Hi, I am 37 years old and I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago. I still have my ovaries and cervix. I have had a menstrual cycle every month since my hysterectomy and my doctor says that is normal. What's scaring me now is not only am I bleeding monthly, for the last 3 months my periods have gotten heavier and I am suffering from abdominal pain mainly on the left side where my ovary is. I have pain in that spot when I urinate which is what took me to the doctor in the first place when he discovered the tumor. I'm starting to have small blood clots and the bleeding is RED now instead of a reddish brown. (which is what is has been) Please help because I'm afraid that another tumor has grown and I will have to have another surgery. Can you have a hysterectomy twice?

HELLO, I'M GOING THRU THE SAME THING. I HAD A HYSTERECTOMY REMOVING ONLY MY UTERUS 3 MOS. AGO ALONG W/ ENDO BEING REMOVED. FOR THE LAST 3 MOS. I HAVE HAD A PERIOD W/ BLEEDING FOR ABOUT 3-4 DAYS. THIS PAST MTH. I HAVE BEEN BLEEDING FOR 2WKS, NOT REAL HEAVY, BUT ENOUGH TO WEAR A PAD. I WENT TO ANOTHER DR. AND SHE SAID I WILL NEED MY CERVIX REMOVED BECAUSE I SHOULD NOT BE BLEEDING. YOU REALLY NEED TO GET A SECOND OPINION. THIS SURGERY WILL BE A LOT MORE TO IT THAN MY OTHER.

you only had a partial hysterectomy..you still have some parts ie cervix..you may have to have the rest removed. :

I had a hysterectomy removing my uterus and my cervix when I was 23, but I still have both ovaries. I am 29 now and I have had no periods (bleeding) for 6 years. My gynecologist told me I wouldn't have any bleeding and I haven't. Maybe the cervix removal made the difference?

I am 23 yrs old also I had my uterus and cervix removed but kept my ovaries.I just had it done mar 30 2009 when my period was suppose to come I had bloating like normal period but no bleeding ..it hurts really bad recovering...is it normal to feel like u are on your period the bloating....

:O I am 41 and I just had my cervical stump removed. I had a hysterectomy a year ago leaving my cervix and 1 ovary. As it has been explained to me is endometrial cells had grown into my cervix. I never had regular periods until after 1st hysterectomy. I was then coming on cycle like clock work. I was treated in office several times with silver nitrate. This did not work. Each month was worse and worse. Well I am 3 weeks out of surgery from cervical stump removal. I was full of adhesions and scar tissue. My 30 minute surgery turned into 3 hours. I stayed in hospital 4 days and have had a much easier recovery this time. 1st Hysto was done abdominally, the removal of cervical stump was done vaginally

I'm 26 and had my uterus, fallopian tubes and 1 ovary removed. They said they left part of my cervix so they said theres a chance of me still bleeding and sure enough every month i bleed as if i still have a uterus. they said its normal so i think nothing of it. I always wondered though. %-)

Hello There,

I too had a hysterectomy 2 yrs ago removing most of my womb but had part of it left as it was stuck to my bladder (I still have my cervix and ovaries). Like all of you I was told that monthly bleeding would be unusual but I am now back to square one with monthly periods and bleeding in between.
I have just seen my consultant and am now going to have a second "hysterectomy" to remove the rest including my cervix.
Having been told these symtoms were rare then reading all your posts makes me think that it isnt rare at all and the risk of continued problems are actualy higher than what the docs think. It is also strange we all have the same pattern as well, I think the medical proffesionals are missing the link here.
To the lady who has been experiencing the brown old blood and has moved onto red bleeding dont worry the same is happening to me. I am back to clots and using tampons too.
Makes you wonder why they dont just remove it all the first time rather than making all of us go through hell a second time.

IM sooo glad I read this post. I had a hysterectomy 1 yr. ago. (one ovary and partial cervix left.)For a few months I noticed old blood and didnt think to much about it. But a few months ago I noticed vag. bleeding....I was at work and was very worried and called the after hours line. A nurse called me back and said it was not normal. I was worried but it stopped and after the weekend it was business as normal and between working, 5 kids and going back (again) to college....I just forgot about it. Just noticed the blood again and thought Id check online if anyone has had this problem. I just wonder if we still ovalate and have a cervix if its possible to conceive and it attach to the cervix? Sounds weird, but could it happen?

I had a hysterectomy in June and had only my uterus removed. I still have my cervix and both ovaries. I noticed that I am having a light bloody discharge every month as though I was having a period. I thought at first this was me over doing it after the surgery, but I notice that it comes right on schedule...

I thought I was done with this!!!!

I am 37 and had a hysterectomy 6yrs. ago left with one ovarie & cervix. I have been experiencing menstrual like symptoms every month as well. Just like clock work every month but Its usually not enough to wear a pad or tampon. I thought this was abnormal too but had several doctors tell me different things. Some have said it is normal and some have said it's not. %-) I was diagnosed with endometriosis and the pain was unbearable before the hysterectomy. With the spotting every month I still have some pain but in no way compared to before. I was told by one doctor that the spotting maybe from a little piece of endometriosis that was left behind, which they see when they examine me. I guess I'll have to deal with the spotting cause I really don't want to go through another surgery :-(

Well at least I don't feel like the odd man out anymore. I am 42 yrs old and had a hysterectomy a year and a half ago leaving my cervix and one ovary. The doctor said I would have a period for a few months and than it would stop, everything went according to plan until about 6 mo ago when i had my period again now it has become a regular monthly thing and the blood is red. I have had an ultrasound and they now say I have a cyst on the ovary I have left. I am at a loss they say its no big deal but Im not so sure. WORRIED!!!

OMG, I can't believe this c**p! Here I am feeling good that I would no longer have a monthly period until today. I had my hysterectomy 6 months ago, I removed my entire uterus but left in my ovaries and cervix. If I knew I would still get back my period I would have had the doctor remove every dam thing. This sucks!!!

Same thing for me as everyone else. Uterus was taken out in may and spotting started in september. Once a month I now am spotting. Dr cauterized the cervix four times now thinking it was vericose veins on the cervix. Now he is saying it is a mini period. I was never told that this could happen before and had my hysterectomy because uterine varicose veins were causing regular spotting. So basically I had it done for no reason at all. So shitty. This weeks spotting is the first time I am letting it play out to see how long it lasts. All the other times I had the cauterizing done.

I am 43 and had a hysterectomy 16 months ago - the surgeon left both ovaries, removed my cervix, and sewed up the top of the vaginal canal. I've had very light bleeding (mostly brown) like clockwork every month since then. I have been to several different doctors to have ultrasounds, exams, and pap smears done to try to get to the bottom of the bleeding, but nothing has been seen/found. I have a history of endometriosis, so I assumed that I must have endometrial cells on the vaginal wall, but nothing was found, even when I carefully scheduled an appointment at a time when a blood-filled cyst would likely be more easy to see. Does anyone know of any other reason I could have monthly bleeding from a vaginal cavity that's sewn shut at the top?