Got any good exercises for hitting the long head of the tricep?

I use tricep pull downs and switch my grip every set. Rope hands are vertical, bar with palms down and bar with palms up. This will hit just about everything. Next unto triceps dips until they are toast.

The long head is the most lateral part of the triceps muscle. So, what Tribob said. About the switching grips stuff.

Also tricep kickbacks are good because you can rotate your hands during the motion.

When I do tri pull downs with palms up, what type of bar should I be using. My wrists and thumbs hurt when I do it.

I use a straight bar. Most have sleeves or rotating joint so you don't feel undo pressure on you wrists. It is ackward at first.

Latest issue of Muscle & Fitness mag has a great primer on Tri excercises:
Movements done with arms by your sides hit the medial and lateral heads most effectively; when you take your arms overhead, you stretch the long head for a better contraction.
Suggestions for above head tricep excercises are lying french press/overhead half press (aka Skull-crusher) or one-arm overhead tricep extension (with dumbell).