I have been prescribed predisone for Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Colitis. I have been taking predisone for approximately five years. The side effects I have noticed are joint pain, and recently my legs are aching and swelling a lot. The doctor has recently prescribed a diuretic for the water retention. If I stop using the predisone, then the colitis symptoms return. So I have chosen to live with the joint pain and swelling. Much less painful and debilitating than the colitis.

Hi:
I am sorry about your pain. I just wanted to advise you to educate yourself about the long-term effects (the permanent ones), related to the long-term use of steroids. If you "live" with the swelling, etc., what are the long term effects of being in that condition? Find out what all of your options are. Find out if there are options other than the steriods. Take care and I hope that you will find additional answers that may be better for you. Take care and let us know how you are doing.