I found out approximately two-thirds of the world's population is infected with Helicobacter pylori. What scared me is that most persons who are infected with H. pylori never suffer any symptoms related to the infection. When I have heard that this bacterium causes chronic active, chronic persistent and atrophic gastritis in adults and children, I decided to be tested. Now I want you to tell me what remedy against Helicobacter is, if person is diagnosed with it.

First I have to say that infection with Helicobacter pylori also causes duodenal and gastric ulcers. Infected persons have a 2- to 6-fold increased risk of developing gastric cancer and mucosal-associated-lymphoid-type lymphoma. Persons with active gastric or duodenal ulcers or documented history of ulcers should be definitely tested for Helicobacter pylori, and if they are infected, they should be treated. Testing for and treatment of H. pylori infection are recommended following resection of early gastric cancer and for low-grade gastric MALT lymphoma. Retesting after treatment may be prudent for patients with bleeding or otherwise complicated ulcer. Treatment recommendations special for children have not been formulated. Therapy for Helicobacter infection consists of 10 days to 2 weeks of one or two effective antibiotics. It could be for example some medicine such as amoxicillin, tetracycline, metronidazole, or clarithromycin, plus either ranitidine bismuth citrate, bismuth subsalicylate, or a proton pump inhibitor. Acid suppression with the antibiotics helps alleviate ulcer-related symptoms, such as abdominal pain, and nausea, and it helps heal gastric mucosal inflammation. This kind of therapy may enhance efficacy of the antibiotics against Helicobacter at the gastric mucosal surface.