I’ve been suffering from anxiety which is now mainly manifesting as social anxiety for several years now, and even though I’ve been both on psychotherapy and medications, tried the relaxation techniques for anxiety and the problem is still here, if not worse.

The first anti-anxiety med I was prescribed was Valium 2mg, which now I know is the lowest dose there is and it worked for a while at least in a sense that I wasn’t anxious all the time, but the anxiety still was too much to handle in any social situation. So after that my doc prescribed me Xanax 0.5 mg which has very good but short effects and after three months of using it, I needed to double my pills for the same effect. So I’m wondering how does Klonopin compare to Valium and Xanax - will it maybe work better for social anxiety disorder?

Hello Lily,

compared to Valium and Xanax, Klonopin is definitely the strongest in the bunch, meaning you'd need much lower dose of Klonopin to reach the same effects as with the other two medications. On the other hand, both Valium and Xanax start acting faster, so they're more efficient when there needs to be quick reaction, like for example in panic attacks. Klonopin effects are longer lasting and you won't get any euphoric or similar sensations such as you could from Xanax, and it is far less prone to developing tolerance, again, unlike Xanax. You should discuss this with your doctor, there is no point in you taking xanax if you already need to double the dose.

I've been on Klonopin 0.5 mg 3 times a day together with an anti-depressant for treating generalized anxiety disorder and before I started Klonopin I was on 3 mg Xanax - I actually went through somewhat of withdrawal from such a large dose of Xanax.

So, as far as Klonopin and anxiety are concerned, now that things have settled in a bit, I can say that Klonopin definitely deals with anxiety better since it has you covered during the entire day and you don't have any major spikes in mood or anxiety levels.

All these drugs do is mask the problem. You need to get to the bottom of why you feel anxious while out in social situations? What makes u feel so nervous? I have had anxiety bad for the last year and the first 3 months of having it landed me in the ER. I tried all of those drugs and hated the feeling of being on them. I have now overcome my feelings of anxiety by forcing myself to be in situations that made me feel anxious. The more I forced myself the less and less I felt bad. Remember it's mind over matter and having panic attacks and anxiety will not kill you no matter how much you feel that it will. Once you realize this you will feel better. Try an all natural approach. Look into Valerian Root works great for anxiety. Also, Inositol in power form. Read the reviews on amazon Jarrows is a good brand. I used these both and helped better than any prescription. I also started to exercise eating healthy and got some good sleep nightly. Good luck.

I agree with you that these medications basically serve as crutches - I've been trying to get counseling prercisely for the reasons you describe, to figure out what is it that causes me to feel so scared in social situations when I'm generally pretty relaxed and open person, but only with the people I know well. And like I said, I already saw where Xanax was leading me: I needed the double dose in only few months after starting taking it, so the last thing I need is that I become an addict on top of all my other problems. I'll try insisting on counseling, but in the meantime i'll try Valerian root, too. Thanks for your replies, Lily

When I went to counseling all they wanted to do is place me on Zoloft and Kolonopin. No talking about issues or anything just push the drugs. I said ok, let me try they are the professionals and know about this. I lasted 2 weeks the stuff made me more nuts than I already felt. It also took me 2 weeks to get to the way I felt before taking them so i could not think how it would be getting off of them after 12 months or so? This is when I started researching things myself read a ton of material on the web and bought a few good self help books. Tried many different herbs until I found the 2 I mentioned that worked well for me. It's almost 12 months now and I feel great and can handle many situations now w/o anxiety or panic. It can be done just keep at it and you will be surprised it can be done w/o medications. Just think how empowered you will feel to overcome this w/o the assistance of those bad drugs messing with the chemistry of your brain. When this all started I thought I was fine for 45 years so I know this is just a bump in life I need to get over and I have. Start out slow, think, you are fine with people you know and that is great. When you're in a small crowd keep it easy breezy. Remember you don't need to say much be cool. Less is more in this situation you don't have to be the one to speak all the time. Pick and choose what you want to say and each time you will be more and more relaxed until it's no longer even a thought in your head.