Hello Everyone!

I am a 19 year old female who underwent a hemorrhoidectomy to treat an internal hemorrhoid. During the hemorrhoidectomy the surgeon also performed a sphincterotomy and I think also a fissurectomy. I struggled with the internal hemorrhoid for years and can recall having it as early in my childhood as the age of 10. It never caused me severe discomfort until I was about 17, when the anal fissures originated. I was given stool softeners and various creams for the years leading up to my surgery and none of them resolved my chronic fissure or my chronic hemorrhoid. Being in university and struggling with this issue privately for years has been psychologically distressing. I am so young to be dealing with this type of health issue! Many people take advantage of their ability to go "number 2" with no stress, wherein it’s simply a daily event with little to no preparation. Bowel movements for me, however, were traumatic and painful. My entire day was spent dreading the experience and attempting to structure how often I was to go (Every other day to help manage the pain and give time for the fissures to heal). 

The part that saddens me the most is that I’m a healthy and fit young woman. I exercise daily, I eat healthy, balanced meals, and I drink plenty of water. My stool is always soft, yet I still struggled with this issue for so long at such a young age! WHY? Western medicine is a fantastic luxury, however there are some questions it simply cannot answer, and this is one of them. Perhaps a naturopath or a homeopath would suggest I have some underlining issue.

Well, that was my life before the surgery I had 8 days ago on the 8th of May 2013. I am hoping the surgery will prevent my past traumas from recurring!

The first day home from the hospital was agonizingly painful! I was prescribed Percocet and taking the maximum dose of 2 every 4 hours did not even suppress the pain. I had my first BM on the 3rd day. It was a very little amount though extremely painful and offered no relief. I was given Metamucil drinks to have 2-3 times a day and was also prescribed colace to help prevent constipation, often a side effect of the pain medication. From the 3rd day on I have had a BM every day, and with each day they are getting softer.

On this 8th day today, I don’t need to take any pain medication throughout the day! However, BM's are excruciatingly painful and I always take 1 after i go and spend a couple minutes sitting in a warm bath. I am worried i have new tears, which is emotionally devastating because i have done everything right with my diet and my BM's are soft! It hurts SO much more to have a BM than it ever did prior to surgery!

I would love for others to share their experiences Post-Op Hemorrhoidectomy. I would love to know how long it took for others to recover, their personal experiences, how long it took for BM's to be pain-free and how the surgery has altered others lives for better or for worse. Also, any opinions on why i struggle with this at such a young age would be greatly appreciated and options to prevent the fissures and hemorrhoids from returning.

PS: I am so happy i discovered this forum :)

Well, although i didnt get any responses on my post i have an update. It is day 12 and i feel SO SO SO much better! I no longer take the Percocet after BM's and the BM's are much more tolerable now. So happy to be getting back to my old self :) I would still love to hear of others experiences.

I thought I would give you a response to let you know that you're not the only one out there. I had the same procedures as you 19 days ago. I'm a guy and quite a bit older than you, 37, but apart from drinking too much sometimes I have always kept myself in good shape and drunk lots of water.

After the operation I had really painful anal spasms which the painkillers did nothing for. I also couldn't pee for hours after the operation until the threat of a catheter made me calm my muscles down. The BMs have actually been quite okay and the bleeding stopped after 14 days. I did quite a bit of walking yesterday and today I've had anal spasms for the first time in over 7 days. Because of that I'm not doing much today. The only real problem is that I've a little bit of fecal incontinence and that is something that has to stop!!

I hope you're still feeling better. In a few months we will be saying how glad we are that we had the operation!

Thank you so much for your post ! It is such an up and down rollercoaster of a recovery. Best of luck!

How isc everything now?

Sorry...how is everything now?
Over a year later!