I am 22 years old. I was perscribed klonopin about 1 1/2 years ago. I started at taking 1 mg 3 times a day. I have bipolar and sever panic attacks. I have a problem now. I am taking up to 8-9 mgs daily. My doctors have told me I have to get off of them and go to a rehab but I will still need something for my panic attacks. Even when I take 8 mgs a day i still sometimes get panic attacks. I have no idea how the hell to get off of them or just try and go down to 3 mgs a day. If i go to treatment they will not perscribe me anything for panic attacks. Some one PLEASE HELP! PLease respond if anyone knows what iam going through.

Thanks

:-D Klonopin is a very good drug short term and it helps me alot with anxiety. I take about 2 mg a day. I would def not recommend going off it cold turkey I just had an episode where I took a lil more than prescribed due to anxiety, and I was without it for 3 days... which i supplemented with xanax from a previous prescription i obtained from my doc. The xanax kept me from going to the hospital but the withdraw for me is literally torture. They say it is worse than heroin to come off of, as well as any other drug. Benzodiazopines take the cake.

As for tapering off, I would do it very gradually. You have been taking an extremely high dosage so you must have truly some horrendous anxiety. I would recommend as you very gradually reduce your dose... see about getting on a longer acting benzodiazopine as a way to taper off. The bottom line is you can do it. Beleive in yourself, and beleive in God. Learn to become more in control of your emotions and try to get exercize and get your mind on positive things. I HIGHLY recommend you buy TONY ROBBINS "getting the edge" series. It is highly inspirational and you can gain much wisdom. Well good luck and I would enjoy hearing from others who are on klonopin or similiar benzodizaopines. You can pm me on yahoo messenger under the screen name mystical_shining_sea. Good Luck! :-) ;-)

Hang in there and see a doctor who cares. I have gone from 4 mg a day to 1.5 and will be going to 1.0 in two months thanks to a great psychiatrist. The old saying that if you walk 20 miles into the woods you have to walk 20 miles back out so relax and go with your doctor. If your doctor is not helping get another one. Prescription addiction is a huge problem in the US, and many doctors specialize in helping you get your life back