I have been diagnosed with BipolarII......and I feel as if the Marijuana seemed to help my symptoms.......but now since the meds...could it actually be making me feel worse? Thanks so much

I too have been self-medicating with cannabis for bipolar type two. I started Lamictal six days ago, supplementing with 3x daily 0.5mg Klonopin and 1mg Ativan PRN. I have had drastic changes in mood. I find myself wanting to sink into a ball and do nothing, strange vivid dreams occur when I sleep, and I am more depressed than I ever have been. I believe t has nothing to do with the benzos, as I have been on Xanax, Klonopin, and Restoril in the past with no ill effect. But today I had my first mania in 3 months. Coincidence?

I smoke 4-5 times per week, but was clean today. I am hoping Lamictal works, but so far, I find its effects to be unpredictable at best, and downright incapacitating at worst.

This could be an excellent drug for some people; I am still trying to see if it is right for me. My own anecdotal evidence seems to point to cannabis having a neutral effect with regards to Lamictal. But maybe it's time to f**k the pharms and light up a fatty. Hell, that works fine.

i smoke cannabis and i take lamictal. can any one find a link or another forum about this subject or shead some light on it for me please. i have done for 3 years and it seems to be working ok with lamictal but will it be better for me and my body to smoke or not smoke the wacky backy thanks

I have BipolarI disorder. i have been on Lamictal for a little while,and found that smoking a couple bong loads while the Lamictal was active, just increased my high.

Yeah,

Bipolar and nothing seems to work. I mean it does help a bit from falling back to the dark side but I still get my manic episodes quite often. Meds help from "REALLY" hurting myself or others. (Lamictal, Klonopin, Lithium, Cymbalta, Restoril, and occasionally weed)

But my main issue is not being able to sleep. You'd think that with that large cocktail something would work but I just can't sleep.

For whoever else is concerned about experimenting with weed while on meds, I wouldn't be too concerned. Hey it hasn't killed me yet.

But remember everyone has a different tolerance so be cautious.
Apparently it isn't easy to live that well.

ive been smoking mj for 15yrs, had excellent memory till i started taking anitdepressants, when i had major anxiety and panic i smoked like 2 at nite b4 bed, now since im feeling better im back to my reg smoking habit10 js a day, i dont smoke to get high...i dont get high nemore, i really enjoy the flavor of it..im on effexor and 50mg of lamictal and upping to 100mg soon.

I was diagnosed with Bipolar in 1994 and have been on Zoloft and Carbatrol for 14 yrs. Yes, my short term memory is shot, but I would rather deal with a bunch of sticky notes than being suicidal. Anyway, my daughter was diagnosed with Bipolar in 2005 and is on Lamictal. She has never really taken it faithfully but now has come to terms with the fact that she must have it. My oldest son will be 22 in July. Over the years, since he was about 13, I noticed an increasingly amount of periods of anger and rage occuring and over the last 3 yrs it has been alot worse. I learned that he had been self medicating with cannabis. After totally loosing it a breaking his hand he agreed to see a Dr. He was diagnosed with a "Mood Disorder" and has been on Lamictal for 4 weeks now. He is a big buff guy and soon to be on 100mg/day. My daughter is 95# and on 500mg/day. I don't see the Lamictal really making a difference for my son and he has gone back to smoking pot while being on the medication. (he hadn't smoked for over 10wks). I am an RN and I know my anatomy and physiology but I'm not a pharmacist. I really don't think that mixing the 2 is a good idea, but I need to know if it is truely harmful to him. Can anyone tell me? I love my children, they are my everything and I want them healthy and safe.
Thank you.

I'm 19 and i've been taking lamictal( bi-polar) and cymbalta(anti-depressant) about 3 years. I recently quit taking cymbalta and when i smoke marijuana i have withdrawals, it's like my brain is sneezing. Does this happen to other people?!?!

lamictal, lorazepam, cymbalta, weed I'm still alive but barely thinking. My brain feels like its in a cloud of smoke and it won't go away.

In my experience with Bipolar (II) anti-depressants always put me in a mostly manic mixed state and benzos have always killed my memory and end with me being darkly depressed if I took them daily. I was on 900mg/day of Trileptal, but am now reducing it with the intent to go off of it (makes me depressed) as I start with Lamictal (25mg right now, using a sample kit to go up to 100mg). I still smoke weed, though not as much. It really breaks the cycle of negative thinking that can take over my mind. It does give me muscle twitches and sometimes a pounding heart depending on levels of anxiety; also makes residual visuals from psychedelics I've done in the past ramp up their intensity. For me it helps really when I smoke alone; smoking around lots of people (unless I know them really well) just tends to make me more anxious and is a waste of weed.

I've been on lamictal for a month and a half now, and every time I smoke pot i get a really fast heartrate (over 100bpm) and start freaking out. When this fades, usually about 4 hours later im fine. Has anyone else had this effect?

I've smoked pretty much every day for 14 years and was just diagnosed with bipolar ii and realized I've been self-medicating with the pot. I tried abilify and it made me angry& unfocused, so I just started lamictal yesterday. I feel like it is helping already, and I am hopeful that I'll be able to cut down on the pot.

I'm very interested in what the experience has been of other people with bipolar ii who are/were addicted to marijuana.

I am Bipolar 1 and on 400mg of Lamictal. I smoke pot everyday and have never experienced ANY side effects from. Lucky me.

From my experience and research..the so-called brain sneezing is most likely the withdrawal symptom from the Cymbalta. I'm now on 100mg Lamictal, Klonopin as needed and have been off of Lexapro (anti-d) for almost a week. The withdrawals from anti-d's differ but for me I get the brain weirdness...hard to even explain, I'm extremely dizzy vertigo style and my moods have been cycling at like 15 min. intervals, especially in the evening.

I was a heavy smoker for years but stopped using every day about 4 years ago. I was curious to see if it would help me cope with the medication transition and so far it's been awesome....I just don't smoke anything too strong or that can make me sleepy (unless you can't sleep but I use Melatonin for that [natural supplement]); and I only take small hits once or twice a day. My doc said it was actually ok as long as I didn't increase my usage and in return not to be able to tell if the Lamictal is effective or not. Hope this helps.

what up ye children .back in high school i fell out of a truck bed(4th of july shooting bottle rockets). and had a very large impact to the left side of my dome peice which caused a collection of blood in my cranium for about 8 hours. no surgury required the pressure reached a point to where the blood was forced out of the crack in my head and therefore i had a large blood blister surrounding the top of my left ear...... after a month of a bed riddin' perc haze i was tired of not having any equilibrium stability so i learned how to center myself sitting then standing then eating even taking a piss. sh*t i tought myself basiclly motor functions and i've been blazin' for 6.5 years now :-D ive never needed any other meds the buds (really dank) where all i needed and well my situation is now after 5.5 years of incresed stress, watching the whole world tear its self apart,watching good friends ruin their lives with drugs, recently very old best friend overdose on hard sh*t, experiencing sh*t in the face day after day............ just some sh*t. but now after every one i love has seen a very negitive side of me so i went and got evaled by like 4 seperate vetrens in neroligy and phyc. ive been diignosed with biporlar 1 %-) and well tramidol is the med i got so is this gonna make some more problems for me? but certinally have hade a few epleptic episodes in past watching TV completely sober. nothing severe enough but sh*t i dont know NO INSECURENCE! well just livving another day in the best state COLORADO! smoke, snowboard, fine woman why are things so shitty in my mind .