Hi, my mother suffers from osteoporosis, and her doctor always talks about T-scores. I don’t know what is this exactly, and I don’t think my mother knows either. Can anyone give me a short explanation?

If your mother suffers from osteoporosis, it means that her bone mineral density (BMD) T-score is -2.5 or less. People with osteopenia have T-scor between -1 and – 2.5, and healthy people have 0. Above 0 is also not normal. This way of calculating bone mineral density is very important for preventing and diagnosing diseases. This way, many people find out they’re in risk, and have a treatment before they even get sick. That’s how I found out that I was losing bone mass, so I started taking minerals and vitamin D, calcium and hormonal pills. I had to take estrogen pills, because I had a low level of this hormone, and this condition usually causes losing of bone density. Low T-score is dangerous, because it means that you can easily break a bone.