pas150 wrote:

pas150 wrote:

k wrote:

I read this this morning and found some other info online...and tried taking Ibuprofen and coenzyme Q10 and my headache is mostly gone for the first time in 10 days!

I was taking Acetaminophen...and it didn't do anything.  I tried no caffine, a little caffine and my usual caffine - there was no change.

I figured an anti-infamatory (ibuprofen) and a supplement that is supposed to help with migraines - might do something.  Well, it worked for me.  So, I thought I better throw it out there.

k - Thanks so much for this post. I had a non-stop headache for 10 days after stopping the pill (after 25 yrs). Nothing was working. However, I started taking the CoQ10 yesterday and the headache has almost disappeared. Thanks again!

It's been a bit over a month since stopping the pill now. After about 2 weeks on COQ10, I no longer need that either. Headaches are gone and energy starting to return.

I am 31 years old. I have been off BC for two years now after taking the m 11 years. I have had mild daily headaches ever since. Until tonight it never occurred to me that stopping birthcontrol could have been the cause. I have spent the past two years playing the guessing game. I had all nine of my dental fillings replaced by a biological dentist to the type without the mercury since I heard that helped some people. The headaches were gone for about two weeks then returning same. I have had a pile of blood work done, all coming back normal except low vitamin d levels. I have had allergy tests twice now. I found out what I was allergic to but avoiding those things didn't change the headaches. On a positive note my periods are regular now without BC. The next thing the doctor wants to do is a urine test for heavy metals. I just can hardly believe that I over looked stopping BC as a possible cause of these headaches.

Glad to not be alone in this either but this is rather annoying for all of us. I stopped taking my birth control AZURETTE which was a BC specific for girls that are prone to migraines. I found that after stopping it abruptly like all of you have said I have had a dull, constant headache at the back of my head and down through the neck. I recently got the first shot of gardisil and was assuming it was due to the shot that I was feeling abnormally dizzy and just not feeling well. I stopped my birth control the same day I got the gardisil to prevent blood clotting. Have any of you had the headaches at the back of your head and your vision seem to be not what it used to be? 

After starting birth control 6 months in I started getting extreme migraines. They started out as a slight pain in one eye, then my vision became blured so badly I couldn't make out objects clearly. Then my hands and arms became numb and then my mouth making it hard to talk. I would mix up my words and have trouble talking. They would happen every couple months. My doctor switched my birth control to one with lower hormones, and the migraines seemed to get a little better. Finally after a year of this I decided to discontinue birth control totally, as it was getting in the way of life. I've now been off birth control for 8 months and have gotten migraines every month around my time except for one, and have been getting nauseous to the point of getting sick for these 8 months. I read it's normal to get migraines for up to 6 months after stopping birth control. But they're still getting in the way of my life. 

Anyone have advice? Should I see a doctor or wait to see if it goes away?  

Hey all.  I am experiencing the same thing.  One thing that has been helping is drinking a lot of water.  More than I ever have before, like I really need to think about it.  Water as soon as I wake up, an entire glass of water before drinking coffee (if you need to drink coffee...ha), water after, water before bed, water when I am not even feeling thirsty.  In any case, my theory is that the pill holds so much excess water in your body, that when you go off the pill, your body needs water.  It has worked for me, so I wanted to pass it on.

Since your post were over a year ago do you still have those headaches??I'm experiencing the same symptoms and u were on the injection for 3 months!headaches,dizziness,stiff neck,pressure in dront part of my head??very annoying been having this for the past 2 weeks!!

I was on Seasonique for about 5 years and had terrible headaches when I stopped. Fortunately after about 5 weeks the headaches went away. I've only had 2 headaches in the past 4 weeks which is less than ever. Of course, there's the small issue of not having any periods since I stopped taking the pills (9 weeks ago). I'm not in a rush to start again though - at 42 I'd be glad to just go through menopause and be done with this hormonal hoohah. 

I also have been on the Depo Shot for about 10 yrs. I am 42 yrs old an want to quit the shot, but the headaches are so bothersome that i give in and go get it again.. As soon as i get the shot, the headaches seem to disappear within the hour of injection..

I am 45, and have been on birthcontrol for over a year. I had a an ovarian cyst removed and 1 ovary removed, and was put on the pill to regulate my cycle. I decided to stop taking the pill a little over 2 weeks ago, and am now experiencing SEVERE hot flashes, night sweats, masssive headaches that won't go away, and loss of libido.  I don't want to be on the pill anymore. I am probably peri-menopausal, and have started taking all natural supplements. Is there anyone out there that has had the same experiences?

