As we mentioned in previous articles during the last stage of the menstrual cycle normally a layer of endometriosis lining in the inside of the uterus is expelled, known as menstruation blood but instead some of the endometriosis tissues growing somewhere else in the body causing endometriosis. Endometriosis also reacts to hormonal signals of the monthly menstrual cycle by building up tissue, breaking it, and eliminating it through the menstrual period. In this article, we will discuss the endometrial biopsy.

I. Definition
In case of abnormal irregular and heavier vaginal bleeding, endometrial biopsy is the first diagnosis that your doctor will do. It is performed at the doctor office. Some tissues are removed from the lining of uterus for diagnosis in endometrial biopsy.

II. Procedure
At you lie on the exam table, your doctor will insert a straw like instrument through the opening of the cervix with gentle suction to collect some tissues from the lining of uterus. The collection then will sent to lab for diagnosis. You can leave the doctor office after the biopsy is completed in a few minutes. Normally, you will feel OK, but some women may few cramp during or after the procedure. Your doctor may prescribe a pain reliever for you to take home.
Your doctor may instruct you the following:
a) No sexual intercourse
b) No douching
c) No tampon
for one to 2 weeks

III. Risks
The endometrial biopsy is a very safe procedure, but with some risks
a) There are slight chance that uterus may be injured during biopsy.
b) Infection caused by bacteria in the uterus.
c) Some bleeding.
Since endometriosis is treatable and manageable by natural remedies and a self help course, if you have endometroisis, please look at the bright side.

I hope this information will help.You can read more of my articles about endometriosis at steady health article panel- women health.

Do not let a doctor perform this test without sterile conditions and heavy duty pain relievers. Bring someone with you to drive you home as you may feel very faint and sick. Also, this is an EXTREMELY PAINFUL test. EXTREMELY. They infected my endometrium... I still think the uterus was damaged too. I have been in pain since this test was performed 3 months ago despite antibiotics and surgery.

They lie, this test is brutal, so brutal I will never let them do this to me again. EVER.

I just had this test done today and it was absolutely horrible. I was in so much pain that I yelled out several times and my husband and others in the waiting room heard me. I was extremely embarrassed, but it was probably the worst pain I have felt in my life. She warned me before she did it that it would feel like the worst pinch in my life. It was more like someone reached up inside of me and was squeezing my insides. I am not feeling as much cramping now, but I did bleed a lot. I will never let them do this to me again either. It was absolutely horrible.

This is horrible test, I do  believe you should be put to sleep. I am just so scared feel like a walking disease

Wow! I'm sure glad I didn't read the posts above before I had my ENB done last month. I probably would have cancelled the procedure.

I took 4 Advil about an hour before the appoinment and will admit that it was momentarily uncomfortable but certainly not excruciating. It took less than a minute to collect the actual sample and that's with the doctor having to manually dilate my cervix at the beginning because the pipette (suction straw) would not fit through the cervical opening (most women don't need this done). Bottom line, take 3-4 Motrin, etc. and relax. It's not that bad. Really.

Thanks for the 4 Advils advice!!!!!! After reading the other post I was terrified myself. I have to have this procedure done next Monday. Your post has really calmed my nerves. Thanks and God Bless You!!!!!!!

That was pretty much the same experience I had. Not really painful, just uncomfortable.

For those of you gals that had such a horrible experience with this test perhaps you may consider changing doctors? I am scheduled to have my second one next month and as my instructions were several years ago, take 800mg of Motrin 1 hour prior to the procedure and you will be fine. If your doctor did not give you these instructions and you had the results you had, perhaps they are not skilled enough to properly do one. Yes it hurts when they insert the tool they use and do the biopsy but it is not unbearable and as several others said its fairly quick. Well worth going through a couple minutes of pain vs. refusing the test to later find out there are malignent cells.

A very nice information about endometrial biopsy

I agree! I had this done today and I will Never have it done again unless they give a local or put me under anesthesia!I don't understand as to why they don't give some kind of numbing Med.! I have had kidney stones before and can compare the two as being in the same horrific pain level. That was very inconsiderate of the Drs.that perform this procedure!

Do not listen to all the negative comments about the procedure, it's absolutely NOT true !!! Just came back from from one

done and it;s was a cake walk. The doctor did tell me to take some pain meds before and which I did and I had no problems.

But I will say just a little discomfort and pressure, but no where from some of the nightmare stories I heard..Just take a deep breath !!!!

OMG...Yesterday I also had a horribly painful experience, and they were unable to get through my cervix. I am still experiencing vaginal pain today! It is very raw and irritated and I've had a few strange cramps that have doubled me over. My friend had told me that she thought they would give drugs for this, yet they did not...and now I have to go back.

What you went through is the exception and not the rule. It's really cruel and insensitive of you to try and scare others by telling them about it. if some woman listens to you and doesn't do as their doctor instructs, and dies of cancer ... it's your fault! Rather than terrify women by what you went through, wouldn't it make more sense to go after a doctor that may have made a mistake in your case? OR, maybe there was no mistake and your just a bit more sensitive than others. Your comment and others like it, cause lives. Respectfully, think before you speak.