This post is an extension of the
Unexplained dizziness, constant heavy head, extreme fatigue, subtle nausea thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I recently read about this in another forum. I have just made an appointment with the Vision Specialists of Birmingham Michigan.

Dr. Debby Feinberg began practicing Optometry in Oakland County in 1983.

Dr. Feinberg has been developing the field of Neurovisual Optometry. This area of specialization involves the diagnosis and treatment of neurological conditions (such as headache and dizziness) that have an optometric or visual cause. One of the primary neurovisual conditions that Dr. Feinberg has done pioneering work on is called Vertical Heterophoria, a condition where the eyes are misaligned, causing severe headaches and balance related problems.

SHE IS ONE OF ONLY 3 people studying this neurological condition.

visionspecialistsofbirmingham.com

I have had the symptoms for 6 years. Seen many doctors as you all have, but this seems to make sense. I asked her about the Sternocleidomastoid muscle and whether or not my eyesight can affect it as well. Symptoms of this strained muscle produce similar symptoms as well. (see below) She said EVERYTHING is related in the head. Eyes, Ears, Throat, Nerves, everything. Eye strain, poor posture. to much computing for long periods of time. Diet, Lack of exercise. Its all one big puzzle that needs to be put back together.

____________

Sternocleidomastoid (SCM) is the big ropey muscle that runs from the mastoid process (the rounded bump behind your ear) to the joint between collarbones and sternum at the base of your throat. This paired muscle pulls the head forward and down, and acts as a checkrein to prevent the head from falling backward.

What Goes Wrong

When the SCM is strained or shortened the muscle itself rarely hurts, no matter how stiff or tight it may be. Problems are referred elsewhere, to head and neck, ears, eyes, nose and throat. The astonishing laundry-list of pain and dysfunction includes severe dizziness and other neurological symptoms. These may be mistakenly diagnosed as migraine, sinus headache, atypical facial neuralgia, trigeminal neuralgia, arthritis of the sternoclavicular joint, ataxia, multiple sclerosis (MS), brain lesions, tumors, and other frightening conditions. As always, these possibilities should be eliminated through differential diagnosis. However, because of its intimate relationship with the brain stem and several nerves including the vagus nerve, the SCM can produce many neurological disturbances all on its own. One is a condition known as “postural dizziness” —- just walking around feeling dizzy and disoriented -— perhaps with a frontal headache commonly interpreted as “sinus” pain.

I have an appointment Oct 13. She said she'll know right away if I can be treated.
This gives me some ray of hope. Check out her work on their website. Its amazing that people who study the eyes haven't realized that this could be a problem.

I'll reply again after the appointment

hey dizzydoug....ur post looks interesting....i had a word with my mom today after reading ur post and asked if she thot something could be wrong with her eyes..(she has this constant dizziness now for almost 2 months)....she said yes definitely she has found that for the past year or so, she has felt that she has had problem in focusing at things..like when she wakes up in the morning and wants to see the time on the clock and puts the torch light on it, it might take a sec or a fraction of a sec. before she can catch hold of the clock-hands...also, i asked her to close the eyes and then move her head around...and she said that there was a 50% reduction in her symptom when she closed her eyes....!!!...so can this be coz her nerves/muscles have to distort to focus on stuff when she changes posture and thus a dizziness envelopes her mind....(we should remember here that she does not have any problem when she is sitting or in a sleeping posture)..only when she turns her neck/head/back, she has that dizziness ..and if she does the same with closed eyes, the symptom is reduced half....so are we getting something here....also, she has spects with a cylindrical number....please repond if this makes any sense.....

doctorjackson.org/health/vertigo.cfm?gclid=CL2joNCc15QCFQNaFQodSWDQkQ

This is a very fascinating thread. I have suffered from migraine headaches since I was 12, but two years ago I started having severe dizziness, headaches and palpitations. Then I started getting intestinal problems and extreme fatigue and weakness. I had the doctors stumped and went through the typical "it must be all in your head" prognosis. I kept searching for answers and finally narrowed it down to Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS). We had done some minor home improvements in the last little while, one of which was installing laminate flooring and MDF baseboards in our main bath. We pulled those out as they have formaldehyde in them. My muscle weakness improved considerably just from that. We also stopped using all scented products in our home including laundry detergent (one caution with laundry detergents is that some will same unscented, but a chemical is used to mask the scent, so try to find ones that are fragrance free). I have been very fortunate, as when I discussed this with my GP, she looked into it and now totally backs me. While she admits that she has no answers for me, she does not think it is in my head. In fact, she is starting to see that a number of people are affected by it and even found a trigger in her own office that she has since corrected.

