I took my last dose of suboxone 5 days ago. Symptoms started on day 2...similar to the symptoms that I experienced coming off of Percocet, oxycontin, dilauded, etc, but not as bad. Still, I've missed two days of work, can't sleep, muscles are achy...feels like my bones are growing and my skin is shrinking. I'm not sick as far as bathroom issues, but have been unable to eat or drink anything. I even tapered the way my doctor prescribed...he, of course promised me that I would not experience any withdrawal. Right. I just really need for someone to be able to tell me how long this is going to last. I was on 8mg for just about 9 months. I feel myself regressing. I've doen so well, before all of this withdrawal started. Now I'm back to being profoundly aware of how I feel, that I need something, that I'll never be normal and healthy again. Can anyone shed some light on my predicament? I really just want to know how long this is going to last. If someone says concretely, 10 days, I feel like I'll be able to push through. At this point, I feel like this will last forever. I have life responsibilities, I cannot take 3 months of this. I appreciate any insight available.[/list][/list]

:-( Hi. I just read your post, noticed that its been over a month old now. You may have got an answer by now though, and hopefully you're out of withdrawal...

I, too am on Suboxone. 8mg's a day in which I am down from 16mg's a year ago. I am afraid of withdrawal myself when i start another taper, cause I cant stay on it forever. Nor can I afford it without insurance.

From the forums I've read on Sub, and with us both being on it this long- the withdrawals are unfortunately going to be longer than the typical 10 days of your average narcotic withdrawal. But since Sub's half-life is so very much longer than that of an average narcotic, the w/d's could last MONTHS. Fortunately not as severe as going cold turkey with the usual narcotics though. I have heard that the fatigue/depression lasts the longest of average w/d symptoms.

Did you not taper down gradually? Maybe you did, but just didnt mention the specifics in your post. Suboxone as well as other narcotics aren't meant to taper down too quickly, especially the longer one has been on them. And the higher the tolerance, the longer the taper as a general rule. Unfortunately I had a very high narcotic tolerance and 8-9 years of use. I had no choice but to quit. Sub had seemingly been a g-d send in the beginning. But after the first few months, it didnt work as well anymore.

And now I just use it to "maintain." I'm afraid to go back into the world without SOME kind of chemical 'crutch.' But Sub has screwed up my vision as well as teeth. And I, too am facing having no choice but to start tapering VERY SOON. I've read that a slow taper is best, but becomes most difficult when down to the last 2mg's or less. And from there, "jumping" off entirely isn't a pretty sight. I'm absolutely dreading and living in fear of those days ahead...

If I had to do it over, I would've FORCED myself to taper off of narcotics with Sub no more than a month's taper. Because the longer you're on Sub (or any narcotic) the longer the taper and withdrawal symptoms. Please let me know what happened in your Sub experience. And anybody else that's been on or on Suboxone/Subutex. Thank you.

what exactly does half life mean

im actually in the process of getting off subs... ive only been on them for about 3 months. Ive went back and forth between narcotics and sub which isnt good. Its my first day off subs and im scared about the coming days. Last time i didnt make it past day 2, but i gotta get through this time. Any ideas about how long withdrawals would last from being on subs (8mg) about a quarter a day, for 3 months? i first feel hot and cold... will i feel more, horrible, annoying stuff after the hot sweats and cold chills symptom?

From my experience, it takes about 2-3(or 14-18 days) weeks for the withdrawals to stop. And once that is done, it's just some lingering mental withdrawal... like anxiety, depression, and lack of energy.

Typically, for me I start to feel better about day 13, the days go by faster and things quickly improve from there.

Good luck!

