Hi

After years of extremely painful and heavy periods, discomfort during sex, and bowel issues and pain during bowel movements, I have finally been diagnosed with endometriosis. I am super glad to know what is going on, because my symptoms are no longer a mystery or written off as just normal, but my partner and I have also been talking about trying for a baby. Something like half of all women with endometriosis have trouble getting pregnant, so I really don't feel optimistic about this.

Are there any tips on how to get pregnant if you are diagnosed with endometriosis that actually work?

Thanks!

You might need a little help, but you CAN get pregnant with endometriosis!

As for how to get pregnant with endometriosis, I have endometriosis and I had surgery for it on two occasions, after which the chances of pregnancy go up. I was also on Clomid to conceive, and I fell pregnant within two cycles. That was it! Our daughter is 2 1/2 years old now and my huz and I have been talking about trying for the next. I'll go on Clomid again and hope it is as quick as it was last time. 

Good luck to you. Don't give up hope and just talk to your doctor about treatment. 

Hiya,

I'd think this all depends on how severe your endometriosis is... there are grades of severity, right? You may be able to get pregnant completely naturally... just think if 50% of women with endometriosis have trouble conceiving, that leaves the other 50% without any issues at all. What group you fall into, well, your GP or whatever doctor is overseeing your care would have to tell you that. The first thing to do, I guess, is to see if you're ovulating at all? You can get ovulation tests to work that one out. As for everything else, just ask your doctor, basically.

Everyone is different — some women with endometriosis require fertility treatment while many others do not. It could well be that you can get pregnant naturally without any problems. Mind you, I'd very strongly advise you to take the questions you asked here to the doctor that diagnosed you with endometriosis! Doctors generally say it is good to see a fertility specialist quite soon if you do have endometriosis, but you could also just start with a general preconception checkup that would allow you to ask the exact same questions about your chances of getting pregnant with endometriosis and any tips the doctor may have that you asked here. 

HTH

I am in the same boat in that my doctor has told me that it is "very probable" that I have endometriosis. Based on the symptoms, I agree with him, and I also have a referral to a gynecologist so I will know for sure soon enough. 

We differ in that my bf and I have been trying to conceive for 11 months now with no sign of pregnancy whatsoever, which is concerning. I know some women with endometriosis do get pregnant without difficulty but apparently, I am not one of them. I am very worried at this point to the point of depression sometimes. I hope your story works out better. 

I have endometriosis and I am currently 22 weeks pregnant with no complications, after a miscarriage. We got pregnant naturally without even really trying (just ditched birth control, no ovulation tests and the like), so that does happen. :) Endometriosis affects every woman differently and just because you have it, that doesn't necessarily mean you will need IVF or anything. If you do run into problems, there's laparoscopic surgery to make your chances of conceiving go up, but again, you may not even need that. One thing you might actually like to know if you don't already is that some women say their endo symptoms are completely gone after a pregnancy. 

First off, my information is that "only" a third of women with endometriosis will struggle to try to conceive. This is still a lot, but less than half. Even those who do have fertility issues usually have reduced fertility rather than complete infertility. It's more likely than not that you will be able to conceive one way or another. 

I've had surgery to remove it twice, myself, even with mild endometriosis. I have two children and had no issues conceiving. The surgery was for the pain and I was diagnosed after I had my kids. Keep in mind that a lot of the stories you will read are from women with severe endometriosis.

HTH

There's several different ways in which endometriosis can prevent a woman from getting pregnant:

- Endometrial growths may affect the ovaries themselves and prevent ovulation from occurring. 

- It is also possible that the endometrial growths block the ovaries/fallopian tubes so that even if ovulation does occur, the conditions for egg and sperm to meet are just not there. 

- Finally, it is also possible that the inflammatory processes involved in endometriosis make it hard for sperm to survive inside the female reproductive system. In other words, the sperm die before reaching their location. 

Surgery and ovulation inducing drugs like clomid can help. Sometimes, IVF is required. Your best bet is to meet with a fertility specialist ASAP.