Hi, guys. My friend has been experiencing some muscle weakness lately. I think that he also has some skin rash. Doctors are considering diagnoses like polymyositis and dermatomyoisitis. I would like to know what the difference is. Is it true that the presence of skin rush is the only criterion for the difference between these two entities? I would appreciate if someone can provide me more info. All I know that these are autoimmune diseases. It means that immune system attacks cells of its own body.

Hello to you too. You are absolutely right. If polymyositis is associated with skin rash, then we talk about dermatomyositis. This is a form of autoimmune disease. Immune cells attack muscle fibres. As a result, these patients experience muscle weakness. Walking is one of the actions that are affected. Treatment is necessary. I recommend you talking to an expert. You will find out more details.