Chemical avoidance and nutritional support have been the things that have helped me the most. I started by switching to an organic, whole foods diet. That helped but I decided to take things even further by switching to an organic, raw vegan diet and using some nutritional supplements. I have come a long way and in some ways, I have felt better than I ever have in my whole life.

For the last month I have found myself getting headaches again and I have been dizzy for a couple of days. Looking back there are two things that could be causing this. I had the one mercury filling that I had replaced and my oldest son started using cologne. He only put it on when he would be getting ready to leave, but it would still leave a strong chem trail behind him. Two years ago, I would become weak and ill just walking outside when peoples dryers were running and they used scented laundry products. My body got strong enough that I could walk through that without becoming ill, but now my system is weakened again and it is starting to affect me again. So I am going to concentrate on detoxing the mercury that may be in my system and my son is no longer using cologne.

We live in a very toxic world. There are toxins in the air we breath, the foods we eat and the products that we use on our bodies. This is a condensed version of my story but I hope that it may be of some help for someone.

Jenny in Alberta

I know everybody's symptoms vary. Sounds like an e-mail to Dr. Debby could be worth it as I'm no doctor. I do know laying down with something behind my neck helps. Icing my eyes is refreshing too. My eyes feel heavy, tired, and occassionally water. They feel as if someone is pushing on them from the inside out. Or like you've just crossed your eyes and that brief moment afterwards when you need to adjust. It's crazy. My neck is heavy as well and sometimes my glands feel swollen. Tilting my head from side to side causes lightheadedness and automatic pressure on the eyes. On bad days, when I walk, when my foot hits the ground my vision "bounces". These are everyday symptoms I've had for 6 years. After a long day on the computer, my drive home is downright annoying, I feel stoned. I get home and lay down and of course this is the last thing my wife wants to see me do. Its affected all motivation and initiative. Nobody understands what we all have been going through on this forum. Again, Ill post my results from Doctor Debby after she sees me Oct. 13.

God Bless all

Dizzydoug

Hey Dizzydoug, thatnks for the info. I know how it must feel, as Ive heard it in my mom's voice....may god alleviate each of ours suffering.

I've read all of these posts as well as all ther others from the other thread and nobody has found out what is going on? I've had these symtoms for over 13 years. The Doctors push anxiety, depression medication. I've been on Valium for this whole time. I forget what it's like to feel real.
With me, I noticed this about three years after getting married and quit smoking.( I thought it was the smoking, I hoped) I've smoked a couple times for about a year at a time in these 13 years and didn't feel better. I also own a company and am under quite a lot of stress as well. So I would guess that it's either the marriage or the job or a combination of the two. Does anyone have any answers. I've had all tests done and the Dr.'s say I'm normal. I don't feel normal.

Hi everyone, I was experiencing similar symptoms: dizzy spells, subtle nausea and bouts of extreme fatigue. I visited a doctor in Massachusetts, who has helped me tremendously. He told me I had toxins in my system, metals and I also had several food allergies. He put me on a detoxification regemin... that was at the end of July. 2 months later and the dizziness is pretty much totally gone. From my first visit with him, the dizziness got milder, and milder and milder. Even when I tilt my head way way back, it does not bring on the dizziness, whereas before, that would always bring it on. Im very happy!
The tiredness is also gone, and I feel really good. My health has improved tremendously. I really hope that my post helps people.
The problem is basically toxins in the system, especially heavy metals: aluminum, lead, mercury. You can google heavy metal poinsoning and find our for yourself if you like.
Here is the link to the doctor who helped me:

doctorjackson.org/health/vertigo.cfm

there are many people on these forums suffering various symptoms which seem to relate to the same thing, which is more than likely, the problems are related to yeast overgrowth. I was lucky enough to find a physician, Dr. Richard N. Ash, who is an integrated doctor and has written a book entitled "what your doctor may not tell you about IBS". (YOu can find this book on Amazon). I implore you to at least do some reading about candida, to see how it mimics other afflictions, but can be handled so easily by taking supplements and altering your diet. Many people don't want to hear that their problems might be caused by yeast overgrowth, because in order to get rid of systemic yeast, you must make lifestyle changes which include (for some) radically altering your diet. But i can tell you from personal experience that it works! i was suffering from an earache last winter, and when i went to see Dr. Ash, he looked at my tongue and my fingernails, and told me my yeast was acting up again and to go home and being the "yeast diet". ANY OTHER DOCTOR WOULD HAVE GIVEN ME A PRESCRIPTION FOR ANTIBIOTICS! when in fact that was the last thing i needed, because the antibiotics would have destroyed any "good" bacteria in my system and allowed the yeast to really take over!!

