Hi, I had my rotator cuff surgery two months ago, but I’m still feeling pain. I was training football, and due to hard injury, I had it operated. During recovery time, I did all exercises and stuff. Still, I’m feeling that pain, is that a sign that something is wrong?

Hello, same problem here actually. I had my rotator cuff surgery almost year ago. During those first four or five months, I felt stiffness in my arm. However, after some period of time it all stopped. I was doing exercises five times a day. After those exercises, I applied ice on shoulder. Remember, you must do a full motion range with that hand, otherways it won’t heal well. Also don’t use that hand for pulling or grabbing things. If it swells, elevate it properly. If you see any changes beyond normal on your wound contact doctor immediately, and do it also if you have fever.

BROKE RADIUS UPPER, HUMEROUS LOWER. FX WRIST IN 3 PLACES
ROTATOR CUFF SURGERY ARTHROSCOPIC FXS IN 8-01-06 SHOULDER OPERATED 1-17-07 NOW 5-14-07 PAIN IN RIGHT SHOULDER CONSTANT ALSO ON AND OFF PAIN AT ELBOW AND PAIN IN WRIST AREA WEIGHT BEARING DO I NEED MORE TIME TO FEEL BETTER OR IS THIS AS GOOD AS IT GETS FIREMAN NYC

my surgery was aug o7....7 months ago and I still wake up 2 - 3 times a night and can't sleep on back or that side. was told to wait for physical therapy for the first 5 weeks. next 4 months of PT didn't do much until I got a better Physical Therapist at Kaiser. She worked me and it started to get much better. Unfortunately they transferred her and now I feel like I am not making any progress. I am desperate to get better. I used to surf and now I can hardly paddle out to the line up. I was wondering if I should get a cortisone shot and a new physical therapist. It's 7 1/2 months and I am not healed. It hurts to hold the arm up for more than a couple of minutes. Also have a strange condition...my back cracks every move I make. Trying to do sit ups is rediculous...crack, crunch, crack.

i have had this surgry twice now feb 07 and jan 08 and it still hurts but they say that im fine, bs now i have neck pain on that side also it hurts just on gp, i had an third mri im waiting to find out what is going on, they sent me back to work with no restiction also im stllin pain all day everyday.

i had cuff surgery in july been 5 months ..still havent woke up pain free but geting better ..i just wonder when i can start tossing ball again ..and when the tingly feeling in my forearm will finally go away ..its like its still asleep ..ive been doing small work outs 10 pound lifts and 40 pound curls ..wonder if this is helping or long term hurting ..i was told after surgery i could never bench press again with free wieghts ..

I had this surgery on my right shoulder 3 months ago and on the left shoulder about 3 years ago. I'm right handed so this time it really frustrating I wake with pain and have all kinds of twinges and some days continuous pain. On my left side I have no pain or daily aches and have full range of motion. I have to remind myself that the left doesn't hurt.
This healing takes along time ( maybe a year before notice that it doesn't hurt today) there is alot of nerve and muscle tissue that go through that area. I used to be in the gym regularly doing a weight program but for now I use light weights( 3 to 10 lbs.) and many reps . My feeling is that heavier weights to soon might put me back where I was before surgery.
It does get better. :-)

Man am I glad to find this posting. I had Rotator cuff surgery and scapula scraped to decompress my AC joint on the top of my shoulder 3 months ago. Still have quite a bit of pain. Even wake up at night with pain. Saw my surgeon yesterday and he made me fill like I was crazy said I shouldn't still be in pain and made me feel like all I wanted was drugs. The pain is real. I also have neck pain, but after the way my dr acted about my shoulder pain I didn't mention it. Not glad others are suffering but glad to know it is not just me. I guess my doc is the crazy one. It really did surprise me though as before my surgery he told me to expect at least 4-6 months of recovery time and some people even longer before they are 100%. Not sure what changed. Thinking about getting a second opinion. Good luck everyone.

