My good friend has been diagnosed with breast cancer and is due to undergo radiotherapy soon. I know that people with radiotherapy treatment are often nauseated and fatigued, and frankly the whole concept of radiotherapy is scary and daunting for me. Would anyone educate me? Can you describe what happens during radiotherapy and how the patient feels afterwards? What are the side effects, and what are the dangers?

My mother who had the same cancer I did, which is breast cancer and cancer in the lymph nodes, even without the BRCA1 or 2 gene in either of us, chose to get radiation only (versus chemo and radiation). I chose 10 years ago to only eat better and to eventually take DCA instead. My mother's body was bright red for the rest of her life, like a beat, even though there was no pain from her ugly burnt chest. She eventually died from angiosarcoma (from too much radiation) instead of the breast cancer, although she did live 20 years or so before the cancer went to her other breast and then about 20 more after that. I don't know how my cancer is doing because I don't want such things as CT/PET scans especially (deadly) and/or chemo or radiation. All I can say is that with the DCA my prolactin from the pituitary tumour is now lower than ever. My cancer started just over 10 years ago and I refused treatment for one year before finally agreeing to a segmental mastectomy. Like my mother, I found out only after the operation that it also had lobular features, meaning it could spread to the other side. As you can see by that statement, biopsies don't tell you much, so they seem like a waste of time and unnecessary pain to me. They only find out all of the details after they have done the surgery. I have been OK for 10 years going on 11 except for occasional swelling in the under arm area and some low blood platelets, but since I knew so many people who lived no longer than I have despite chemo and radiation, I don't feel I made a mistake. My thinking tells me that a patient who receives chemo when his system is already very sick, might be made more sick by it because while it kills the bad cells it also kills the good, and such people may never be able to build up the good again, so maybe this should only be reserved for young and strong patients. It's my own personal belief that cancer is a sugar disease, much like diabetes, and if people change their diets to mostly greens and cut down their sugar dramatically, and/or maybe even try out DCA, who knows where they may end up? Hopefully better but for now I consider myself just a clinical case who has simply chosen to experiment with this. 10 years so far isn't bad, especially since I'm a senior.