Please, do some research and take charge of your body.

PS Eliminating yeast problems also clears your mind and lifts depression. i know. i've been there. Best to All.

Everyone on here is an inspiration to me. My heavy head and elevator like and/or wobbling feeling started a week ago around Wed, Nov 19. Something peculiar happened that 2 days prior My old CRT tv is kinda going on the fritz but it still works, only it is a shade of orange or something now for its reception. I am thinking this affected my visionary nerves or something. It is now a week later and my symptoms are more pronounced. I am going to try to drink a lot of water and relax. Hopefully the simplest solution is the best. I pray this works after a little bit. If so, I will report back that this may be a solution for others who are suffering like I am.

All I can say is WOW. This is an incredible thread.
I'm a 37 year old male. One day while sitting on my couch playing Guitar Hero, I felt like someone punched me in the base of the back of my head. Since then, I've been battling nausea, dizziness, anxiety (including a few panic attacks), disorientation, irritable bowel-like symptoms, light migraines, unexplainable problems with my eyes - feeling like they're crossing or converging, pain and tightness in the muscles in the base of my head, and headaches. I feel like I'm losing my mind. Sometimes I feel like I'm having an out-of-body experience, or not "feeling real", if that makes sense.
It first started out with severe nausea that lasted several hours at times, at random. After this came dizzy spells, also sometimes lasting for hours. At some point the nausea symptoms almost completely went away but the dizziness persisted. Then for no apparent reason the dizziness stopped, but has been coming back slowly but surely. I also had a few intensely painful headaches that seemed like a point in my head was ready to explode. I've never had a migraine before in my life, but believe these episodes were probably migraines. One was so bad I almost went to the ER. I've also had bouts of diarrhea, bloating, or just the feeling of bloating or pressure in my abdomen without passing gas, or sometimes excessive gas. Sometimes I wouldn't have a bowel movement for a few days, to be followed by 2 or 3 in one day (both unusual for me). The headaches often seem to be in my temples, or in the front and top of my head. My panic attacks are awful, as I'm sure many of you can attest. The other night I had a slight panic attack, only to be followed by an irrational thought that I was losing my mind. I couldn't explain it to my girlfriend very well, and I'm sure she thought I WAS losing my mind. One constant thing during all of this (going on 6 or 7 months) is that I constantly, sometimes unconsciously, start deep massaging the muscles that run down the sides of my neck, and the muscles immediately below the edge of the back of my skull.
I've seen my regular doctor several times. Blood tests are all normal. Originally, he thought it may have been a viral infection because just prior (or during?) the onset of symptoms I was sick with bronchitis. He also thinks it may be stress related, but I don't think so. I think the panic attacks are stress related, because I'm always worrying about what's wrong with me. I'm sure many of you can relate. I've tried massage, chiropractor, eye doctor (new glasses provided no relief), and acupuncture. The doctor also said I had positional vertigo, which from what I understand is just a catch-all for someone with constant dizziness. Non-drowzy dramamine seems to help sometimes, sometimes not. He also had me do the Epley maneuver, which also helped sometimes.
Prior to all these symptoms, I quit my job as a police officer of 13 years and moved away from my home town of 29 years. I'm not worried about finances, although I haven't found another career yet. So yes, that's been a little stressful, but also very liberating and exciting.
Maybe it's something in the environment (old house that has been remodeled)?
I dunno. It's REALLY affecting my quality of life. I don't feel like going out and doing things as much as I used to. I'm not as active as I used to be. I fear being in unfamiliar surroundings. I'm starting to get very depressed and re-evaluate my life in terms of always feeling "bad." Nothing like this has ever happened to me. It's very frightening.
At any point, I've found this thread to be very comforting. All my hopes and thoughts go out to all of you that share my symptoms - some of which are worse than mine. I hope this goes away on its own. I haven't read all the pages of information here yet, but I am in the process of doing so.
Thanks everyone. - Tony

wow.... I have felt the same :-( I got the flu (full flu symptoms, fever etc.) back in mid-august, I had it for a few days. After that the dizziness never went away. At first I was nauseated and the "inner ear" virus seemed like a good fit. So I continued to work and just "live with it". Then I started getting really tired all the time,and the nausea went away after a month or so. Sitting up or anything for more then an hour (computer etc) and I have to lie down(as I get a piercing headache) I feel better lying down and the dizziness goes away.