I am sooooooooo relieved to find this posting too! I am 10 weeks post-op for rotator cuff/labrum repair and have quite a bit of pain still. My dr. too treats me like all I want is more pain medication which could NOT be further from the truth! She seems to think I'm not in the pain that I truly am in. It all makes me feel quite crazy -- trying to work, manage the pain, go to therapy three days/week. I hurt from the side of my neck, across the shoulder, down the entire arm to right above my thumb. My upper chest and back also ache. I ice several times a day and still take pain meds 2-3 times a day. I will run out soon and have a feeling won't be prescribed any more. The dr. wants me to switch to tylenol which does ABSOLUTELY nothing and says that I can't take ibuprofen because it impedes healing. I suspect that there is something wrong but can't seem to get it across to my dr. My therapist says that she understands and that all patients are different. I do like her but feel like she gives me lip service to get me back out the door. It helps to know I'm not the only one.

I had rotator repair surgery 12 years ago and not a day has passed that my shoulder has not hurt! I have been to 3 different shoulder specialists and they basically say "nothing is wrong". The joint feels REALLY sloppy and there is a large sunken spot on the top that is NOT on the other side. I did all the PT as prescribed and took it easy for over 6 months. No heavy lifting over 30 pounds for over a year after surgery. I am at my wits end--Any ideas?

I had Rotator cuff surgery and scapula scraped on the top of my shoulder 3 weeks ago. Have quite a bit of pain. Thanks for all the posts here, very helpful in letting me know what to expect. I'm wearing the sling and bump as required and am doing the minimal exercises as tols by my Doctor and PA. I accidentally bent my arm back (while wearing the sling) to shut off a light switch and got a jolt of pain like I was stabbed with a hot poker. (wasn't electricuted) Has anybody else done something like this, I feel stupid and am kind of afraid to tell the Doctor when I see him next week.
Thanks for ant replies in advance.

had surgery 3 days ago and in soooo much pain! should the pain meds give me at least 30 minutes of relief? i'm going crazy. can't even breath without twinges of pain which break the constant achey pain. HELP!

Hello. I had rotator cuff surgery about 5 months ago. I am not feeling too much pain anymore. Some days are tough, but it was not that long ago. I got hurt in the line of duty and I was able to go back to work light duty after a couple of months. I am still somewhat sore, but I heard that is to be expected. I can do about 20 push-ups now without too much discomfort. It seems to be coming along pretty well. I do get a lot of clicking and popping from time to time, and I still feel like I am always really careful with my left arm, but I heard that it takes about a year for a full recovery with constant strength training and stretching (and ice after PT). My best advice to anyone who has had this surgery is to stretch it and work it out everyday as much as possible for the 1st 6 months. You will gain mobility and reduce pain quickly that way. AND DO NOT GET A CORTISONE SHOT. It's a quick fix and can cause more harm than good. Just be patient and it will get better with time.

My surgery was in December and, for the most part, has been smooth healing. I am still experiencing intermittent bouts of pain and have an excellent surgeon who has been very responsive. I started some anti-inflammatory last week, with some new pain relievers, and tomorrow I see his recommended chiropractor to help relieve the newly accumulated muscle knots, tension and pain in my neck and back.
I feel lucky that he doesn't think medication is bad and has been staying tightly connected to the follow-up care of all his shoulder surgery patients. I too feel those searing jolts of pain, the pinches, tingling, stiffness, etc. He is willing to check it as necessary to alleviate my fears of re-injury and is not afraid prescribe medication, therapy, treatment--whatever the situation warrants. I say, find a follow-up care giver that understands this surgery and is responsive. Twice now, just knowing I hadn't re-injured myself was enough relief to relax some of my muscle tension. Good luck to all and thanks for your helpful posts. We're not crazy! Just in need of good care-taking.

I'm approaching my 4th month post op from shoulder surgery. I had a rear tear, bone spur and cyst. Before surgery, I couldn't sleep and had less than 50% use of my right arm and had constant pain, throbbing. After surgery, the throbbing had stopped and rehab (25 sessions) went by quickly and with little problem, but I did my exercises at least 3 times a day and stretched in the floor each night. I still have some stiffness and still wake up at night, but not like I used too!!! I can tell that I'm at least 90% repaired and hear that that last 10 - 15% heals very slow. My wife and I went bowling last Friday night with some friends. I went with every intention of not bowling, but gave in. The shoulder was silky smooth and I won the first game against 3 other men. Even though I've graduated from therapy and can feel my arm slowly getting better, I try to continue my exercises at least twice a day and feel that I'll continue the exercises for another couple of months until I wake up without stiffness. So, keep on doing those exercises and stretches in the floor!