A film by Kenny Ortega

Newsies is a musical set in 1899 New York City. There was no home delivery of the newspaper. Newspapers were sold by newsies: kids selling the papers on the street. It is up to them to make people want to buy the paper and read about the news. As Jack Kelly (Christian Bale) says several times during the movie, headlines don t sell papes, newsies sell papes . Feeling the pinch of competition, newspaper publisher Joseph Pulitzer (Robert Duvall) decides to make a change to the price of the newspaper but not the price that the customer pays. Pulitzer charges the newsie more to buy a stack of papers to sell, so Pulitzer makes more money but the newsies have to sell that many more papers to make the same amount of money as before. Instead of simply giving into Pulitzer, the newsies strike.

That is the simple version of the story. It is told with song and dance numbers and while I have typically not been a big fan of the musical, I loved this movie. The songs were high energy and very catchy. The accents the characters used were a little silly, but it felt appropriate. The cast is mostly children (with Bale being the eldest and the leader of the newsies), but there are adults, though they do not have as much to do in the film as the kids. Ann-Margaret and Bill Pullman co-star. I would recommend this movie to anyone, even if they do not normally like musicals. It is cute, it is light-hearted, it is fun, and it is a good movie.

You're right, the songs are catchy and the dance number will hold your interest. It's one of the better musicals in the collection we have at home.
That being said, I can't make it more than 45 minutes into this movie before I fall asleep. I think the movie is cursed because I've sat through movies that were more boring and managed to stay awake.

Maybe it is the tape/DVD. You might need an exorcism.
The fiancee is a big fan of musicals and my experience in that genre is rather lacking, so you'll be seeing more musical reviews in the coming weeks. She grabbed several of her DVDs off the shelf, placed them on my DVD player, and said "you have to watch these". I'm being put through Musical School now.

Have you seen Bye-Bye Birdie? Ann-Margaret stars in that one. Tons of good songs in that one.

When i was in 4th or 5th grade, my elementary school did a production of it. Other than that, no, i haven't. I'll have to add it to my netflix