I sleep 10-15 hours a day, and lie down 90% of my day. I have had a ton of blood work for mono etc, all normal. my white cell count is up however. i was sent for a Ct/Scan which did show an infarct in the left cerebral hemisphere, I was then sent for an MRI. I have an EEG and the results of the MRI this week.

My doctor has started monitoring my blood pressure. taken lying down it's good sitting it drops, and standing it drops even more. I have also gone to Pharma plus and done my own. I sit relax for 10 minutes then take it 3 times in a row. this is usually the results 119/80--110/76--92/76. (my mom did it 3 in a row after and hers was the same each time) If I try to grocery shop or anything when I get a headache, I sit take a blood test right away and it is 149/90?? So for this I have a cardiogram EKG etc scheduled on new years' eve.

As for the ctscan in 2001 I was taken to emergency with symptoms of Meningococcal septa-sema, or meningitis of the blood. I had a blood pressure of that of a dead person, the blood rash etc. The doctors had said that the infarct that showed up on the ctscan could of resulted from a mini-stroke I had in 2001(I was 21 at the time)
However my neurologist went through all my medical files and found that the bacteria was not grown in my blood or my spinal tap, so there was no certain diagnosis at that time either. She also told me at that time I suffered from endocarditis while I had my stay in icu in 2001. I have been sick at least twice a year since, but was told it was from allergies, and that my immune system just hadn't recovered since then.

So hear I am 29, I've been off work since September, and have no answers as to what is wrong. But I do feel comfort in reading this post and finding that others are also suffering with no answers. (misery loves company right?) I hope for all of us something is found soon. I will post any results I am given,
~Kristjanna

I am too going through the same thing....I am only 25 years old, and no kids. I have been having the same headake for about three months now. With it I feel very tired, I have the dizziness, my vision is a little off, I feel lightheaded very often, I have breast leakage, I feel sick to my stomach, and I don't sleep very well. I have been to my Dr. three times now. The first time he thought that it was something to do with my sinses. But I went back today and now he is finley sending me for a MRI. But my Dr. put me on a pain med. called tramadol it helps for the headakes. And the good thing about them is they are only 50mg tabs. I take 2 in the morning when I get up and 2 at night before bed. I feel so much better when taking them and it is the only thing that works for my head. I have tryed other stuff and nothing else works. So ask your Dr. if you can try that.

good luck

I'm a 29 year old male web programmer (8-12 hours per day on a computer). I've never had any major illness, have never had any dental fillings, and have had my wisdom teeth removed about 12 years ago.

I've had all the symptoms mentioned on this forum since about the time I hit puberty. They'd come and go and not always hit at the same time, but they're getting much more frequent. As with so many others here, I've been to tons of doctors and have had tons of tests, to no avail. I'm so mad at them because I KNOW they don't even care-- the last one I went to listened to me for no longer than 70 seconds then went and wrote a prescription. The doctors are worthless I tell you!!!

I went through a traumatic experience a few years back and was diagnosed with anxiety and depression after that. Since then, I've tried a couple different antidepressants for short times-- and they did help. Still, I can't help but feel that they're masking the problem. It's a chicken-and-egg situation: is my fatigue and vertigo causing the depression, or is the anxiety and depression causing the fatigue? From a medical standpoint I know it can happen either way.

Well, I just got off of Wellbutrin, which I was on for about a month to get me through a relapse of the original incident. While on it I got to where I was sleeping a more normal 7-8 hours a day, and now I'm back to 11-12 hours a day and still can't ever wake up all the way. I'm not depressed, though, so it has to be something physical that slowly makes me feel depressed. But then why do the antidepressants help some??? Aaargh it's an endless loop it seems!

I'm constantly doing hours of Internet research on all this, and am taking huge doses of B vitamins. I've tried tons of different vitamin combinations to date, and I haven't been able to tell a bit of difference with any of them yet-- these feelings just come and go as they please with no recognizable pattern! I feel like it's a struggle to breathe, sit up or walk, concentrate, I can't wake up all the way, I can't function or work properly, and I just want to collapse in a dark corner and sleep or die.

Anyone see the 'House' episode where the guy takes Dr. House hostage and just demands someone figure out what's wrong with him? Yeah, this feels that bad... (I was cheering the poor guy on the whole episode.)

There are 6 possible diagnoses that seem viable, but I can't narrow it down more yet: Adrenal Fatigue (most likely), Chiari 1 Malformation, Ankylosing Spondylitis, POTS, Heavy Metal Poisoning (least likely). If I could order the tests instead of paying a worthless doctor each time maybe I could afford to find out what's wrong with me.