I just quit taking birth control and I had protected sex one time. My period is now 3 weeks late but I took a test a week ago and it came back negative. Could I still be pregnant or is my peroid acting funny because I just stopped taking the pill?

ONCE you are late, a pregnancy test is accurate. Most likely the delay is from stopping the birth control.

i started my period as usual after taking the birth control pill on the 8th dec 2006 and came off a wekk later on the 16th. i decided to not take the pill this month as i have been experiencing bleedin inbetween the pill. it has now been just over three weeks and i should be on my period and have been careful. i have taken 3 pregnancy tests and were all negitive. wat is goin on, is this due to not takin the pill or am i pregnant??
PLZ HELP ME

Hi there. I'm in a similar situation to you - Switched from the normal pill (been on it 5 years) to the mini pill last October then had period 3 weeks in a row. Came off mini pill not long after that (trying to conceive) and haven't had my period since October. I've done 6 preg tests, all clearly negative, and I saw on another site that it can take upto 6 months before you become regular again! My doctor's not worried about me, said it's normal, so I'm going to give it a few more weeks before I go and see him again.

My wife stopped taking birth control pills June of '06. It is now April and she has yet to have a period. I have repeatedly asked her to see a doctor about it but she says that it is normal. I think that 10 months is far too long and am concerned. Is it normal or am I just being worrysome?

i have been on cerzette pill for 5 months and had regular bleeding throughout, like a normal period every 28 days or so for 5 days. problem is i stopped takin it at the end of last month and have had unprotected sex with my partner as we are trying for our second child. should have come on my period on sat 21st april and still no sign of it. i have got bloating like feeling and i can't seem to get enough sleep. i really would like to be pregnant but done 2 first response pregnancy tests and they have come back neg. is this just the pill making my body thing that its pregnant? and advice or comments would be gratefully received x

You are right to be concerned about your wife although she is correct is saying that it is normal to experience a delay in your normal cycle returning when stopping taking the pill. However, most websites and infor mation say that if they don't return after six months you should see your GP. You need to be supportive and ask her whats' worrying her and suggest that you go to the doctor's together. Good luck !

I stopped taking my birth control pills because I went on vacation and forgot the pills at home. I planned on resuming as soon as I got my next period, but I have not gotten it yet. I am only about a week late but I am extremely nervous that I could potentially be pregnant! I have looked on several different sites and they say that it could take a while to get your period after stopping the pill? Does anyone know how true that is? I guess I just need some reassurance!

I went off the pill on January 1st, 2009. In January, I had a completely normal period at the same time expected and I thought I would have the same the following month...I am still waiting for my period! I have not had one for almost 3 months now! I have taken two pregnancy tests and both say that I am not pregnant. My husband and I have been thinking about trying to have a baby, but not actively trying. My Gyno also said that this is normal after going off the pill, but it is very frustrating not having any idea what is going on in my body or when it is going to get back to normal again. But, from everything I have read and heard, it does seem that this is normal for the pill to do this to our bodies. I am done with it! As soon as my body is back to usual, my husband and I are doing "Natural Family Planning" and I am not doing this to my body anymore! I want to be healthy when I do finally conceive, not completely out-of-whack thanks to these legal drugs!

i was on a birth control pill from a health clinic and it messed me up so i had to go see a gyno and get put on prescription bc. i started taking loestrin24fe and was on it for 1year1month and then decided to stop and i had unprotected sex and had spotting right after stopping it with real dark blood and then it stopped and then the next month i didnt' have one and now this month don't have one either and i have taken 4 preg test and they all say neg. is this normal?

im having the same problem! i was taking loestrine24 fe for 4 months but my periods starting getting so light i decided to take a brake from them and give my body a chance to get back on a regular schedule. i am now 3 1/3 weeks late and am having cramps like i could get my period any min now but it still hasnt come. my boyfriend and i are freaking out. is this normal? my boobs also hurt. does that mean something? please help!

Hi i am a long time reader of these threads but first time writer.. I stopped my contraception back in May 2009 as my husband and I were keen to start a family, I was on the pill 12 years and I am 28 . it has taken just on 11 months for my first period to start since stop the pill. I was on Diane35. The first 3 months after stopping the pill were the worse months of my life.. i had headaches, aches, flogging thinking, felt vague, couldnt concentrate, my teeth have even changed from the lack of estrogens in my system, i felt depressed and anxious all the time. So frustrated as my body went through serious withdrawals. I felt like i was in no-mans-land. At 3 months i had blood tests, which confirmed my hormones to be low. My doctor was not concerned and expressed it could take 6-12 months. I wanted to stay on the natural path to help heal my body so i started acupuncture and Chinese medicine / herbs. I am still amazed at how acupuncture works for me. I also maintain a regular exercising routine and good eating habits, I started yoga and deep breathing relaxation techniques before bed time. My husband has been a tower of strength always remaining positive it would happen in time. We went overseas over Christmas and I started back on Acupuncture / Herbs in Feb 2010. Still no period, at 9 months i had another set of blood work, they discovered all my hormones levels to be normal except one of the male hormone was elevated. My GP wanted to refer me to a gyno and put me on Clomid. They thought i had PCOS as i had 2 of the main symptoms. I was initially devastated but continued with my acupuncture working on keeping a positive outlook. April 2010 i woke up to find my period had started! It’s been an emotional journey. But please remember that everyone’s body’s reacts differently when stopping the pill, so girls bounce back straight away. the best advice i can give is to not compare yourself to others and to perhaps try natural therapies before pumping more hormones in your body. Acupuncture seriously worked for me. .. thank god i didn’t book that gyno appointment. Good Luck everyone.

My girlfriend lost her birth control about a month ago. 3 weeks ago, we had protected sex 3 times (after the first time, she told me she recently lost the pill, but assured me that we'd be fine as long as we were more careful than usual), the first time I came in the condom inside her but it didn't break, and the other 2 times I pulled out anyway to come in the condom. She's kinda late, she says, but she says that if she hasn't gotten her period by the 1st of June, she'll take a pregnancy test. Something similar to this happened to us about 6 months ago, when she was a little late, and she took a pregnancy test that came out negative. I'm thinking (well, hoping) that the same thing will happen, and hope that it's because she stopped taking the birth control. Do I have any reason to worry?

It is very comforting to know that other women have skipped periods after stopping birth control. I missed a pack and planned on starting after my next period, but it never came! It has been two skipped periods, and I've read the information on when it is safe to start it again. (any time, for my prescription) So, now I feel a lot better about starting it again.

Ug. Having the same problems. I started my birth control the day I was supposed to have my period. My period ended up being 12 days late (2 weeks into the birth control pack) and I kept taking the pills to the end. Now it's been 40 days since the start of my last period, and I only had sex once with a condom. I've had menstrual cramps for a week, but no bleeding, and no other pregnancy symptoms. I think my incease in synthroid (thyroid medication) and the fact I took the birth control pills not at the right time and then finished them has caused me to be late again. Im afraid to go to the doctor because I dont want to be pregnant. I doubt I am though, I'm pretty sure Id have morning sickness and I'm totally anti-symptom so far. My weight is the same, my breasts arent tender, I'm not any more tired than usual, no lower back pain, no headaches, no nausea. Im 20, but my parents dont know that I'm sexually active and if it turns out I'm pregnant I think I'm going to have to tell my mom. But how do you tell your parent that you lost your virginity to a friends-with-benefits situation (which doesnt bother me at all, I made a conscious decision that I dont regret, but it is something that would raise ackward questions from my mom).