Hey yogagirl11 - I'm 42 and perimenopausal too. I haven't had an ovary removed though. No doubt that's an additional burden to your system.

I started taking supplements too and my hormones settled down. I think the biggest help is the omega3s and vitamin D3. I take three PlusEPA omegas/day (2 in the AM, 1 in the PM) and 15000 IU of D3 (2 500 IU pills in the AM/1 in the PM). I started taking these just after stopping the pill and it still took 5 weeks of headaches, hot flashes and sweating before things got better, but now - no more headaches, libido is back, hot flashes are a lot better.

Just this week I added Super Nutrition's Menopause Multiple which is also for women in perimenopause. Haven't really been taking these long enough to say whether it helps but they had excellent reviews from others. There are also natural progesterone creams that really do help. My partner used Emerita Pro-gest for a couple years when she was in menopause and it helped a lot with the hot flashes. Hope you can find some way to get through the next few weeks until your system settles down. Good luck!

I'm off of my birth control one week per month.  The placebo week.  I get a tremendous headache that has a life of it's own for the entire week!  I'm well aware of the common cause of a headache.  This is definitely because of discontinuing the use of my Ortho Cept bc.  I tried skipping a period once, & ended up bleeding for about 2months straight!  I feel very anxious just thinking about trying that again.  So this is why I stop my bc for the recommended week to allow my body to have a period, then start back up on the bc.

I originally started bc to help w/some acne issues.  It's worked wonderfully.  My face has cleared up.  Although the first month, second, and third month was the worst!  I felt sooo tired & drained.  Nausea everyday and the worst pain in my joints.  Mostly my legs.  After 3 months the side affects disappeared.  I will try the Q10 & pray that it works.  Thank you ladies for posting all of your suggestions, & taking the time to share.  Have any of you tried tying something very tightly around your head?  I tie a long sock very tightly around my head, and rest my eyes for a few minutes.  Feel better soon!

Getting headaches from going off the pill is normal. Migranes and headaches can be caused by high amounts of estrogen in the body which is why some women get headaches before they get their period (estrogen levels rise at this point because you are ovulating). When you go off the pill your body is attempting to regulate it's horomones again, and unfortunately, starts with too much of everything and is will decrease until it knows how much it needs. Once your body is able to regulate itself again the headaches are suppose to subside. How long will that take? Every woman is different so there is no real way to set a date for when you will feel better. Have a meeting with your family doctor and once it is confirmed that there isn't anything more serious going on try and find an over the counter pain medication that will relieve or stop the pain (you don't want to try and medicate yourself if it is a serious problem such as a tumor). I've been debating going off the pill since I've been on for 10 years now and have found that there is a lot of interesting facts on the internet including headaches linked with the borth control pill. I guess, all I can say is hang in there and once your body sorts everything out you will feel better.

Just as a tidbit our vision is affected by birth control. You should get your eyes checked, as crazy as it sounds.

Hi ladies I took the pill for seven days it gave me headaches i have mood swings and the 7th day i stop taking the pill two days later i came on my period and it was extremely heavy.

After having been on Triphasil/Triquillar for 30 year (yes, I'm a little older) my doctor suggested that I come off the pill to assess where I'm at in terms of peri-menopausal hormone levels. Ever since I have been off the pill (10 days), I've had a headache every day. It's been low grade in nature and comes and goes. Over the counter medications don't seem to work and I have access to heavier pain medication but I'm a little reluctant to take it (T3-potential liver issues). I'm hoping this is short term in nature.

If anyone knows of something please post it.

I had menstrual migraines on Yaz, and my doctor prescribed Imitrex, in the "triptan" family, (Maxalt, Zomig, also are triptans). These are great. They get rid of the migraines within a half hour, and you only need to take one, when you feel it coming on. However, now that I have gone off the pill (Yaz), I have had migraines every day. I take Alleve, exercise, and when that doesn't help, I'll take my Imitrex, especially if I have to go to work. I don't want to have to take it every day, even though I'm getting migraines every day. There are other solutions too - including anti-depressents - but who wants to take one drug instead of another? It's been three weeks. I hope this doesn't last too long - some posters say it ends in three months, but one person said it's been a year.