountable for what it is doing to our bodies or to our loved ones bodies. my mom was in the hospital dying of cancer and instead of getting to be by her side i was hospitalized myself for a week because of a blood clot in my lung from yaz. yaz and that blood clot robbed me of time i could have been spending at my moms side. i have been to many many sites and found a lot of women who have had similar bad health experienced stemming from yaz and i urge anyone who has developed a blood clot or lost a loved one due to yaz to email me *****with your name and an email address i can reach you at. I have already gotten a few email but a class action lawsuit requires a large number of plaintiffs. you have nothing to lose and justice to gain by emailing me, so please do.

I decided to try taking birth control after having bad experiences in the past and this last time was an absolute nightmare. After 6 days of taking Yaz I woke up one morning with extreme abdominal pain, bloating and lower back pain. Later in the day the pain escalated to the point that I couldn't move or walk, and it was so intense that made me throw up. I believe I had a very extreme "allergic reaction" to one of the components of the pill but I don't know what it is. I suffered fro more than 10 hrs and the next day I was still bloated and with some pain. I've told my doctor about this in the past and he said he does not know what could be...has anyone here ever experienced anything like that using birth control? If so, pls help!

I have not used birth control for a long time but because my husband and I have decided not to have any more children any time soon I decided to try it. I choose Yaz because I have horrible PMS and acne, which Yaz is suppose to help. I have seen an amazing change in my mood swings while pms-ing but it is not worth the pain. I woke up one morning and could not walk and this went on for the whole day. I went to the doctor and they gave me pain pills but they only seemed to make me sleep not take care of the problem. I thought that I just had a back issue, then I decided to stop taking the YAZ because I was gaining weight, the only problem is my PMS was back and awful, my husband asked me to get back on the Yaz and give it one more chance. Now, two days into the pack, the back ache is back and I can feel it getting worse. I am not taking this stuff anymore, I can find something else to cure the PMS issues.

I just started yaz birth control the first day that my period started.. its 3 days later am I still supposed to be bleeding?