Hi, my sister is 24 years old, and she has irregular menstrual periods. She is diagnosed with premature ovarian failure (POF), and I heard that this condition leads to osteoporosis. Is it true? How are her bones connected with her periods?

Hi, this is exactly what happened to me. I had irregular periods and POF for a long time, and I never suspected that it would cause so much trouble later. My bones were gradually loosing calcium, and becoming fragile. Finally, I was diagnosed with osteoporosis in my 30’s. POF condition occurs in women whose ovaries stopped producing eggs and reproductive hormones well in advance of natural menopause. Girls with POF and irregular periods are in danger of bone loss for the same reason the postmenopausal women are. We are all losing estrogen and calcium more than we should. That is why I was taking replacements for the missing reproductive hormones estrogen and progesterone. Your sister should consider it too. There are also some medicines, such as alendronate, risedronate, calcitonin and raloxifene, but they must be recommended by a doctor.