Hello, I am 27 years old, and I am feeling severe muscle spasms in my upper abdomen. I have not seen a doctor yet. I used to get them every now and then, it seems if I turn my body or sit a certain way, then these spasms come on. It's hard to move...I have discovered the only way to make the pain go away quickly is to lay flat on my back for a minute. Lately though, I have been experiencing this much more frequently than before. Sometimes it feels like a mid upper abdomen pain, and sometimes it feels more like the left side. If anyone might have any ideas, I would certainly appreciate the feedback.

i have extrememly bad muscle spasms in the upper abdomen too. when it hits it is like being punched in the stomach. then for a day or two after sever soreness. but i do not know what it is or what is causeing it. went to dr. had tests, shows nothing. so now what?

I too have what seems to be spasms in my left ribcage, upper abdomen. it started when i was nursing my baby and i get them off and on. i don't do sit-ups much anymore because this brings it on as does some yoga positions. You can see i large bump protruding while it is happening. my doctors thought it was hernisa but came up with nothing. this is very irritating!

I hapenned to have the same spasms this weekend, I've had them a couple of times before, they were so painful, I could not even stand or breathe, it was so bad the last two times I went to the emergency room, and the first time they treated me as an outpatient for amoebas, the second time they left me in the hospital, for a day, I was dehydrated, put me on an IV drip and gave me antibiotics ( metronidazole) , strong painkillers and a 5 day treatment on antibiotics for amoebas, check it out with your doctor, the first three or four times I did not go to the doctor, but it keeps getting worst when it happens again. these bugs can destroy your intestines.

tamster71

I have had muscle spasms in my upper stomach for years now. I went to emergency rooms, doctors, for years i was being treated for stomach ulcers when in fact it was not that at all. I finally had some really bad ones and had to go to the ER via ambulance. I spoke to a nurse practioner and she mentioned that I should be checked for scholiosis. I went to a chriopractor the next day. The did some xrays and discovered that I in fact do have scholiosis, thankful it is not a severe case but when I have those spasms it sure feels that way. Sometimes I have them in my upper stomach and up my entire back. They are so bad that I sweat and loose color and then once ther relax I am freezing. The only relief I can seem to get when they come on is laying flat on back and sometimes that doesnt help. Sometimes they last a few minutes and sometimes hours. I finally tried to take pain relievers that was prescribed to me but they seemed to cauzse them as the meds wore off. I finally got prescribed flexirl and if I feel like I am going to have them I take one immediately and thatusually keeps them from coming on. Although, sometimes I still have them juat not as severe as they would be without the meds. I also if I absolutly do not want to take the meds I have my husband rub where the spasms seem to be starting from and that usually helps if we catch them in time.

I'm a 25 year old female, and I've had severe abdominal muscle spasms on and off for about 6 months now. They seem to be brought on by stretching too far or bending in an awkward position. The first time it happened, I'd been at the gym doing a lot of crunches, but I never felt any pain. Hours later, back at home, my stomach began to ache like I needed to go to the bathroom. From there the pain snowballed until my entire torso was in severe pain. It was such a consuming pain, I couldn't tell where the pain was coming from. No position was comfortable and after laying in bed in agony, teeth gritted and tears flowing, a family member took me to the emergency room.

About 30 minutes after we entered the ER the pain suddenly subsided but the Dr. on duty proscribed Soma and Vicodin to get me through the weekend. The muscle spasms lasted about 2 hours. I had the beginning of another episode later that night, but I took the Soma and Vicodin as soon as the pain began, not wanting another episode.

The only way I can describe the pain is like I'm having a torso charlie horse or being tased/shocked. It's completely debilitating to the point that sometimes I can't even stand or sit. On a scale of pain with 0 being no pain and 10 being tortured to death, the pain is certainly an 8+.

I've had other episodes, some less severe than others. Many times, I feel the pain radiating from just under my left ribcage, but once the spasms start, my entire torso from just under my ribcage down to my abs and around my back is in an incredible amount of pain. As soon as I feel the tell-tale ache, I take the medication to stop it from getting out of control.

The ER gave me Soma and Vicodin, which worked very well. My General Practitioner proscribed Flexeril, a muscle relaxer, and tylenol. Both work as well. My GP said to go to physical therapy. I did the stretches, but it seems to resurface every few months.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? What did your Dr. diagnose it as? Any similar stories or advice are appreciated.

I have had constant upper abdomen spasms for close to 30 years to one degree or another-There have been no medical answers despite consultations from every dr imaginable-sometimes pain and other symptoms come along with it but primarily upper abdominal sometimes more intens on the left size-Help

Guest wrote:

I'd like to hear a little more about who you went to and who you talked to because I don't doubt that you've had a hard time finding people to get a solutoin to your problem but I wonder who you've talked to and who you've consulted with because perhaps you have not seen the right doctor yet. Can you give me a little more information?

I have had these muscle spasms for a while also.They come when i sneeze sometimes ,when i laugh ,or when i cough alot, and the only way to get rid of them is to lay flat which is pretty embarassing when you are in public with no benchs and have to lay on the ground in the middle of a busy sidewalk.I wonder why the doctors havent found a cure for this yet but they have found a cure for everything else.

Well to be fair to doctors, they have not found a cure for everything else. There are still a lot of problems people suffer with that medical science has been unable to help cure, so don't feel like you're alone--you're not. It sounds to me like there is definitely some sort of nerve problem so I have to ask if you've ever seen a neurologist?

I get muscle cramps also and it started when I was younger in the middle of aerobics. I feel I stretched my stomach muscle and it went down hill after that. I get stomach cramps in the upper part of my stomach and it hurts and burns for days afterwards. It doesn't matter what I do I still get them terribly. It all balls up to one side. It really frightens me and I start sweating real bad. I have to relax just like other cramps in the body. My doctor told me I had to just live with it. Nice to hear that. I have been to a neurologist several times and tests show nothing. I thought it had to do with a hernia but I was told it didn't have anything to do with it. I just live with it.

That's really frustrating to hear that the doctors have been unable to find something to help you but it appears that you suffer from random muscle spasms and it's not something that they'd be able to easily help cure. Unfortunately, muscle issues are often difficult to fix. I hope that you're doing well. How are you coping with it?

... so i google'd my stomache spasms, found this web site and it seems i am not the only one, nor am i the only one to not have a clue what it is or why im getting them. think i'll go see my gp, they are not to bad yet, very uncomfortable, just hope its not something that gets worse in time, ive been having them for 2 and half years, since having my 2nd child.

WOW finding this site was like getting a miracle and although i'm glad to find out that there are quite a few of us sharing this weirdness, i am sad for us all, due to the fact that Drs don't seem to have any answers. i'm sure that will all change when this malady strikes a few of them, or their families. Good to hear that some Drs will prescribe relief. Would really like to understand the underlying cause. Can't laugh, can't cry, can't stretch in certain ways, sometimes can't even wipe my u-know-what, without potentially facilitating a most excruciating experience. I have other "symptoms" that seem related and that are affecting other muscles. Thanks 2 all for posting.

I have had these for years .I thought they were caused by low potassium so I started taking supplements that helps,I don't have so many now. When they hit it is like a charlie horse,I have to put heat on it.I get in the shower with the water on just hot let that beat down on it til it goes away.It is terrible ,they seem to come on more when I'm really tired and if I don't take supplements regarly.Even with all that
i still get them.I can usually tell when they are coming.I wish I knew what it was and had treatment for it but I have no insurance.When they come they are unbearable.