I have been off birth control now for a little over a month, and since coming off of the pill I have experienced sever anxiety attacks, and a feeling of nervousness to the point that I can't eat. It has affected my everyday life greatly, and I even have a hard time making through the work day. I am normally not like this at all. I have always been an extremely happy, energetic person, and I really do not feel like myself at all. Could you tell me if this is a normal side effect, and give me some information on prescription anxiety meds and there side effects, and the side effects of long term use. Also, I was wondering if there are any over the counter remedies for the bad days.
Thanks

I just wanted to tell you that I am experiencing the same thing. It is horrible. I have a nervous feeling all day and get sad about things really easily. I have also had a couple of full blown panic attack. It sucks!
I posted about it on another forum and had alot of women tell they experienced the same thing and that it got better after a few months. Good luck to you!!! I know how you feel.

I am going through the same thing. Im off the pill and have a lot of change in my life right now such as starting college. Its deff the pill and it can make you feel like you're loosing your mind. Im not sure yet but I have read that primrose oil and vitamin B12 help. I just bought some today and if they help ill let you know.

I am having the same problem and the same thing happened to me July of 2007 when I went of birth control. it was so bad I ended up on anti-depressants and went back on birth control. I had panic attacks, wasn't sleeping, nervousness, hair loss, loss of appetite, cry spells, mood swings-it was really bad and I had to go off work for 6 weeks. In July 2008 I went off birth control and the anti-depressant as we are starting to plan for the next baby. Again, I'm not doing so well. I wonder how long it takes for your body to adjust after going off birth control.

I am so relieved that i have found people with the same condition as i am going through! I have been off birth control for about a month now - I got my period on time but about a week ago i had a severe panic attack. Now I'm just feeling on edge, anxious and slightly depressed. I'm guessing if you dont want to go back on birth control the best way is to stick it out and not make yourself go crazy - just remember this all will pass. Does anyone know how long it will take to get your horomones back to normal??? 8-|

i have had the same exact problems as everyone else!!! i actually accidentally forgot my pack when i went on vacation, after 3 days of missing the pills i flipped. shaky, nervous, anxiety, depression and sooo much more. it is affecting my job so bad b/c i cry uncontrollably. i am normally a very happy and outgoing person who has turned into someone else. this happened on 9/20 and today is 10/16 and it's not gotten any better. i have some good days but mostly bad. my dr called me in ativan to help and it does, but i HATE taking stuff like that!!! he wanted to put me on an anti-depressant and i absolutely refused b/c i've never been depressed a day in my life! i know my body will eventually get back to normal, but for now i feel like i'm living a nightmare! i haven't gotten back on any birthcontrol yet and i don't think i will! it was yaz that i was on...surprise, surprise (check out the reviews on that!) i've done soooo much research on this mess and i read over and over that it could take at least 2 cycles to get "balanced" out, so i'm hopeful!

be patient ladies, keep good/positive thoughts....GOD bless you all :-)

i have read a number of posts that people wrote just a couple days ago - I am so happy to know that I am not alone!! This awful craziness we are all enduring after going off the pill is unbearable and to read such positive posts of people who are describing the same things I am going through is so comforting I just wish there was an answer to make it all better! Right now I am taking Vitex in hopes it will balance out my hormones and I can get back to normal and not feel depressed, have panic attacks and crazy ups and downs ( not to mention all the pysical side effects!! )

lets all think positive and know that this too shall pass :-)

I would love to share my story.

i have been on Yaz for about 3 years, and I had to stop due to financial issues. Since i stopped, about a month later I had my FIRST PANIC ATTACK. Had crazy emotions and feelings that were not me. I felt hopeless. My doctors put me on Lexapro 10mg a day and Lorazepam (generic for Ativan), but I have taken Lexapro for about 2 weeks, and do not want antidepressants. Im normally a happy happy person. I appreciate everything and love life. this took a big toll because since the panic attack i was extremely scared. I have to admit it has been about 3 months from being off and I am feeling so much better. I honestly cannot tell anyone how i got thru it because it was the worst thing i have been through yet! Sunday I got back on Yaz and am planning on going to the GYN to get on a more less hormonal BC so this will never happen again. I want all of u to know it DOES GET BETTER!!! I know it is God AWFUL but in time it gets better. DONT SUCKER INTO THE PANIC AND DEPRESSION.. do not think about it too muich because you will just go back into it. Keep yourself busy and be around friends. Good luck to you all!!! If you need a support buddy my email ****... feel free to talk to me because I too am going through it even though it is getting so much better!! love to you all!!!

**edited by moderator** **e-mails are not allowed**

i am so relieved to find other women going through the same thing! to some degree, i have experienced anxiety since my early adolescence, but lately is has been absolutely out of control. i don't feel like myself at all -- it is literally to the point where i feel like i am losing my mind. i don't want to go on anti-depressants, but i feel like i am at my wit's end. i am constantly on edge and have developed embarrassing nervous habits. i feel disconnected from everyone around me -- and this is not me at all! i have always been such a lively person! i experienced my first panic attack during the fourth or fifth month of my birth control, which caused me to feel really strange (but i hadn't been taking it religiously, so i think that may have been a factor)...so i stopped taking it cold turkey. i felt odd for the next few days but went a month & a half without any symptoms. however, depression & anxiety have set in full-fledged. i feel like i'm going nuts! i'm glad i'm not the only one though. it is greatly affecting my everyday life...i hope this all will pass.

