Hey everyone,

I know that there are songs which make you calm, make you go crazy, make you emotional and I don't know what. I know that cats like classical music, for example. But I am wondering is there any kind of music which could help someone suffering from depression? I don't know in which way, but just help them fight it? If not an entire kind of music, if not an entire genre, are there any special songs, with meaningful lyrics or something which could help them fight this? I am really curious about it, I hope that someone knows the answer.

Hey Deni,

If you search for it online, you are going to find bunch of songs that are said to make depressed people feel better. If you are not going to search for it online, I guess I can tell you a couple of songs which could help.

Most of the songs that are supposed to make you feel better are pop songs, and these songs include Warrior by Demi Lovato, What Doesn’t Kill You by Kelly Clarkson, Human by Christina Perri, Get It Right by Glee Cast and many others.

However, my personal opinion is that I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor is the best one out there.

I've heard that classical music is a good antidepressant.

I wouldn't dare to go with pop music. I don't know, that just doesn't sound right to me. I bet there are pop songs that can really help, I don't doubt that, but the entire genre - no way.

I've also heard about the song I will survive - it is said that this song helped a lot of people fight their emotional and physical problems and it is said that it has saved a lot of people from committing a suicide. I don't know if you believe in this, but I have to admit that I do.

I honestly thought so as well, that everyone has their own taste in music so that basically everyone needs another type of music to help them, but again I thought that there have to be some songs which have a strong effect on everyone fighting against depression, because of their lyrics, or their rhythm, you know.

I don't know because I listen to a lot of stuff which completely differ from each other and therefore I don't really know what would help me if I was suffering from depression. I am just curious to know more about this matter, you know.

I don't know about music tastes and stuff, but I like listening to Ben Howard (his girlfriend committed suicide and you can somehow feel how sad and down he is because of this in his songs) and Daughter. I just love listening to Daughter, I have no idea how would I survive with my depression if it wasn't for Ben Howard and Daughter. Some days I just feel that these are the only things that are keeping me alive. I am talking about my bad days, of course, I always have a few good days when I am all happy and stuff.

I just love music and music can help you definitely to fight with the depression. It can help you heal it, but it is a good thing to let some music when you are depressed. It helped me a several times to feel better.

Well, music that I listen when I am depressed is Celine Dion. It maybe sounds silly or funny to you, but this lady has so powerful voice that relaxes me a lot.

Generally, I believe that ballad songs are really good to deal with any kind of depression because it can help you feel relaxed a lot. 

It is unbelievable but when my friend told me that electronic music can help me feel relaxed, I didn't believe at this. But when I started to listen to electronic music while I am having some crises and when I am depressed I find myself much better. I don't know why, but when I listen to ballad songs, I have this feeling that I am even more depressed than before. But electronic music makes me "high" and at one moment I totally forget that I am depressed. So, you really should try with this type of music and let me know how do you feel. Enjoy!

Electronic music? I just can't believe in that lol. It seems so unreal for me that something that has so hard sound can help you overcome your depression.

I don't know, but ballad songs make me feel really good, maybe because I start to cry and I just get out all this out of me. 

I think that someone wrote that you should seek for online songs, because you will find a lot of songs that can help you overcome your depression.

But you should have on your mind that we are different, and maybe ballads won't be good for someone, while someone will just enjoy in those ballads. 

Look guys, motivation songs are the best songs for this condition. When you are depressed, there is nothing better than songs that are telling you that you need to fight for something, that you are not alone. So, my advice is to seek for some songs that give you courage to be strong and to fight for yourself. Even Eminem has amazing songs that can help you deal with your depression, I am sure at this.
Anyway, if you don't know what you should listen at the beginning, you should try with Katy Parry - Rise or with Mariah Carey - Hero. I am sure that you will love those two songs.

Look, there is no doubt that motivational, "fight" songs are really good for depression. Personally, I don't like Eminem and when I see him on the television, he makes me even more depressed. So, I don't believe that his songs are the proper choice for condition like this. 

Whitney Houston's song "When you believe" can really be good and it can rise you up when you are depressed. When I broke up with my boyfriend, I was listing to this song whole day. 

And  - The Beatles - Let it be should be also your choice. It is so good! 

I remember when I experienced overwhelming depression from about late November to mid-January. I was at the point in depression where my body was similar to a prison cell and simple pleasures had become mere routine. I could no longer enjoy even the most exciting activities. It was as if I had sunk down into an isolated void of oblivion and emptiness, while my loved ones remained on the bright, merry end, awaiting my arrival. I would dread every day, aware that I would be occupied with assignments and not have the much desired time to spend talking with someone who would understand how to assist me. I would feel greatly fatigued and broken. The only place I had any interest in staying was my bed in which I longed to have the sheets and pillows swallow me alive. I would go from one of my parents' houses to the other and hear the ringing of my siblings' irascibility resound in my ears and mind. My parents would also join in their arguments, at times. In my bedroom mirror, I would stare at a corpulent, hideous reflection that others would tell me was nonexistent. Day after day was filled to the brim with assignments, fatigue, horrible body image, fear of failure, misunderstanding, anger among family, self-doubt, and emptiness. I thought that perhaps this kind of world was not meant for people similar to me. The only thing that kept me alive was my hope for newfound joy. There were two songs, two songs that brought me comfort in this devastation. These songs were " You'll Never Walk Alone" and " You Raise Me Up", both performed by my favorite vocalist, Josh Groban. These songs, to me, were far beyond simple melodies. They were reassurances that inspired me to battle through my seemingly endless hours of misery with courage. In January, my depression fully dissipated. After this had occurred, I knew that I have the potential to do anything. At times, when I reflect on how I overcame my depression, these melodies resound in my mind and I feel great significance I was once incapable of knowing. These songs made me feel important and even helped me to realize how loved I truly am.