Hi! My husband and I want to have a baby. But, after 6 moths I didn’t conceive. Am I infertile? Should I see a doctor? How is infertility determined?

Hi! If infertility is suspected you should have some tests. Also your husband should see a doctor. You should have a blood test to check hormone level, an endometrial biopsy to check the lining of the uterus and look for signs of ovulation. Two diagnostic tests that may be helpful in detecting pelvic adhesionsand tubal obstruction are hysterosalpingography and laparoscopy. You should discus about that with your gynecologist. Good lack!

Hi! I am seeing an infertility specialist and this is how he explained it to me. There are five causes:

1) Male issue of bad sperm either too slow or deformed this is ruled out by semen analysis.
2) Problems with cervical mucous either not enough due to cervical problems such as prior LEEPS or Cone Biopsy
3) Problems inside the uterus and tubes such as fibroids, adenomyosis, endometrial stripe not thick enough or scarring and adhesions in the tubes
4) Problems outside of the uterus such as endometriosis and chornic peritoneal inflammation caused by an overactive immune system
5) Problems with the autonomic nervous system which regulates blood flow and electrial signals. This can be caused by magnesium deficiency or genetic abnormalities which do not let you absorb enough folic acid causing blood clots and not getting enough blood supply to your uterus as well as hormonal issues that cause your ovulation to be off.

I have 4 out of the 5. My husbands sperms a just fine! I have adenomyosis, endometriosis, chronic inflammation, and I have had two LEEPS as well as my ovulation not happening until about day 19. I have been taking a special prenatals called Gesticare, a magnesium supplement, I had a lap and hysteroscopy to remove the endometriosis, I'm taking plaquenil for inflammation, and started on femara today. I will be doing injections starting this weekend.

The bottom line is you MUST see a specialist and I hope you have good insurance. I never knew I had so many issues and I would have been trying in vein if I didn't get all of these things corrected first, but now we feel we have at least a fighting chance especially since my husband is redeploying to Afghanistan in October for a year and I will be 37 1/2 when he gets home!

Keep the faith
dd