A family member  (who lives in another state) and his girlfriend just had their first baby. The whole family knew she was on Subutex (same as Suboxone) and Xanax but hoped it wasn't that much for the sake of the baby.  Well, it's been 10 days and the precious baby is STILL in the hospital detoxing because the mom took 20 mg of Subutex a day but we don't know how much Xanax.  My husband called the state's DCF department and the doctor to report what all we knew just in case she hadnt told them during the pregnancy or birth.  Last we heard the baby was shaking and I can't stop crying over it! The Department of Children and Families have been on them like white on rice, thankfully, because now the baby is being treated for the withdrawls and the mother will be pee tested for the next few years! I am outraged over the number of mothers nowadays that put their own selfishness before their child's life! I literally dream about beating her up and I'm not a violent person. If anyone reading this is on ANY dangerous medication, PLEASE for the sake of another human being's future, stop or atleast wein down as low as possible while your pregnant.  It's only 8 or 9 months that's critical to it's health, you can do it. Think of someone else besides yourself just during this time that youre creating a LIFE. Tell your doctor right away and be honest about what your taking, they can help you.  

Opiates do not cause birth defects,  but they do result in babies being born physically dependent, and for that the baby must be treated and tapered at birth.    (However, xanax CAN cause birth defects).

I was a pain patient after a car accident. When I learned I was pregnant I shared ALL my concerns with the doctor. She said the opiates were safe as far as in utero development, and she did NOT advise I get off of them b/c my withdrawal would endanger the baby.  She said  if I wanted to get off them WHILE pregnant, there were dangers of miscarriage b/c my blood pressure would go up, and I could only go off them with medical supervision.

So your daughter in law would have endangered the baby by simply stopping the opiates.  But I could not imagine my baby being born and then going into withdrawal...so I went through detox with medical supervision while pregnant. I was highly motivated but it was no picnic. It was VERY HARD to do...if I had a critical mother in law, it would have been that much harder.

I don't know how much xanax your daughter in law was taking, but that would be the larger concern I'd have for the baby.  And instead of being so angry at her, which cannot possibly help YOU, OR HER, OR THE BABY, try to channel your energy into helping the baby.  But blaming the mother of the baby now,will make her more depressed and likely to use. Not to make you feel worse, but where was your son during the pregnancy?

Thanks Lauren for your accurate information and compassionate view towards this mother in law. Its concerning to have so much mis-information out there about the use of opiates during pregnancy. I work with drug using women and the standard of care, like you said, is to not decrease doseages of opiates while pregnancy. In fact, often its important to increase doseages in order to prevent withdrawal (which can cause miscarriage, early delivery, and many other problems). Also, Xanax is a drug that is taken for mental health struggles. Its important to consider the mom's well-being in order to consider the fetus / babies well-being. Being critical when someone is struggling to balance their well-being with social judgement and family judgement can be really difficult. Being supportive is incredibly important - especially considering the vast amount of inaccurate information and perception floating around.

Yeah that woman has no idea what she is talking about. Suboxone is designed to help you and if she was taking it as prescribed by a doctor then they all knew already! Sounds like this woman is seriously misinformed about this girls situation and has now made things MUCH worse for her by getting involved. If she was taking the meds without a doctors prescription, both meds, that is different and yes irresponsible. But if she was under a doctors care, like most of us who take suboxone are, then all the doctor's already knew.
Listen lady, be GLAD she had something like Subutex to take while pregnant, she could have just went ahead and used dope instead (heroin, stomped with every filler and poison imaginable) but she didn't she did what you are told to do when an addict and pregnant and she got on a maintenance program...
Just so you know, Subutex is the suboxone without the naltrexone, which is what they switch you to it when you're pregnant, usually

Suboxone and Subutex are not the same, although close. Subutex is less harmful to the fetus because it lacks the ingredient naloxone. Neither are ideal while pregnant. I was taking birth control pill, they failed and I ended up pregnant. I'm on 2mgs of suboxone and plan to switch to subutex. Hope your family member's baby is okay. i see this was posted 2 years ago.

Nakedwindow......You seem to be very judgemental and overly aggressive! After reading your post, i think it is so sad that you are putting this poor family member through all of this hell. She has obviously done the right thing by being on subutex instead of using other drugs that are more harmful to the fetus and mother. I have done my research on this topic, and subutex is a much more safe option to use during pregnancy that methadone or pain narcotics. The xanax is not a good drug to use during pregnancy, but after reading about you calling social services on this woman and her doctors, she prob. had to take it due to not freaking out on you and everyone else who is judging her and only making matters worse!!! I'm sure she is already full of shame and guilt, and who are you to judge her and belittle her the way you do.....SHAME ON YOU! I am not a mean person, but when i read post like yours, it makes me sick to my stomach! I suffer greatly from rheumatiod arthritis, deg. disc disease, fibromaylgia, and IBS. I have been on the subutex program for over a year, and it has been the best decision of my life! I have been drug free, and able to take care of my children the way i should. I am so tired of people making preg. mothers feel guilty about taking this medication during pregnancy. Would you rather her use herion, pills, or other noted harmful drugs????  I do feel for the baby that is in NAS, but the docs and nurses are well equipped to take care of such cases. If the baby was shaking so bad, it is prob. from the xanax. It was none of your business to snoop into this poor womans life and cause distress and anxiety during a time that should be a happy and carefree time in her life! Quit being so judgemental and cruel. All i can do is pray for this mother and her baby that social services understands her situation, and they back off of her along with you and your husband. You should have been the one to call on her since u are the one dreaming of beating her up! ;) You should be ashamed of yourself for what you have done! I strongly believe that what goes around comes around, so all i can say, is that i hope you don't get hurt one day, and end up getting medicine prescribed by a doc. legally, and end up (like 90% of people)....addicted! Then, maybe then, will you be sympathetic and understanding of her needs. Yes, i agree one on thing. 9 months is worth trying to be drug free and clean for your unborn baby, but docs say not to stop taking this medication due to miscarriage. Read some facts before acting like the saint you believe that you are!!!!!!!!! Hoping you don't get pregnant anytime soon and if you do, you have everyone on your butt the way you have done this poor girl. You deserve every thing you get! 

Listen I hear you and understand that it upsets you but before you say things like think of your baby before yourself how about know what you are talking about. If you stop taking the meds, you risk having a miscarriage. If you wean down as you say that is also very dangerous and puts the baby at risk for seizures. So I say again you may need to do some research and ask questions before you say things as narrow minded as you did. Its no joke and watching your baby withdrawal from medicine that you have to have is no fun and is the worse torture to a mother. I am sorry for your circumstances but at least the mother was responsible enough to at least take something not harmful to the baby. Yeah they withdrawal from the subutex but it doesn't actually hurt them and cause all kind of long term problems like pain meds and other illegal drugs

Thank you for your message. God bless you.