Hi, I have been taking Prilosec for my heartburn because my doctor has told me to. It helps me a lot and I am very pleased with it. But two days ago a friend of mine has told me she was prescribed with Prilosec for her ulcer. That made me wonder about the conditions Prilosec is used for. Could someone explain what is Prilosec used for?

Hi, Prilosec is a drug from the group of drugs called the proton pump inhibitors. These drugs are used in the treatment of many conditions. Heartburn and ulcers are some of the conditions where Prilosec can help with the process of recovery. Proton pump is actually an enzyme that is responsible for the synthesis of gastric acid. When this enzyme is inhibited the acid is not formed. This means that Prilosec helps in all the conditions where over secretion of gastric acid is a problem. Heartburn is caused by too much gastric acid upsetting the stomach and ulcers are also very much caused by the same problem. That is why you and your friend, even though you suffer from different conditions, take the same therapy. Prilosec is also used in the treatment of gastric reflux and some very serious hypersecretory conditions. I hope I have satisfied your curiosity.