About a week ago I was diagnosed with a condition called leaky gut syndrome (LGS). It all started with my post - meal cramping and feeling gassy. Often appearance of diarrhoea, headaches and loss of concentration were, as it later turned out, to be attributed to LGS too. My doctor will run some more tests in order to determine the best therapy. Tell me something about LGS.

The symptoms you listed, together with very common swelling of the face when a person is exposed to strong smells, clearly indicate LGS. This means that the molecules of food, toxins or micro - organisms can travel directly into your blood because your gut wall is too porous. They initiate the formation of immune complexes, which is a great attack on your liver - it has to work much harder on detoxification process, and often those molecules end up accumulated in the liver. This condition then leads to numerous immune - related disorders (eczema, fibromyalgia, chronic urticaria etc.). The most common cause of LGS is the inflammation of the lining of the gut while the usual causes of inflammation can be found in taking too much caffeine, alcohol or refined carbohydrates. Certain food dyes and preservatives are among causes too, together with food contaminated by certain parasites and bacteria. Your doctor will advise you to combine the pills with a specific diet (it will probably include vegetable juices, e.g. cabbage juice, unrefined sea salt, fiber found in raw vegetables, fruits and sweet corn, and you will have to stay away from meat and pickled food.