Hello, folks. My mother has been suffering from scleroderma for years. It is the connective tissue disease where there is overproduction of collagen. It is a form of autoimmune disease. Lately he has been experiencing something that doctors describe like polymyositis. Could this be happening? I would really appreciate your replies.

Hi, there. Scleroderma is a serious disease. As you have already told, it is caused by overproduction of collagen. Collagen is the main compound of connective tissue. This is all trigged by autoimmune process. That is why you shouldn’t be surprised with polymyositis. It is also an autoimmune disease of muscle tissue. Scleroderma can overlap with other autoimmune diseases. Beside polymyositis, it is also marked that it can be associated with lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. You should consult your mother’s rheumatologist.

Thank you for answering to my post. I was intending to ask my mother specialist for more details. However, I would like to have some basics before asking anything. I hope that medications that she will get will help her in controlling the disease. I know that polymyositis cannot be cured, as well as scleroderma.