My problem is rheumatoid arthritis. I have been dealing with it for almost two years and even though medications I used had a positive effect, I have to admit that this condition made my life e a lot worse than it was before. Now, I have been thinking of changing the therapy. I am currently using enbrel but I think of switching to methotrexate. Do you know anything about side effects of taking enbrel and methotrexate?

It seems that enbrel is doing just fine for you. You did not mention that you are feeling any side effects from this drug, so I do not see any reason why you should switch to some other drug. Unless enbrel is not dealing that well with arthritis. In that case, I think that you should talk to your doctor before changing the medicament. As for side effects, those include chest pain, nausea, headaches, breathing problems etc. Good thing is that you did not experience any of it.

My wife was up to a month ago prescribe Enbrel injection twice weekly supplimented by 2 methetrexate tablets 1 x twice weekly. At christmas the doctor had to take her off Meth, due we think to bad side effects. Headaches, vomiting, nauses, stomach pains, tiredness, sleepy. Waiting to find out what the specialist says. Anyone experianced these symtons

I have been taking methotrexate, 6 pills a week since August 2007. I have had fatigue problems and I take them on Sunday. Monday and Tuesday I am a little nauseated but the most noticeable side effect for me is that I lose my appetite. My doctor tried to get me approved for Orencia but the insurance company denied me. Now he is pushing me to take Enbrel, but everything I have read about it is scary.

hey Guest,

I useto take methotrexate and it was awful. I would get symptoms of nausea and fatigue as well as dehydration. I took it on weekends so I could function in my college classes during the week, but then my weekends were ruined, not to mention not being able to drink alcohol. Anyway, I came off that and began enbrel close to two years ago, and it's been treating me well. My rheumatoid arthritis is under the most control it's been under since being diagnosed when I was 4 (I'm 23 now). However, it's undeterminable what effects it will have on me in the future, but I guess that's just the risk I'm taking so that I can walk and not be in severe pain.

I'm 27 and I've had RA for 2 1/2 years. I find the best therapy is enbrel and methotrexate. I would suggest to get methotrexate injected so you don't have any stomach problems. it's a low grade of chemo, so you should have really any side effects. maybe stomach problems with the pills, that's pretty much it. don't have kids while you're on them. you'll be fine. the benefits much out weigh everything else. also, keep active and warm. I feel very normal again. although in the winter my RA is senstive.

I have been taking Enbrel & Methotrexate for close on two years now and they worked fantastically - back walking & playing bad golf with no pain. No real side effects except needle on Enbrel quite thick and painful , metho caused me slight nauseousness and upset stomach. 6 months ago came off metho to see if Enbrel alone would work and it is not as effective so next week I go back on Metho again. I do not like taking these drugs but at least my quality of life is far better. Prior to starting treatment had tried numerous other treatments with no relief and I thought I was going to have to spend the rest of my life in constant pain. At one stage couldn't walk, golf and thought I would have to give up work.

Synopsis Methorexate + Enbrel = No Pain

I am so scared to start Enbrel. It is a scary med.

I've been on Enbrel for 10 years. Prior to Enbrel, I took metho and azulfadine. I had no energy. It took so much effort to do anything... Enbrel has changed my life. One thing that I have to keep in mind is that I need a good 8 hours of sleep. If not, I'm beyond exhausted the next day. I had more side effects with the metho than with Enbrel. I was always sick with the metho. If someone sneezed near me, I knew I would be sick the next day. It was a never ending battle.

I now realize how important diet is with RA. I try to stay away from inflammatory foods (wheat, dairy, and some others). I'm very tired after I eat wheat and my hands and feet swell after wheat or dairy.

I take 2 shots of 25 mg/week. I actually take them at the same time. I use to take them on separate days, but I changed it about 5 years ago and noticed a consistent amount of energy all week long. It made a HUGE difference. I take the vials that need to be mixed. I've heard that the preloaded pens cause burning sensations.

-

All meds for RA are scary. However, the disease can be agony and extremely debilitating for many people. I would rather risk complications that can be monitored than live with chronic pain leading to deformities and immobility any day. I have just started Enbrel - have tried all of the usual suspects which didn't work. First injection has gone well (though was very sore to inject), and am looking forward to some positive results. I want my life back :-)

Ive been taking methotrexate for 3 yrs now, I just started Enbrel....can anyone tell me if you have had problems with weight gain with Enbrel? I for sure dont need to gain weight, I need to lose quite a bit. What is everyones experience with their weight? Thanks

I was diagnosed with RA in January '10, I took predisone for a week and that worked miracles...but then after that week, the pain came back. So my doc put me on metho, meloxicam, predisone and folic acid - I was still in pain everyday, so in March my doc put me on Enbrel, it was a miracle drug - pain stopped the very next day. I have been on Enbrel for a month now - I have my good and bad days, but majority of the time I am pain free =)

I will be 24 this July. I am a trim, normally active female diagnosed with RA since July 07. When I was first diagnosed I had to be on Predisone, Methotrexate and god knows what. I have since been Enbrel and Methotrexate. I was taking 8 pills of Methotrexate and now I am down to 6 with my weekly injection of Enbrel.

I have a hard time sleeping the night I take my medication, not because of pain or anything, and certainly not because I am not tired - but just difficulty sleeping. The next day I am groggy, irritable, and headaches. I do have a lot of headaches while on Methotrexate but nothing that you can't manage.

The main important thing when being on methotrexate is you HAVE to take folic acid supplements. I forgot and I got in the habit of not taking them and the side effects of folic acid defiency is not fun. Confusion, forgetfullness, irritiable, stomach pains, feeling that you burnt you mouth and tongue with super hot chocolate 24/7, etc...

If you are fine without the methotrexate - I wouldn't go on it. It is a pretty serious medication and with all medications I can't see long term side effects be anything good, especially with the severity of methotrexate. Also, methotrexate can not be taken if you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant or breast feeding - so if you are at that stage in your life, no sense in switching now. Plus, I can't see your physician switching your medication - or your insurance unless they have proof that previous approved methods haven't worked. Just a thought. Good Luck.

Finally a diagnosis...well sort of...narrowed down to psoriatic arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis waiting on more test results. Can someone please explain the purpose of starting methotrexate with all its nasty side effects if enbrel has fewer and seems to work better from what I am reading. Just curious and going back to the doc in a few weeks. Wondering if I can ask to start on enbrel instead of suffer through meth first.

i have been on the drugs for my RA since 2007 when the doctors foud why i was in so much pain for the past 2.5 years Im on 20mg of Methotrexate once a week with 5 mg of folic acid a couple of days before and 1000mg of Sulfasalazine twice a day i was also on prednisone and diclofenac i have stoped taking the prednisone as i hade rapid weight gain while i was on it but other than that all has been good i have had no other side effects from methotrexate at all. my wife and i want to have kids but i need to be off the drugs for 2 months before we can try i was off the drugs for 4 monthe but had to go back on them 2 weeks a go as the pain in my feet was getting bad, she does not understand how much pain im in when im not in remission so im back on the drugs now until december then its to the fertility doctor to get some frozen so i can be on the drugs.