Hi, folks. I called my friend yesterday to see what he was doing and he told me that he was diagnosed with polymyositis. I know that he hasn’t been complaining on anything. I didn’t want to ask him questions, but I would like to know what the symptoms are of this disorder. I would appreciate if someone could tell me this.

Hi to you too. Polymyositis is an autoimmune disease. Immune cells attack muscle fibres. The onset of the disease can be rapid or slow. The first symptom is usually muscle weakness. In the beginning, it affects the muscles that are closest to the trunk. A patient has a difficulty to stand up from the chair, lifting something above the shoulders or climbing up the stairs. Patients in general feel fatigue. If there is a skin rash associated with polymyositis, then we refer to it as dermatomyositis. I hope this helps. Bye!

Thanks for replying to my post. I think that my friend will go for further testing for diagnosing it. He is mentioning some blood test and EMG. I think that he has also mentioned biopsy. I hope I understood him well. If all these tests are necessary, I think this disease is serious. Thank you in advance.