When getting off the opiates, it was a usual thing to use methadon to reduce the intensity of withdrawal symptoms. I am sick of the symptoms which follow the opiate withdrawal my brother is experiencing and wish to help him overcome his weakness once and for all. Is there any other way to stop the pain of opiate withdrawal?

Some drug treatment programs have widely advertised treatments for opiate withdrawal called detox under anesthesia or rapid opiate detox. This involves anesthetizing the patient and injecting large doses of opiate-blocking drugs, with hopes that this will speed up the transition to normal opioid system function. There is no evidence that these programs actually reduce time spent suffering withdrawal.

I am in the process myself- heres my suggestion, however I am no expert just another victim of opiates.
1. If you have the luxury take a week off of work you will be very very tired and weak
2. put together a "kit" in it you will need an anti-diareal, L-tyrosine to help sleep, poppy seeds (for poppy seed tea) this will help you ween if you do it right, energy drinks such as red bull for energy this has been a life saver for me I have to work, a multi-vitamin because you WILL have the runs and dramamine for the sickness
3. Buy popcicles and icecream (youll see)
4. lots of water
5. a fan because you will get super hot the first few days and its soothing
6. epsom salt for hot baths to ease leg pain
7.cigarettes- i dunno why but it helps

good luck, it sux oh and another tip- and this may sound stupid to some but this happened to me and it really helped. If you can "catch a cold" at the same time - i dunno how- get around sick people or something- kids are great carriers; but the discomfort of the cold is a more familiar pain and is easier mentally to cope with than withdrawl and for me, like I said, for me it helped me get through and pass the time a little easier, and that is worth it.

I too have suffered withdrawals over the years and the thing that helped me was listening to the music I loved as a teenager. Warm showers also helps. Another thing--even though you will feel weak and don't want to do anything, complete all your chores like everything is normal. I mean like vacumming, cutting the grass and exercising. Keep telling yourself that this withdrawal won't last long. If you got a willing partner, have sex as much as possible! During withdrawal, you will be able to orgasim real quick if the wind blows the right way! That is no joke. All of the above things I mentioned, kinda rewards your brain's dopermine levels that is diminished from the lack of opiates. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Hi I had 3 major back sergurys and I have been taking abou 220mg of oxycotin a day and for some reason unknown to me I sweat excessivally whenever I move around ordo anything during the day and when I say sweat I mean I sweat allllooottt ..if anyone knows y I am sweating like this all day long please help me and tell me y and if you have a cure please tell me thank you very much...

I have been taking Percocet 10/325 since my surgery in May and I know what you mean about the sweating. I think my reason is that I have been abusing them. My tolerance has become so high that I can take up to 3 at a time 4 to 5 times a day. These pills have been running my life for the last 4 months and I am now out of them and have no way of getting a refill as I have abused them. So I am now starting the withdrawls and am going through HELL!! I have read some of the suggestions to help ease the symptoms and I will try some of them but I know it's going to be very hard, both mentally and physically. The sweating is the worse for me right now. I even sweat right out of the shower and it is so embarrassing to go anywhere because I am dripping sweat! I have no appetite and even if I do eat, everything goes right through me. I wish I would never have started taking these and guarantee that from here on out I will NOT be taking any kind of narcotic for pain relief. I would rather go through the pain with asprin than to ever go through something like this again. I didn't ask to become addicted, it just happened. Good luck to those of you withdrawing like I am and thanks to those of you who have left suggestions.

I am prescribed 20 mg of oxycontin 3x's per day as well as 10/500mg of hydrocodone for breakthru pain 3x's per day. I can not stand the way I feel lately. So depressed and no energy. At times I take more than I should and at times I take less then prescribed. I want to stop the oxycontin completely and wean off of the hydrocodone. My question is If I stop the oxycontin completely will I have withdrawals if I am still taking the hydrocodone or will the hydrocodone prevent withdrawal?
Thanks in advance for replies. I have read many of these posts and iI come out with the same general feelings and thoughts. We are all good people, just overcome with side affects of opiates. Everyone has bad days, and when you are prescribed a drug that is so addictive and it not only helps with pain but also helps get you through those bad, sad days, it is so easy to become addictied. Our bodies become dependant on them and there is just no way around it. I have felt like a loser or lost cause for so long now because of this dependance but after reading these posts, I realize that we are ALL good people, we all have bodies that become dependant on certain things, but still, good people and worth what ever it takes to begin living normal lives once again. Good luck to all, lets hang in there together.

Quote:

My question is If I stop the oxycontin completely will I have withdrawals if I am still taking the hydrocodone or will the hydrocodone prevent withdrawal?

The hydrocodone will prevent the withdrawals from the oxycontin. Withdrawals shouldn't start until you deprive your body of any opiates. When I am going through bad withdrawals from oxy, hydrocodone usually takes those w/drawals right away. It is only when I have no opiates at all that withdrawals kick in real bad.

