Back at the end of September I went on a vacation with my boyfriend and I was due to start my period that Thursday. I looked online to read about the consequences of purposely skipping a period. I ended up trying it and started on my next pack of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo immediately after I finished the previous pack (didn’t take the placebos). My plan backfired and I ended up getting my period that Friday, but I had prolonged bleeding for about 2 weeks. After that, I had one normal period in October and then I was due next on November 17th. It came on time but I’ve had some spotting and prolonged bleeding ever since (not heavy-usually the first few days are heavy, but it seems like now every day is pretty light, only it extends beyond the normal week).

Is this normal after a person messes with their cycle? I was on the generic of regular Ortho for several years and then went off of it about a year and a half ago and didn’t have a period for 3 months, until I finally got back on the Ortho Lo. And I started birth control in the first place because of irregularity. I had a gynecology appointment back at the end of August and everything came back normal. Should I schedule another appointment, call and explain the situation to a doctor, just ride it out and hope my body normalizes soon? Are there possible causes of prolonged bleeding?