I know how everyone feels here. I had never suffered from anxiety until I got off the pill. I had only taken Yasmin for 4 months and then my boyfriend and I broke up so I didn't want to take it anymore. Even when I was on it I never felt like me. Between crying all of the time or feeling not like myself, something always felt wrong. My boyfriend at the time told me it was all in my head. After I stopped taking the pill I felt immediately better. But, then the anxiety started. It's been 2 years now and I am still suffering on and off again from the anxiety. Sometimes it is worse, where it causes panic attacks and sometimes it is mild. But, it always kind of lingers there. If I could go back and redo it all I would never have put myself in this situation. My mother warned me about all of the side effects of birth control and I did not listen. The worst thing is the doctors all try to say that something else is causing it and they want to help me "control" my anxiety. Well, had I never taken the pill it would never be here. I will never take the pill again and I just hope that the damage can be reversed over time.

I am so very glad I found this site, I don't feel quite so alone and helpless anymore. I was on two forms of BC back-to-back since I was in my late teens. The most recent one was a generic for Ortho-Cyclen (forget the actual name) that I took for almost 6 years. I went off the pill in June 2008 because we wanted to start trying for children soon. I had my first panic attack that same month and have experienced horrible anxiety (and I can't lie, a little paranoia about weird stuff sometimes) ever since. I started losing my hair at a higher rate than normal (for me, anyway - usually lost the average 50-100 hairs a day) sometimes 200+ hairs per day in... late October, I think? In November I think I came close to having a breakdown - it's like my mind wasn't mine anymore and I couldn't control my anxiety at ALL. I got my period during that time, not sure if that's related or not. Then I noticed that my hair is starting to look a little thinner on top along my hairline. I went to the doctor and had all the usual blood tests run (thyroid, blood count, etc) and nothing showed up. I am really hoping that either stopping the pill is causing the hair issue, or the anxiety from stopping the pill caused the hair issue. Some days I think "well, it's not so bad and it just has to grow back" and then some days I think "it's just going to keep getting worse, it's NEVER going to grow back!" Has anyone else continued to have issues with hair loss along with the anxiety, depression etc.?

Also, I wanted to share that my anxiety levels seem to be somewhat dropping now. If my hair would just stop falling out I think I might even feel...good? :shock: sometimes. I have some days now that I hardly feel anxious at all, but still have some bad days. The bad days seem to be less frequent, and aren't quite as intense as before. It took me 6 months to get to this point, seems like it "peaked" in November and has slowly (oh, so slowly) tapered off little by little. I'm concerned that it will get bad again, but as the days go by and that doesn't happen I feel cautiously optimistic that the worst is over. I certainly hope it doesn't take anyone else that long to start recovering from this, but if it does... I think there really is light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Anyway, sorry for the novel but I was so surprised to find this place, and most of the people close to me probably think I'm crazy by now (especially my poor, dear husband :() so I haven't had anyone to talk to about this.

Hi all I have been reading all your posts and have experienced the same problems although mine were not immediate. I went off the pill 2 years ago and got a copper IUD. Since that time I felt kind of spacey and weird at least for the last 2 years. 3 months ago I started having panic attacks out of nowhere and I have terrible anxiety now. I finally went to a Naturopath and discussed this with her. She said the pill can really screw your system up and she had me do a urine test where they test all of your neurological signs to see if your hormones are completely out of whack. I get the results back at the end of the month and I am really hoping she can help me I just want to feel normal again! I am afraid of things I never even thought about its like I am a completely different person! I recommend everyone going to a Naturopath if you can find a good one.

its so scary..ive never felt anything like this before i was scared i was going crazy and now im scared of getting back on the pill (i only stopped due to a lapse in my insurance) and now im concerned that if i go back on it ill have this anxiety or if i decide to stop in the future ill have anxiety too..and ive always been SOO cheerful and happy im only 17 the very thought of taking antidepressants terrifies me. im about to start college so i want some form of birth control but this anxiety, loss of appetite, crying at the drop of a dime...its crazy and my pill was low ogestrel =/

Well, I'm always emotional so I could never measure my 'anxiety' level going up or down - but I will say, nothing too severe mood/anxiety wise. What I WILL say is..... Psoriasis and Hair Loss! Jeeeeze! Almost immediately after I went off the pill, OVERNIGHT - my hair got scaly and NOTHING worked - T GEL, NOTHING! My hair still is THIN - it's been a year and I'm going BACK on the b/c to see if it at LEAST makes my hair grow back.

What MEDICAL doctors who give you the b/c pill DONT tell you is this: your hormone levels are going to be jumping around and... I think next time I get OFF the b/c pill I'm going to a hormone therapy specialist - naturalist, homeopathic or whatever.

I will keep you posted........... hair loss sucks.

Wow. I am so relieved that I'm not the only one going through this. I seriously thought I was going crazy. I'm 15 and I was on Yaz for about a year for PCOS. Then in January I stopped taking them because my prescription ran out and I never went back to the GYN to get another one. Now, almost 2 months later, I've been experiencing panic attacks, mood swings and I think mild depression. This all happened 2 days ago. Just out of the blue. I didn't know what was wrong with me and still completely don't but I think stopping the Yaz is the problem. I'm so glad I found this board because it gives me a reason not to think I'm dying.
Thanks.
:-)