Hi. I am 27 years old. I am an epileptic. I have always used oral contraceptives, but somehow it happened – I`m pregnant. I know epilepsy in pregnancy is no good. I`m concerned for my baby. I would like to hear more about epilepsy in pregnancy… Anybody? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Hi. I am pregnant and I suffer from epilepsy too. We are at higher risk for complications than healthy women. This means that during pregnancy seizures may occur more often. If you have a seizure you may fall and hurt yourself and your baby. The risks include bleeding, early birth, delays in development of your child and birth defects. However, some 90% of women with epilepsy have healthy babies. The risks are higher if you don`t take your meds, as recommended. My doc told me to take vitamin supplements to prevent birth defects. Healthy diet, exercising and enough sleep are things you can to do have a safe pregnancy.

chelsae wrote:

I had 2 pregnancys when i was 20 I got pregnant but i didnt stop to take my pills my baby is healty now she is 27 healthy and active. then igot pregnant again at 31 I didnt stop taking Dilantin pills 3 times a day my baby is healthy and very smart smarter than me so getting pregnant if you are epileptic is not a problem at all i assure you, take Prenantal vitamins dont smoke dont drink and eat right most oall eat plenty of fruits and vegetables just be very careful you wull be alright i assure you you will be alright epe;iptics can be pregnant without a problem,