Over the past 5 years I've detoxed about every way you can imagine. I began with oxys, around 160mgs/day. I was very naive then, and didn't even realize I'd face a physical WD. Once I did realize, I stopped, and got better. Shortly after I told myself I'd be an "occasional" user, just to ensure I wouldn't become physically addicted again. Who was I kidding. Oxys. became too expensive, so I started doing heroin. i somehow managed to quit somewhere down the line, as I wasn't doing too much at the time (maybe 5 bags a day-roughly .5g, probably a bit less) Withdraw was a b***h, but I got through it. Obviously, I have an extremely addictive personality, so again, at some point I began using(heroin). It got real bad this time, and I was up to about 2+ bundles/day(20+bags-well over 1g a day) I learned about suboxone through a friend at the time, and I successfully got off dope...again...just this time it was substituted with sub.(I had no RX, was just buying them from a friend) I weaned myself down to about 2mg/day from 8 over time. I knew nothing of the drug at the time, and had now idea how powerful it was. I moved away at the time for a new job, and only brought a few pills with me, with full intentions on quitting. To say the least, the WD's were awful. From what I remember, I didn't start feeling better for about 9days. Ok, all this, long story short is that I fell back into old habits, again, but this time I've been off dope for a year, with suboxone in its place. Now, since I remembered what it felt like the last time, I slowly weaned myself down from a 16mg/sub. RX to .25mg/day. Its almost impossible to break them any smaller (BTW they were 2mg pills) What is sad is that I've felt this so many times, yet I still find myself online trying to absorb as much info. as I can about how long this is going to last, what I can do to make it easier, etc...I took my last dose of sub. on Fri morning (6am) It was a bit smaller than .25mg, so I began WD's before Sat. even hit. It's now Wed, and I still feel like sh*t. Chills, sever cramps in my legs, arms, back etc, bathroom issues, and pretty much a constant head ache. Really, the only reason I'm posting this is to hopefully better inform people about what to expect. Make no mistake, sub. is extremely strong. I'm 5days in, and feel no better than I did the first or second day of WD's. Good luck to anyone that is, or is going to be quitting subs. It doesn't last forever.

Hey to everyone out there,

I'm on day 12. It's 7:10PM I felt better yesterday than I did today. Most of today I've had abdominal pain right in the spot where my Gall-bladder used to be. I had two surgical procedures last October... one to completely remove my gall-bladder and one to remove Gall-stones from my bile duct. Anyway, I'm worried that now that I'm well into my Suboxone-detox (been on Suboxone 5 years without a single relapse and before that was on Methadone for 6 years, so I've been clean from using illegal drugs to get high for 11 consecutive years now and I realize that whenever you stop taking opiates and then begin to abuse them again, you start virtually where you left off.) I've read that the withdrawals I'm feeling after almost two weeks off of the Suboxone is not just from the Suboxone but it's a cumulative effect of all the opiates I've taken over the past 14 years (including the opiates that where used as part of a maintenance program) I do feel better at times. It's like I'll have a few hours where I don't feel completely aweful anymore and then I'll have several hours where I feel just like I did on days three and four. I'm worried I might have an infection in my abdomin, because I'm getting pain like I had before I had my gall-Bladder removed. I had an infection then, back last October, too... before my surgeries. My question is this... should I go back to the hospital I went to, even though I still owe them money for the surgeries? I am in a lot of pain... it's almost trumping the uncomfortable live-wire/creepy crawly back and arms feeling that I've been feeling for the last twelve days. I wish that symptom would go away. I take and cut a 0.1mg clonidine pill in half and take them two to four times a day depending on how bad my live-wire/goose-flesh is. Today, I decided (especially after feeling so much better yesterday than today) to take the whole 0.1mg pill all at once in the morning (it's how they actually say to take it on the bottle) and then tonight at about 6:45PM I took another whole 0.1mg Clonidine. My doctor say there can be a backlash effect and it can actually make you feel like you got the live-wire/goose-flesh after you stop taking it and he only prescribed it to me, if I promised I would do I very gradual taper off of it. I'm just really scared about this and the pain on the right side of my abdomin. It's hurting a lot and seems to be getting worse. I also have what appears to be a case of pink eye coming on... just to make matters even more crappy (forgive the pun, I know that pink eye is an infection caused by the eye getting exposed to human waste... gross) I just really hope it's not. Another BIG QUESTION... Would it hurt me any to take an antibiotic during my detox from Suboxone? Would it make me feel more sick? I really don't know... I have a prescription from two weeks ago that I never took... for a dental-related infection, but I remember My Suboxone doctor prescribed it for me when I had my first gall-bladder attack and it helped with the infection... for a while, but it had to ultimately be removed... HELP ANYONE?

