Hi. I am 24 years old girl. I suffer from bipolar disorder. I was prescribed with Lamictal. It was all fine, until I`ve found out I was pregnant. Can I continue taking Lamictal? Is it safe for my unborn baby?

Hi. There is no such thing as a safe drug, for unborn babies. I think Lamictal is not safe for your pregnancy. This drug is in the FDA pregnancy category C. This means doctors and medical experts don`t really know whether Lamictal will hurt your fetus. So, better stop taking Lamictal while pregnant. I guess you should discuss that with your doctor. Also, women who are breastfeeding shouldn`t take Lamictal. Lamictal passes into your milk and affect your baby. The effect of many drugs on unborn babies is unknown. However, better safe than sorry. I wouldn`t take Lamictal if I were pregnant.

Don't stop taking it without consulting your doctor. Lamictal is an anti seizure medicine also, meaning even if you have never had a seizure before, stopping the medicine may induce one. Your doctor can help best with this. While no drug is safe, my doctor told me she has many patients who took/take Lamictal and their babies are born just fine. However, breastfeeding is better not done with this medicine. A healthy mom is more important to the baby than getting breast milk. Sure, it's more nutricious, but finally a good Mommy is so important. Meds help with that. :D

lamictal for unborn babies may cause cleft lip, palate. or congenital heart issues. i am bipolar as well, found out i was pregnant a few days ago. out of the three meds i take for bipolar my doctor said to get off lamictal immediately. please consult your physician as well. good luck

I am onlyn 17 , pregnant , AND taking lamictal. ive taken depakote also, which is the main drug that causes birth defects. Sadly... i have to get an abortion because i don't have NEAR enough money to take care of a child with these dissabilities. its sad, but i have no choice. Yes , i am to blame. But i don't want to put my baby thru the pain for its entire life either. But my cousin was on the same medication, and kepra also. And that baby came out perfect and beautiful! But i would suggest you get off of it as fast as you can (first consulting your doctor ofcourse) I wish you luck :)

I'm on Lamictal - 300 mg a day - for Bipolar.  The risks of my mental state not on the medication greatly outweigh the risks while on the medication.  I've been told by both my psychiatrist and my OB/GYN and my maternal fetal specialist that of all the anticonvulsants - lamictal is the safest.  I am on 2 mg of folic acid (have been since before conception).  I've read the 8 out of 1000 babies born with cleft palette is actually more than the actual number.  I called and registered with the Massachusetts Registry board to contribute my information for further studies on this research to hopefully help out future moms in our situation.

Did you have any birth or health defects with your baby ?