Hello there,

A friend of mine recommended this medication to me but I have no idea what it does or what it is used for, nor about its side effects, I don't have a clue. I thought I'd ask you people here, hopefully someone already used this medication and could maybe tell me more about it?

Well, I am suffering from anxiety and I have these pretty bad anxiety attacks. A friend of mine told me that he did a bit of a research and he found out that this medication called lamictal could help me, what do you guys think about this?

Lamictal is not used for treating anxiety, please do not try and use Lamictal. Lamictal is an anti-epileptic medication, also called an anticonvulsant. It is not used for treating anxiety, as I said, but actually lamictal is known to cause depression and anxiety and to create suicidal thoughts in the person who is using it.

If I were you, I would consult with your doctor in order to find the right medication for you because there are so many medications out there for treating anxiety and he can help you find the one that is going to benefit you the most.

Hi there. This medicine actually helped me, my depression and my anxiety as well, so I am satisfied with it. I was using Lamictal for 5 years I think. And I do know that doctors usually prescribe it for Bi-Polar people, but it has been prescribed for anxiety as well. I know that it works differently for people. For example, my friend was using it as well and she keeps telling me that she never saw any difference. Actually, it didn't helped her at all. I tried it but did not see any difference. But I really need to tell you that I am so glad because I am doing well and because this medication helped me. Of course, I would like to hear others experiences. Tnx a lot! God bless you.

That's weird, I never knew that people use lamictal in order to treat their anxiety. Anyway, I wouldn't really risk it, Guest. Lamictal has anxiety and depression as its side effects, like Gaia wrote above, so it can't really be used to treat these. I think that you should just talk to your doctor and start using whatever medication he prescribes for you, I honestly don't understand why you didn't do this already, you should have. There are plenty of medications out there made specifically for treating anxiety so please don't experiment with lamictal, just get the one usually used to treat anxiety.

I have heard that people do use lamictal lately to treat their depression, but I don't know anyone who had experience with it. So basically, I can't talk a lot about it. But it surprised me as well and I can see that here, on this topic there is that person who said that Lamictal helped her or him as well.

Anyway, I don't think that this is the proper medication for anxiety. I still do believe that this is the best medicine for bipolar disorder, and I think that it shouldn't be used in any other cases. Consult the doctor - again! 

I used to take Lamictal for my Bipolar I disorder. They say it's a mood stabilizer. It did not work for me. I didn't notice anything.

I have no idea why do people try treating their anxiety with lamictal, but it appears that there are a lot of people who are saying that lamictal really helped them, but I honestly think that it was just in their heads so that it was actually the placebo effect which helped these people.

Bipolar disorder is hard, a lot worse than anxiety. Since this medication didn't help you, did you try another one? What did you do in order to fight your disorder, did you manage to win the battle? I really hope you did and that you are doing okay now.

Hey there missy2122. I have also heard that lamictal is used for those who have problems bipolar disorder. I was really surprised when I have heard that some people are using lamictal for anxiety treatment. That is really weird for me because I didn't know that it can be prescribed for it. I was trying to tell this to my good friend, but she was refusing to hear me. So I was talking to my good friend who is a doctor and he confirmed me that there are so many people who find this medicine best remedy for their anxiety. To be honest to you, I still can't believe this.

Hi.

Listen to me - do not use Lamictal to treat anxiety attacks. That is silly. I have small experience with Lamictal when one doctor prescribed it for me to treat my anxiety attacks, and I can tell you that I really felt worse than ever!

I don't know why certain doctors prescribe it for anxiety because this medicine is not used to treat anxiety attacks. Like others told you, it is usually used to treat bipolar disorders and it should stay that way.

There are so many other ways and medicines that can help you treat your anxiety.

Trust me, Lamictal is not one of those medicines!