Hello! I had been diagnosed for epilepsy 1o years ago, and at the moment I am on tegratol. My husband and I are planning to start a family, and I would like to know if this drug could harm my baby! Thank you!

Hi! Tegretol is listed in Pregnancy Category D. This means that there is some risk to the baby, but the benefits may outweigh the risk for some women. Usually, women who take this drug have healthy babies. It is more dangerous if a woman is taking more than one medicine, and if tegretol is taken in the first 3 months of pregnancy. A pregnant epileptic woman should take at least 0.4 mg of the vitamin called folic acid every day because it helps to prevent one type of birth defect. These defects are more common in the babies of women who take Tegretol during the first 4 to 6 weeks of pregnancy. Women with epilepsy who are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant should talk to their doctor about their seizure medicines

My ex wife was on tegratol and my child was born with a congenital brain defect because of it and has had 11 brain surgeries. get off the meds!

GET OFF THE MEDS IS RIGHT!!!!!! I HATE the AMA with a passion!!!!

Yeah, let's load up our kids with ko-ko puffs everymorning, then feed them RIDDLIN. :x :x :x

Hi All!
I am in Lagos, Nigeria. My wife started using tegratol in 1995 when she was 15 yo. In 2000 she stopped using it on daily basis, only when she is tired.
We married last December and since then she had two times seizers. I am worried because she is pregnant in the second month and doctor prescribed tegratol for her (200 mg) daily and saying it will not affect the pregnancy!!
We are really confused and for the time being we refused to take bills.
Please advice, should we take it or it is better to take tegratol only when it is necessary?

Regards,

Gamal

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

Thank you for this post.

I have been on tegratol since January after having brain surgery. I am getting married in one month and have been told that we can't try to start a family until I am off the medication, which won't start happening until December at the earliest when I have my follow up MRI.

We are keen to start a family ASAP and I have been wondering what the risks are if I did accidentally fall pregnant while I'm on the medication.

Hello-

I was dianosed with epliepsy 10 years ago, and am currently on my 5th medication becuase the previous 4 did not completely work. I am currently taking Lamictal and have been for almost four years wtih no problems. My neurologist says it is the best AED for pregnancy. Unlike most other AEDs, it is a class C (most of the others are class D) so it is a lot safer for you and baby, and you can still nurse while taking it. I hope this helps, and good luck!