I have been getting really bad headaches right after my period is over. THis has not always happened, it started about 6 or 7 months ago. I have taken tylenol, excedrin migraine and naproxen (given to me by doctor at immediate care for the headaches) and nothing works. When I went to the doctors, they told em it was probably a migraine, and a bit of a stress headache. I have been under stress this year at work (a teacher) and I am also going to school. Could this be the reason why I am getting these headaches. I regularly take excedrin migraine for migraine headaches, and they work wonderfully. But right after my period the head never goes away. I have tried sleeping it off, and it doesn't work either. After the two days the headache is gone and I am back to normal. These headaches are really unbearable. I am not able to do much of anything during these two days. Sometimes, I get a similar headache right before my period starts, one that wont go away with the medications that I mentioned before, but the pain is not as intense as it is after my period. Can anyone help me with why I may be getting these headaches, and what I can do to stop them? Just another note, I have also noticed that my I am very emotional, much more than previously, during PMS and during my period. I often feel depressed, sometimes like I have nothing to live for. This is also only began happening in the past 6 or 7 months. Could all of these changes be due to the stress I am under at work and school? I am 27 years old. Could this be a factor, maybe my age is effecting a change in my menstrual cycle? Thanks so much for your help!!

You are not alone in this. For the past 3 years or so, I have had an awful headache usually before and after a period. I finally asked my OBGYN and she said it was from a hormonal change. She told me to take magnesium tablets a week before my period. Well, I did that for a couple of months...nothing. The headache is as awful as you say. I dread especially the end of my period knowing that that awful headache will be returning. I cannot do anything when I have one either. It is a migraine, even my 800 mg motrin won't touch it. Help! I will seek out help from other doctors.

Maybe try researching endometriosis. Same thing happened to my aunt around that age. Do you also get abdominal pains after your period with your headaches? It is a VERY common disease in women and many doctors over look it. I know depression is a symptom as well..

i get a similar headache, but just for the first 2 days of my period. no pain medications affect it at all. the only thing that seems to help a little is a massage to my scalp, face, and neck. i just do this on my own whenever the pain gets too unbearable, and it almost always lessens it, or even makes it disappear briefly. i am also 27, and only started getting these headaches about 5 months ago. i thought it was some kind of hormonal change as well, but i wish i knew what to do about them.

I have gotten migraines with my periods for years but for the past year I have had something quite different and no one seems to understand it... I have been to Drs., Naturalpaths and Pshycologist and no one has answers for me.

Anyway, I find that just before my period starts I get slight boughts of dizziness and then about two days after my period has started I get dizziness so bad that I feel as though I am drunk (some days it comes and goes all day). This can last up to a week or more and sometimes builds into a pressure headache. I do find that if I lay down it lessens and it does not happen as much in the evenings or over the weekends when I am off work. I do not have a stressful job and I really enjoy what I do. I only work 9-3 M-F so it is not like I am overdoing it.

I have been taking tonnes of magnesium as I have also been suffering from anxiety for the past year + and I have found the magnesium to help to keep me calm. About 2 years ago I fell rollerblading and had someone fall ontop of me which cracked my sacrum. It was about 5 month afterwards that I started to experience major panic and anxiety and about 4 months after that the dizziness appeared.

The Drs. think the dizziness is linked to my anxiety however, I am beginning to see a real pattern with my menstral. I have had a CT and it came back clean as well has been tested for every kind of ailment out there through blood work including allergies and despite having a coulple of delayed allergy issues and low blood sugar everything came back fine. I take good care of myself and keep my sugars stable with proper diet as well as am taking Chromium.

I am a very young 39 yr old and have two sons. My overal health is extremely good as is my mental outlook... but these dizzy spells are beginning to drive me nuts.

