Is Lexapro safe to take while pregnant, and what category is it?

Can taking Lexapro affect pregnancy test results? I am 10 days late on my period and I am feeling fatigue, head aches, emotional, etc.

Lexapro is an SSRI or selective seratonin reupake inhibitor. There has been no research to determine the affects of Lexapro in pregnant women, it may be safe and it may not. You should consult your physician on whether it is best for you to remain on Lexapro or cease taking it. If the benefits of taking the antidepressant out weigh the potential risks to the pregnancy then your doctor may recommend that you remain on Lexapro.

No, pregnancy tests look for a specific hormone that is nor mimic'd by Lexapro.

If you have any questions about ANYthing you take or did take during pregnancy you can call the Texas Teratogen Information Service center. They will be able to answer any questions you might have about anything affecting your pregnancy and developing baby. The number is 800-733-4727 its free and completley confidential.

They say it's safe during pregnancy - but for the record - i had 2 healthy pregnancies without it... this time, I was on lexapro early on, and lost the baby in the 13th week. Related? Who knows.... but it's the only event different this time around.

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

about 8 years ago i chose to stay on 10mg of Paxil while pregnant with my son. Thank Heavens he was born absolutely perfect. Back then they really didn't know the side effects of these drugs and pregnancy. Now, i would like to start planning for a second child and my Dr. is switching me from the Paxil to Lexapro. He said it is the safer of the 2 during pregnancy. i haven't heard this anywhere else. Does anyone else know if it is safer %-)

My doctor is very straight forward with me and I just talked to her about planning for a third child. She said that there are no studies because a pregnant women will not sign up to possibly have problems while taking medicine. She did tell me that I should wean off of the Lexapro and if I need it, We can switch to Welbutrin (sp?) She said it has more recorded information about it. Good luck on your hopes. Maybe talk to your docotr about the other options though.

do not take the lexapro while you are pregnant. i took it with my doctors knowledge and my son spent 1 month in icu with breathing and eating problems. it is not worth it

I have been taking lexapro since the beginning of my pregnancy and I am now currently 22 weeks along. I am taking 5mg a day. a person stated that she had her son in icu with breathing problems and eating problems... was she taking lexapro the whole time she was pregnant? How many milligrams per day?

I took it throughout my whole pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Like another said, if the benefits outweigh the risks... My pregnancy was perfect not a single complication (although some beautiful stretch marks :-D )

My doc just prescribed lexapro for me b/c I am having lots of issues. I am 20 weeks pregnant. I took it before I got pregnant and weaned off of it when I found out. Does anyone know if this is going to be ok for me to take?

I took Lexapro while pregnant, and my ob dr said it was fine. I ended up going into labor early,and my placenta was bruised very badly. My son, has had development delays, and now will be tested for spina bifida. The peds told me that this is a very dangerous drug to be taking while pregnant or breast feeding!!!!

FDA pregnancy category C. SSRI antidepressants may cause serious or life-threatening lung problems in newborn babies whose mothers take the medication during pregnancy.

i was on lamictal lexapro and buspar, i stopped them a week before i got pregnant with my 4th child. he was born with a severe case of cleft lip and cleft palate. i have heard some saying the lexapro cause the defect and some say not. I am planning to have another child and i am now on seroquel xr lexapro and xanax. any input from anyone?