I've been on suboxone for close to 6 months at 24 mg a day. 3 - 8mg tabs per day. For the most part I did great up until the last 2 months where I've relapsed three times. I've never felt this bad in my life. I haven't slept for close to 72 hours because I'm restless, all over. This is day 8 since I've been off subs and day 3 since Ive done an oxy. Learn from my mistakes people, take this route only if you're truly serious about it. I should mention I cut myself off completely while I was still at 16 mg per day. I've been laid off which is both a blessing and a curse at this moment but hopefully I can push through it. I don't believe I'll be able to attain pills any more as my only contact moved yesterday. What a way to go out right? I should mention I have been smoking weed profusely which does calm down the restless feeling I have all over my body. The symptoms are still there but I feel them less when I'm completely stoned. Well I need to get back to this hellish existance. Think before you make this decision.

Good Luck!
I'm currently withdrawing from subs. It's been about 7 days, the second and third day were the worst for me! now it's slowed down, but is still horrific, i'm having flu symptoms now. Do not give up! it is very hard, but you can make it! i did.

I am on my 10th day. I stopped 16mgs on the 2nd of July. It has been nothing short of horrifying at times. Bodyaches are the worst. Can't sleep, can't get comfortable. My bones felt like they were growing at times. Didn't eat a full meal until 8th day. Today seems to be better, so far. Last night I was able to get about 4 hours of sleep. Been the most sleep I had. Keeping my fingers crossed I am heading down the other side of the mountain.

i'm on my first day off subs and its very uncomfortable. My doc prescribed me clonidine to take for 3 days but i don't think its working. i was taking 1/4 of a 2mg when taking subs. Any advice on relieving this withdrawal or any ideas on how long this is going to last...???

Hang in there, I had all of those same symptoms as you are feeling. I was on 24 mg for 11 months and tapered out to 2mg before stopping. Day 2 also started the fun for me as well in contrast to what my doctor advised me. It took 7 days before I could lay still in bed and get 5 hours of sleep. I am on the 10th day right now and can honestly tell you the despair of never feeling human has been lifted. I do still have trouble sleeping on and off now, day 8 I thought it was over, I slept great, felt great, day 9 my legs, back of knees and ankles felt terrible and I got no sleep, but today #10 I feel good again and know its almost over. I suggest surrounding yourself with people who support you, get to a meeting (NA). You can make it and believe me its a great feeling to wake up and not rush to your subs, or to be out late in not think about when you can take it before bed, its freedom, its worth it. You wont feel complete at day 10 but you wont be able to deny how much better are feeling,... and you can lay still.

ive been on subs for about 2yrs now and i am also laid off its the sh*t in your head that sucks.... Knowing that all you need to do is take a quater of an 8mg to feel better...Its nice to know that im not the only one going through this sh*t of a time... I thought it would be good to go on vac. cause that would help me not think about it and took my last one on the day we left... Now im in New York from North carolina and all i can think about is getting home so i cafind somone to help me...With an opiate or a sub. even though i know what is going to happen.... Its our brains telling our body that you need it because its used too haveing it... Im sure most of the people on this site have tried some sort of detox and after they kick you out after 3 days you dont know what to do because you feel sooooooo bad... its so much easier to relapse...Well its been a gruling week and i got one more to got hopefully ill feel better by the time i get home so i do want to get any thing.... Im sure that nobody is reading this wondering if they should take subs. so im not gonna say dont do it cause you prolly already are by this point... The W/D arent AS bad as opiates but it still sucks... Keep your head up is about all i can say even though you prolly have been for the last week... good luck too all and all a good night...

My doctor told me the same thing! I was on 1/8 of a 2mg when she told me to stop...She told me I would have no wds and gave me clonidine too for the first 3 days...i had horrible wds and am back on 1/8. I want to make this my last sub dosage...but i'm scared to death of the horrible wds... i can't live like this...any ideas how long the wds will take? I was on subs for 2 1/2 months.

glad i surfed in here. i kicked dope a few times and am wd from sub now. wuz down to 1 mg a day for 2 weeks be4 going off 5 days ago. last nite was the worst with joint pains and kicking (kicking subs?); but glad i got to read posts. i haven't had a full meal in 5 days; haven't had much energy; cravings for dope kicked in yesterday; depression kicked in yesterday. plan is to push through this time. i'm just glad to know i'm not imagining my symptoms and someone else is experiencing them too.