Anyone with any answers or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I am 34 years old, I just started getting these "migraines" right after my period also. They last anywhere from 2-4 days..HORRIBLE>>UNBEARABLE almost to the point I nearly throw up.
I dread it every month. I did go to my obgyn and he prescribed me Frova 2.5 mg..if you take it once the headache is so progressed it won't even touch the pain. But if you take it right when you feel the onset of a headache, it almost helps me everytime..I sometimes have to take more than one, but it usually gets the job done, as to where tylenol, motrin, alieve will not. I believe this is a new drug out and its costly, if you don't have insurance 270.00 , with insurance it was 65.00 for 9 pills. If you have ever had any issues with your heart, it's not recommended.
.Also tomoto juice is supposed to be very helpful, I was told this today and i googled it and sure enough it was mentioned in a article...so I think I will try that too. hope this helps

I had a headache now for 4 days. it fells like there is bleeding in my brain. Just 2 days ago i got mad at my friend and i than got this huge headache and i thought i was having a stroke. somebody help me

Hi,i hope your ok now.you dont say your age but it sounds as though your headache was due to you becoming mad at your friend and was stress with can give you a tension headache,strokes have more symptoms then just a headache usually your ability to speak,understand others is affected along with numbness on one side of the body,arm,leg,face,loss of vision,loss of balance as well as other symptoms.Life style plays a big factor in strokes so make sure you look after your health

I have the exact same thing. Headache before and after period. They each last for 2 days and are not helped by ibuprofen (which is what works on my normal headaches).

They make me a little nauseous, chilled and I lose motivation to do anything.

It usually feels like it's over one eye or the other, as though it were a sinus headache.

Seems hormone related - it only started happening in the last year (I am 45).

I get a headache (I have one now!) in the week after my period. They went away for awhile but this month it's back. It's bad but I don't think it's migraine-level, though it is my whole head. It starts two or more days after my period and is now on its third day. I don't usually take painkillers though I might take one tonight. I am not under any stress, and I eat right, though I did stop my regular exercise in the past month (gym membership ran out!) I'm 37, and I'm normal-to-slender weight. Oh and I was also dizzy today and yesterday... I'm going to chalk it up to hormones.

I am curious to know if anyone has gotten any relief from birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy? As much as I am reluctant to take hormones, if I knew it would cut down or help to control these headaches I think I would be willing to try. I just had one this past week-end and it totally incapacitated me! I usually also get one right before, during or right after my period. This time it happened on the third day, which is usually the day when my period slacks off to almost nothing. I have also tried FROVA and that does seem to help if I catch it in time.

It's good to know we're not alone in this!

I've been having the same type of thing! It only all started about 8 months ago and for the first few months I would get a migraine type headache (but with the pain just above the top of my nose) on the first day of my period, sometimes it would last a day, once it lasted a week! it was unbearable. Now, I am getting these migraines just as period finishes, so far it has lasted 4 days. I'm going to see doc about it again!
I never get them any other time of the month so must be down to hormone changes. I take extra stong paracetomal and helps get rid of it the first time the pain comes on, but since it hasn't worked, nothing works and can't cope with the nauseau feeling that comes with it.Any tips/advice would be appreciated thanks.

Get some exercise. Sounds simple, but it works. I run 50 miles a week (you don't need to run that much :-)...and am never bothered by post-period headaches when I run consistently. If I slack off around my period, aches, headaches, etc. can be a problem.

Sadly, our society immediately turns to drugs and doctors. Not necessary or the answer e time.

I get the headache at the end of my period and it lasts for 2-3 days and no medication helps. I am on the pill and that doesn't help either because you are off it when having your period. I start the pill again and I either already have the headache or it starts up....seems to be when my period ends.
The only think that I find helps is exercise. Unfortunately, it is about the last thing you want to do when your head is pounding but it really works. I have been running for around 6 years now and it is hard to get dressed and out of bed to run but as soon as my feet start going my headache is completely and totally gone within the first minute or two. Running also gets my nose running which might help as well. Anyway, most of the time this gets rid of the headache and sometimes it comes back but never as bad as what it was. Then I run again, the next day and usually that takes care of it.

I have had the same problem for the past almost two years. It first started of not every time but now is at the point that for 2 to 3 days after I have a very horriable headache. I take 4 to 8 ASA a day and it seems to help. Interesting is the suggestion about running (exercise) I will definatly give that a try. Other side note. I had my tubes tied 6 years ago and on other sites it was suggested that that maybe the cause of my headaches.
Will try and get back to this site with an update with how the running is helping.