The hydro will prevent the withdrawal based on how much you take relative to how much oxy you've been taking. But still, Withdrawal from the hydrocodone is still looming out there when and if you quit that opiate. One thing I've learned by going through this process is there is no easy way out. Opiate withdrawal is horrible and you can't take a pill (Suboxone, Methadone) to avoid it. When you detox of those two maitanence drugs, you will still have to fight withdrawal...and it's worse!! The half life of those two maintenance drugs is much longer therefore the WD's are longer. The best way is to taper down, but only if you are ready to quit!!! I can not emphasize that enough! If you aren't ready to quit, then you really won't taper and all sudden you will find yourself out of opiate. To taper properly you must experience discomfort while tapering...this will help to minimize the withdrawal when you quit for good. By the way, the "Thomas Recipe" didn't help me at all while I went through withdrawal. Bottom line is that pain is out there, waiting for you when you quit and you have to face it, but the good news is...it can be done. You will think to yourself that the WD's are never going to end, but gradually you notice symptoms weaking and your body changing and recovering. It's been the most horrible experience as well as the most rewarding experience I've ever endured. I thought I was a tough person, but I wilted during WD's!! Cussed out my wife, threw things, screamed out loud, but I made it.

i am addicted to opiates, and i just found out im pregnant! i obviously cant take the hydro s anymore and i don't know what to do to help with the withdrawal! what should i do?

Hi All,
Thanks for reading my post. I have decided to go off opiates all together because I keep runninig out before my next script is due and it very difficult to get more. I either goe into detox for a week or so or get some somewhere. Either way it its not pleasant. My problem is, I am still in pain from and accident that I had more that 6 years ago and no doc has been able to end my suffering. Each clinic that I go to can only get me to a certain point, offer me drugs, but then suddenly when you keep needing more because that is the nature or opioids they wash their hands of you and send you packing. They also do not give you any tools for dealing with your pain. They say, "just deal with it". I would like for just one hour of one day for any of my doctors to have felt the worst pain I have ever ever felt and see how fast they have someone write them a prescription!!!!!!! Thanks for listening. I think I have found a pain clinic that says they will treat the whole patient, body and mind-I am hoping this is true. Wish me luck!

The pain is going to be present, it sucks but its part of the process. I have noticed that mental state makes a big difference. If you are able to remember that it will be over and actually after a few days you will start to feel better. In a weird way I kinda enjoy the "feeling of waking up and repairing yourself." During the first few days you will feel miserable so this is very hard to do. That is why everyone says you really have to want to quit. Your perception and mind state do play some role in how you feel physically.

Certain things can help: Ibuprofen, Aleve, Asprin (some kind of OTC pain med), hot showers, some like alcohol and or marijuana. Benzos can relax the muscles (I do not trust myself with benzos though).

But the big thing is really just going to be time. You have to just try to power through those first 2 to 3 days of feeling like complete garbage.

Hello im an oxycontin addict... Ive recently found a good job in the oilfield in which i have to stay in a camp here for weeks at a time with no opiates... Im here to tell you that withdrawl is mind over matter yes it is painful when all you are doing is fiending and thinking about how bad it is.. If you keep busy and keep your mind on other things its not so bad. I feel all of your pain tho and good luck with your withdrawl and try and push through it because the sooner you do the better get out now! opiates are the devils work good luck.. I love you all

I have been addicted to opiates for about ten years(everything from eating hydros to shooting up morphine,oxy and anything else i could cook up). I have gone through being dopesick or withdraws about 100 times. A pill that will really work for you to stop being dopesick is tramadol. It will stop 90% of your pain the diarrhea, nausea and all that other good sh*t. Tramadol is not going to get you high and it is not going to make you stop being a junkie but it will keep you from having to lay it down for a week. It will make you be able to go to work and keep pretty much the same routine. I discovered it a couple of years ago when I was withdrawing. I was taking about 20 15mg percocets a day and lets just say my doctor got robbed and BAM.....no dope. I was about two days into it and would have drank shampoo if I thought it would help. A friend said he had some tramadol in his car so at lunch I went out there and he gave me about six of them and I took two...within an hour I was fine....I couldnt believe it. I dont think tramadol is a narcotic if it is it isnt very addictive. It will without a doubt knock out that sickness. So if you have been abusing opiates for over a week get ready for the most miserable ride of your life....my suggestion....go through it and dont look back. If it gets its claws in you...you can kiss everything that is good in your life goodbye. I don't care how tough you think you are or how "different" you think you are this stuff will beat you to your knees and keep you there forever if you let it.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your information. I am not the one that is going thru WD but I am the partner, the support person. I can't imagine what you guys are going thru because it is hell from my point too. My husband has been on Percocet and Oxycontin for the past 20 months and decided to go "Cold turkey" off it all. Bless his heart for being so strong to do it. This is a horrible drug. When they decide to put people on these drugs they should make dam sure that each person knows what really happens over time. The tolerance and then the addiction plus all the other sh*t that comes along with it. I wouldn't want to see anyone go thru this ever again.

I just would like to know how long the symptoms really last, mainly the insomnia? I know that you can get pills but then that is just substituting one addiction for another. Do the herbal supplements work at all and if so which ones are most effective? He is going into day 14 and if he has slept 1 hour at a time he would be lucky. This is making him miserable and angry. Any recommendations would be really helpful.

This site has been great for answering so many of my questions so I can help him thru. Thanks everyone for being so open and sharing your experiences with everyone.