I recently got on depo, on the 7th of August to be exact. My boyfriend was away for a few weeks when I went on it and I did not see him until the 23rd of August. About 5 days later I started feeling extremely tired and have felt sick to my stomach ever since. I also have experienced some spotting.... is it possible for me to be pregnant since Im on depo or am I just experiencing side affects of the depo?

Hi Guest,

Here is some information on Depo for you. Check out ALL the information, it is very helpful. Blessings to you.

Oh, I didnt see anything mentioned about nause. To place your mind at rest, you should get a pregnancy test though. The tiredness and nausea can be some pregnancy signs.

Hizgrace

1. Loss of Bone Mineral Density

Use of Depo-Provera CI reduces serum estrogen levels and is associated with

significant loss of bone mineral density (BMD) as bone metabolism accommodates

to a lower estrogen level. This loss of BMD is of particular concern during

adolescence and early adulthood, a critical period of bone accretion. It is

unknown if use of Depo-Provera CI by younger women will reduce peak bone

mass and increase the risk for osteoporotic fracture in later life. In both adults

and adolescents, the decrease in BMD appears to be at least partially reversible

after Depo-Provera CI is discontinued and ovarian estrogen production increases.

A study to assess the reversibility of loss of BMD in adolescents is ongoing.

Depo-Provera CI should be used as a long-term birth control method (e.g. longer

than 2 years) only if other birth control methods are inadequate. BMD should be

evaluated when a woman needs to continue to use Depo-Provera CI long term.

In adolescents, interpretation of BMD results should take into account patient age

and skeletal maturity.

Other birth control methods should be considered in the risk/benefit analysis for

the use of Depo-Provera CI in women with osteoporosis risk factors. Depo-

Provera CI can pose an additional risk in patients with risk factors for

osteoporosis (e.g., metabolic bone disease, chronic alcohol and/or tobacco use,

anorexia nervosa, strong family history of osteoporosis or chronic use of drugs

that can reduce bone mass such as anticonvulsants or corticosteroids).

2. Bleeding Irregularities

Most women using DEPO-PROVERA CI experience disruption of menstrual bleeding

patterns. Altered menstrual bleeding patterns include irregular or unpredictable

bleeding or spotting, or rarely, heavy or continuous bleeding. If abnormal bleeding

persists or is severe, appropriate investigation should be instituted to rule out the

possibility of organic pathology, and appropriate treatment should be instituted when

necessary.

As women continue using DEPO-PROVERA CI, fewer experience irregular

bleeding and more experience amenorrhea. By month 12 amenorrhea was reported by

55% of women, and by month 24 amenorrhea was reported by 68% of women using

DEPO-PROVERA CI.2

3. Cancer Risks

Long-term case-controlled surveillance of users of DEPO-PROVERA CI found slight or

no increased overall risk of breast cancer3 and no overall increased risk of ovarian,4

liver,5 or cervical6 cancer and a prolonged, protective effect of reducing the risk of

endometrial7 cancer in the population of users.

Effectiveness rate. Depo-Provera is highly effective in preventing pregnancy, even if a woman is a few days late in receiving a scheduled dose. It's also ideal for women who aren't likely to, or don't want to, take a pill every day. The typical effectiveness rate among users is 97 percent, meaning that three out of 100 women using the injection for one year will get pregnant.

Side effects and health risks. Prolonged use of Depo-Provera may result in bone loss, possibly putting a woman at increased risk of osteoporosis. Before choosing Depo-Provera as a long-term contraceptive — such as for two years or longer — strongly consider this risk. Your individual risk depends on other factors related to bone density, such as age, level of activity and ethnic background. You'll experience changes in your menstrual periods while using Depo-Provera. Periods may become irregular or unpredictable, or you may not bleed at all. The absence of periods isn't harmful, and periods typically return to normal after you stop using Depo-Provera. Other side effects may include weight gain, breast tenderness and depression. However, women who take Depo-Provera don't experience the side effects of estrogen exposure, such as an increased risk of blood clots and cardiovascular disease. The injection doesn't protect against STDs.

The return of normal menstrual periods after Depo-Provera can be delayed, sometimes for months. As a result, a prompt return to fertility after stopping this injection may not occur.

I have been feeling this way too I've been on the shot a long time and never had pregnancy side effects just spotting if that I dnt even get a period so I know it's not that but my tests (two) have came back negative I could b too early taking them I will try again the end of next week. I hope you can figure out what's going on.